Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2012 Vantage S Convertible or 2016 M4 convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Someone must have been watching too much Doug Demuro or Tavarish to even think of comparing reliability between an Aston and a BMW. Not heard a horror story yet about an Aston, but dam sure have heard a bunch of horror stories about BMW's. Like was posted earlier----they are not in the same league. Be a commoner and buy the BMW, or join the refined crowd and drive the Aston.
+1, I too, am a victim. Six months ago I had a rod bearing failure in an e90 m3 with 53k miles. Engine replacement cost: $33k. After being denied goodwill at one dealership, another came through, but I still had to pay ~30% ($7,500).

F U BMW

Old 05-24-2017, 11:02 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
I've owned 4 m3's (2 e46 and 2 e92)

Thought about new m4 when I bought my aston 4 years ago. So glad I didn't.

Aston is exotic m4 is not. Driving wise M4 has more tech and can be more fun to drive but still not a Aston

Old 05-25-2017, 04:52 AM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Lve2xlr8
+1, I too, am a victim. Six months ago I had a rod bearing failure in an e90 m3 with 53k miles. Engine replacement cost: $33k. After being denied goodwill at one dealership, another came through, but I still had to pay ~30% ($7,500).

F U BMW
Lucky they came through even at 70%. That issue plagues the e46, e90/92, and the e60 ///M (M coupe too). I expected the same issue with my e46 but I swapped them out as preventative maintenance.

To the OP...
The Aston is special. For me I opted to go with a car such as this since I can do my own maintenance. I was also able to pick up a well cared for used car without getting a loan on it. A new one is too rich for my blood at this time in my life. I love the V8 and a manual gearbox.. The timeless design is perfection.

Have you decided on warranty for the 2012? Does this concern you or did you plan on getting a good indy for maintenance. Sport shift models do uses a hydraulic pump similar to how the BMW SMG system works. Probably a pricy repair too. The m4 would obviously still have warranty and possibly a maintenance package still.

Last edited by svre46; 05-25-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 AM
dannyc414 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, the warranty is something I've been thinking through as well. I would certainly at least get a independent warranty, but have also heard about an inspection program that AM has that might be helpful (just heard about it this morning so I really don't know). I found a 2014 non-S model that has the manual transmission last night as well so they are out there. I know I'll give up a little performance, but worth it for the manual in my opinion!

Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 AM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dannyc414
Yes, the warranty is something I've been thinking through as well. I would certainly at least get a independent warranty, but have also heard about an inspection program that AM has that might be helpful (just heard about it this morning so I really don't know). I found a 2014 non-S model that has the manual transmission last night as well so they are out there. I know I'll give up a little performance, but worth it for the manual in my opinion!
Sounds like a good move. You are right about AM having an extended warranty program. I believe is has to pass their inspection without any issues to be approved along with the service stamps etc.

Good luck with the search!

Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
There are vantage S coupe models with a stick but they did not make a stick for the U.S. market in the roadster model.

Again, this is not true. I have the order sheet for the Vantage V8S, and as of 2014 it was possible to order a roadster with a Manual.

If you don't believe me, I can send it to you.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
This is not definitive on the number of manual roadsters out there, but a quick search on cars.com says that there are 24 "manual V8V roadsters" listed for sale nationwide.

I did a quick check, and of these 24, ~8 are actual manuals, the rest I couldn't tell or are ASM.

So they do indeed make roadsters in a manual transmission for sale in the US, but not a lot of them.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28112&zc=30076

Personally, I have an ASM roadster and I am very happy with it. Some talk about how clunky the ASM transmission is, but if you put in the work to learn how to drive the car with the ASM and stay engaged while driving, it works flawlessly and is a lot of fun. To me saying the ASM is clunky is like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick saying a manual is clunky. Not taking anything away from stick cars - they are great too - but don't think, with the V8V, you completely lose the feel of driving the car like you would on other non-stick makes/models.

Last edited by mindscape9; 05-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:23 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
This was always a sore point when searching for a stick, nearly all ASM's are listed as manuals, because that's what ASM means.

Automated Shift Manual

Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
That is definitely annoying. As another comparion point, there are an additional 58 V8V roadsters listed for sale nationwide that are listed as automatic, 3 listed as automanual, and 8 listed as unknown. I'm sure the unknowns are by some poor used car dealer trying to drive an ASM thinking "wtf is this?"

Old 05-25-2017, 11:34 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
If I remember right Aston estimated that Roadster/Coupe were split 50/50 but sticks were about 30% in total. In the early cars I believe that number is low, in the 4.7's I believe it's high.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:06 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
This was always a sore point when searching for a stick, nearly all ASM's are listed as manuals, because that's what ASM means.

Automated Shift Manual
Isn't 'automated manual' kind of an oxymoron?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Still accurate in that you have to pull a paddle to shift, or it can be driven as an automatic. But I would have named it something else.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 PM
dannyc414 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, and I'm almost positive that the V8V S models are ONLY available in the ASM, that's what is frustrating for me. You add horsepower and torque as well as feedback, etc and only offer the ASM?! Why?

Old 05-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
There definitely are manual V8VS's around.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a V8VS Roadster with 6sp manual for sale in Canada... And if we got them you sure have them in the US

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Aston+Mar...PO&orup=3_15_3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.