Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

A thought about the future of a driverless car world

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
A thought about the future of a driverless car world

I tell my wife and friends when they ask how long I plan to keep my Aston, "forever". But really is that true? I'm 56 and there will be a time where I may not be able to get in and out of this car.

But more broadly, what will happen to sports cars in the world of autonomous vehicles? It's not that far out. I see a time while I'm still alive where human driven cars may not be legal to drive on many roads, or even at all as they will be a risk to all the smart cars and people inside of them.

The people that are dropping gobs of money on collectable cars, what happens to their investment? Will our cars only be able to be driven on special places or tracks? Motorsport racing will probably die as the sponsors will disappear.

What do you think will be the future for people who drive for the fun of driving?

Last edited by deckman; 03-19-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I think a true driverless world will only happen when car to car communication happens with all vehicles on the street meaning we would have to be rid of all previous versions of cars, and GPS navigation is 100% reliable. That's going to be many - many generations from now. My Chevy Cruise pushes me back into the lane if I'm not paying attention but if I take my hands off the wheel it's like a pin-ball game bouncing left and right as if I'm drunk. My wifes BMW self parks as well as our three previous Ford products, as well as the new DB11... a very cool option. However in the BMW the user interface to self park is so cumbersome, those waiting for you to find the menu and actually execute waiting to get past you would start blaring their horns, so it gets unused vs. the ford that was more accessible. I'm 64 and will never be too old to get in and out of a Vanatge, no matter how painful or silly I look doing it. I think a century from now people will still be driving, and perhaps on the freeway it will be more automated. I think the future is a bit over-hyped by the press wanting to report on cool stuff. I also think PRT systems will replace much of the obsolete but promoted light-rail of today (and the past), as a planner I keep up with these things. I also think once we get true autonomous transportation systems, all those pesky and trendy roundabouts can finally be taken out. Not a fan of that trend either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.