Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What did you do to your Aston today?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 03:45 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mathman85
I set a personal best lap time at Autobahn Country Club last evening:

In fact, I ran four laps faster than my previous record. Could've probably done more, but I was getting held up a lot... including by a pesky V10 R8 that took way too long to give me the point-by.
What tires are you running? any mods? Did you have a mic wired by the exhaust for the video/audio?

Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Car is practically stock (K&N filters being the only change that might impact power).

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Brakes: Porterfield R4
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600

Video: GoPro Hero 5 Black
Audio: Tascam DR-05 with Purple Panda Lavalier Mic (with windscreen) taped to rear bumper
Overlay: RaceChrono Pro (Android) with Dual XGPS150A and OBDLink LX

I'll be at the track again on Wednesday and, if it doesn't rain (as is forecasted), I may try to tape the mic a little higher up--maybe just under the rear spoiler--to reduce some of the harshness.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Set a new personal best a month after my last one. And with the Fabspeed X-Pipe installed, it now sounds like a proper supercar.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
^^ That was awesome, made my day ^^

Old 09-02-2019, 06:20 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
I mounted a new set of Forgeline GT1 5 lug lightweight one-piece forged monoblock wheels on my 2019 Vantage.

I think the rear can be lowered another 15mm but I'm worried about lowering the front because the wider tires might rub. Right now there is no rubbing.

I went wider with 275/40/20 F and 315/35/20 R (stock were 255/40/20 F and 295/35/20 R). I kept the same aspect ratio. I noticed the increased mechanical grip -- it feels quicker off the line with the wider rear tires and turn in is much improved with the wider front tires.

I think Forgeline got the offset spot on -- the wheels now sit flush with the fenders, giving the Vantage a more aggressive stance,

Last edited by programmatore; 09-02-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:44 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
gave my aston a thrashing up in the mountains yesterday... came up on a 997 Turbo and had no problem at all keeping up with him in the twisties... the straightaways though thankfully were pretty short which helped me keep pace pretty easily

this chassis is so well balanced it just grips like you wouldn't believe

here's the drive, I always go over and back... good times especially if you don't get any traffic on the geiger grade part, and the map does the road no justice!

Last edited by sonies; 09-03-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Jenninaj is on a distinguished road
I replaced the stock nav screen in my 2011 AM Vantage S with a new high-res TFT screen, mapped the original nav system to it, added iphone mirroring, and added front/rear cameras for parking. I put a separate thread on this site for anyone interested.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:10 PM
I upgraded my grille

Old 09-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mathman85
Set a new personal best a month after my last one. And with the Fabspeed X-Pipe installed, it now sounds like a proper supercar.

https://youtu.be/GK_XqnpOnJ4
Your GT sounds like my wants to sound, when it grows up. Looks like soooo much fun. One day I really should track my GT.
Ron

Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 AM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Installed Scrape Armor skid plates on the New Vantage. I am really impressed with this product -- it fit the lines/contours of the car perfectly!

Old 09-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Dinomd is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Diffuser installed Vantage V8

Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 AM
caltech is on a distinguished road
New Tires and Changed Rim Color

It was time for new tires and I decided to change the rim color to satin black at the same time.

I went with Pilot Sport 4s, got the wheels powder coated, and added black wheel caps.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:30 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by caltech
It was time for new tires and I decided to change the rim color to satin black at the same time.

I went with Pilot Sport 4s, got the wheels powder coated, and added black wheel caps.
Careful when getting wheels powder coated. The heat from the process can anneal the aluminum and change it's mechanical properties.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Eric997 will become famous soon enough
Wet sanded hood and roof

Let me start by saying I don't recommend anyone do this. You go through the clear coat and you're screwed.

So I bought a 2006 V8V late last year. Though I've been really happy with it for the most part, it did have some water spots on it. Wasn't too worried about it at the time as I've done some paint correction and have tools and product to take care of most things. But when I went after these with some chemical and mechanical means (heavy cut compound), nothing. After consulting a couple of experts, came to the conclusion that these are probably type 2 water spots and that wet sanding was probably the only option left. Little nervous about this as I had done very little wet sanding.

Read up on it and watched several videos and thought I would give it a try. I ended up wet sanding the whole hood and spot sanding the roof. About 2 dozen spots of different sizes on each panel...about 50 total. I actually end up doing each panel twice. Though the second time it was spot sanding only those spots that did not completely come out the first time plus refining my technique. I've got a Porter Cable random orbital buffer with 5" and 3" backing plates. I learned the buffer just does not seem to have enough power to remove the scratches left by sanding with the 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. I end up just using the 3" backing plate and either a 3" or 3.5" pads.

Anyways, been working on this over the past month and finished up yesterday with a coat of sealant. Pics below.

2/3 of the hood done

Here it is complete after the first round. Did not do a close up as you just don't see anything except the regular paint.

Last edited by Eric997; 09-29-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:00 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Aston today?