Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

If I could pump my own gas this would never happen!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Springer is an unknown quantity at this point
Please explain to this southern man why states do that???

Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Most likely to keep amateurs from smoking, talking and texting, and just doing really dumb stuff while they're sitting in a cloud of gas vapors.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey guy...I live in New Jersey too..I always have pumped my own gas...not one station had ever given me a problem...

Most gas people actually thank me for doing as scared to damage...

I am sorry to hear...my cap fits well on the door...maybe prior owner drilled...great tip

​​​​​

Old 05-02-2017, 12:15 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I had that on a Stang I rented in LA, was pretty cool, but who doesn't love the machined aluminium cap?

Yes, it's going to be very difficult to not do everything from now on. I've always gotten out and removed the cap and seated it so they could easily pull it off the door, and I'm just as pissed at myself because I've had this in thought after the last close call, but didn't act on it. I even looked at the card pad on the pump today just to make sure it was familiar with the same self pay pumps out of state, but with this jacked ankle, today wasn't the day I felt like standing on it for the duration, and got back in the car.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:05 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
wow that sucks, i'd be pissed.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:09 AM
tjbnj is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely just ask to pump your own, most guys never mind you doing their job for them. The office in the state that actually fines the stations was dissolved a few years ago and no fines have been written for years now. I never let them pump it in my Lotus for the exact reason as what happened to you. Almost all motorcyclists pump their own and they always leave them alone. Same thing. Good luck getting it touched up!!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:47 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Pump jockey rationale

I always it was for "full employment".

Internet says after WW2 a North Jersey station owner operated without attendants enabling him to discount his gas. Competitors complained and the legislators responded creating the still in place law, sighting safety (cars turned off and no smoking) rationale.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Racial slights of any kind will not be tolerated...so please conduct yourself accordingly...thanks

Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
That was the guy's name though... I'm not racist in the least

whatever

Old 05-05-2017, 02:57 PM
This is where I really value the experience and viewpoints on this board the most.

I got the estimate for the "touch up" but unfortunately it's not just a simple deal. I thought they could just do a spot 2 stage on the spot alone, but I've been told by everybody I asked [including going over and talking to the salesmen] and they all say, because it's a light color [Mako Blue], it just looks like **** and will be very noticeable.

Not what I wanted to hear. So, the real estimate is to, sand the area, spot in the color, and then clear the entire panel. And because of the location they stop at the drip channel on the roof, but front A pillar all the way around to the sills and rear bumper cover, just to fix a spot 2x5mm by the gas door. $1540. I didn't ask but I'd expect they would tape off around the window moldings, which I particularly don't like the idea of.

Of course not including 4/5 days of a rental, and I'm sure telum would have some info on diminished value for having 1/8th the car re-cleared. I'm sure that number would be steep considering it'll have paint work on my carfax [even though I have no plans to sell the car, I didn't plan for an asshat to smash my gas cap into my paint either].

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are? Do the full deal? Or just have it spotted with a brush, wetsand/polish, that's supposed to look like ***.

I do have a stone chip that's on the very edge of the front fender wheel arch I was thinking about having him do the simple touch up on so at least I know exactly how big an *** it looks like as it's in a very inconspicuous place, unlike right by the gas door.

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 05-05-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Did you raise the issue with the gas station when it happened? Can you prove that it was the attendant that caused the damage?

Old 05-05-2017, 03:38 PM
I have the text string with the manager and him saying he talked to the attendants and it doesn't seem like there was any malicious intent [yadda yadda] and to go get an estimate. So I'm not sure that would hold up in court as proof but I think it passes as they have accepted blame.

I'm not looking to screw them over [I'd like to strangle a particular neck, but] but I'm not looking to just let it go either. I'm not wired like that.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Have insurance handle the repair costs using an Aston-certified shop. If you want to pursue diminished value, that's some legwork but it can be a pretty penny. Just don't accept the insurance's offer for it - it'll be a fraction of the actual loss. Once you accept that, you're stuck with whatever you got.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:07 PM
The estimate is from FCKAM, and thank you for chiming in on the diminished value.

What I'm searching for is the path to take. Do I really want to have the whole 1/4 cleared, and a tape line in the door, hatch, drip rail, etc, for such a tiny touch up? Or should I just have it spotted and live with the results? It is a driver, it's going to be a driver, I'd love to keep it perfect but it's impossible IMO and I don't want to be doing this with every little chip it collects, especially when the rest will be on my dime. This one just happens to **** me off, but it's not my dime to fix.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I would get the whole area done, not just the touch up. I would also get the gas station to pay for it. You should not have to go through your insurance. when they pump your gas, they take responsibility for your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.