Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Questions re: Interior Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Questions re: Interior Trim Removal

Hi all-

Has anyone removed the entire rear interior of their vantage coupe before.

I'm looking to change out the interior cabin braces. However, I'm having some problems.

In particular, I'm having trouble removing the body side quarter trims.

I have the workshop manual, and according to the manual there are two fir clips that need to be released. Once I do that, then it's a function of releasing two upper spring hooks.

My problem is how much force to use for the fir clips. Again, the issue is to be careful not to break anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:14 PM
NoRush is an unknown quantity at this point
The fir clips on my DB9 Volante headliner are metal. I had to remove the headliner to fix a cable attachment and not every fir clip was reusable a second time as their shape can distort under force of removal. So have some extras on hand before you start.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NoRush
The fir clips on my DB9 Volante headliner are metal. I had to remove the headliner to fix a cable attachment and not every fir clip was reusable a second time as their shape can distort under force of removal. So have some extras on hand before you start.
Ah, so it sounds like some brute force is required? I'm not concerned about damaging the fir clips (those can be replaced). I'm worried about destroying the trim part itself.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:59 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
It's unnerving to remove the rear interior quarter panels. I removed the one on my passenger side, well partly removed it anyway, so I could fish a wire from the trunk fuse box cavity up to the center console. I just pulled at the bottom edge and the panel snapped loose explosively. Not exactly fir clips, rather metal spring clips that fall off easily and disappear into the bowels of the body never to be found again. The top clips are kind of like screws with washers on them that fit into slots on the car. A terrible PIA to get put back together. Don't just pull straight out on those or they will be irreparably damaged. After popping the lower clips loose slide the whole panel downward while applying a little pressure holding it in place horizontally. Hope that makes sense... You just want to slide it downwards and not in towards the interior of the car. Plus if you're a normal size human being get ready to do some circus-level contortions and also learn some new swear words. I did not enjoy it at all.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
It's unnerving to remove the rear interior quarter panels. I removed the one on my passenger side, well partly removed it anyway, so I could fish a wire from the trunk fuse box cavity up to the center console. I just pulled at the bottom edge and the panel snapped loose explosively. Not exactly fir clips, rather metal spring clips that fall off easily and disappear into the bowels of the body never to be found again. The top clips are kind of like screws with washers on them that fit into slots on the car. A terrible PIA to get put back together. Don't just pull straight out on those or they will be irreparably damaged. After popping the lower clips loose slide the whole panel downward while applying a little pressure holding it in place horizontally. Hope that makes sense... You just want to slide it downwards and not in towards the interior of the car. Plus if you're a normal size human being get ready to do some circus-level contortions and also learn some new swear words. I did not enjoy it at all.
Got it. The lower clips are the problem. I understood the upper clips was a sliding action since I have the assembly diagram. I just couldn't get the lower clips to budge.

Thanks for the info!!

TAC

Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 AM
jfdeasy9608 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure, but this might help. I made this when I replaced the Driver's Seat Belt.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Seat belt Replacement.pdf (449.7 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by jfdeasy9608
Not sure, but this might help. I made this when I replaced the Driver's Seat Belt.
Thanks. This was just what I needed. After all this, though, I found out the interior rear quarters don't needed to be removed to replace the cabin braces!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.