Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Skywagon's 2007 V8 Vantage Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:32 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by handyman2009
The tail lights in the youtube video had a black surround but in your pictures they are grey, did you replace them??
The edges were covered in black vinyl by Karl Franz when he owned the car to create that look. I removed all the vinyl wrap right after I purchased it. They are the same lights. I think the gray surrounds blend better with the Tungsten Silver color.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words. I'm starting to get excited to see it completed. I was just out in the shop completing some tasks on the front end. The oil cooler is now adjusted for a little clearance to the mesh. I added a spacer under the front mount holes to angle the bottom of the cooler back slightly. That gave me 1/8" clearance now. I'll put some foam tape between the grille and the cooler as well. I straightened the few bent fins on the cooler and repainted it flat black. I'm done for tonight. I might rest tomorrow and the work week will prevent much progress. I still might escape out there for some little projects.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Love your thread! Great work!

Old 06-26-2017, 02:47 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skywagon
I think I will run the sport pack wheels for now and see. I may consider recoating them a different/darker color and retain the diamond cut faces. Like these:

Has anyone recoated the sport pack wheels in a dark color or black and retained the diamond turned faces? I know the N400 came with the darker wheels I show above but a set done in black intrigues me a little. It would resemble the later DBS wheels without having to go with 20's. I may decide to run rear spacers at least to help with the visual offset; the front wheels do not bother me with their current offset.
My wheels are also Sport Pack but they were repainted by the previous owner in a very dark grey, looks pretty good on the car but like you I was thinking of getting them painted black with diamond cut but instead of putting a clear coat I was going to get the clear tinted so the diamond cut wouldn't be silver but more like these wheels that I had on my BMW

This is an OEM BMW M3 wheels, with diamond cut and clear

And this is my Sport Pack wheels now

Last edited by handyman2009; 06-26-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: my sport pack wheel now
Old 06-26-2017, 03:53 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
That is exactly my thought path as well. My idea was from either the late DBS wheels or the current M2/M3/M4 wheels like you referenced above. I used to own an early F80 and I did have a love/hate relationship with those wheels though thinking back. When they are clean they are beautiful. When they are dirty they do not look so great. And the stock pads on the F80 were horrible on brake dust. That is why I am leaning towards the dark gray as your wheels are currently but with the diamond turned faces.

What size tires are you running? They look over-sized.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I am running 245/40R19 and 285/35R19 just like the newer Vantage. The tires are Continental ExtremeContact DW (no longer available as they have been replaced by ExtremeContact Sport)

A question I have for you, how do you remove the window trim? I want to have them either powder coated black like all other chrome I had on the car or wrap them black if I couldn't remove them. Thanks

Old 06-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by handyman2009
I am running 245/40R19 and 285/35R19 just like the newer Vantage. The tires are Continental ExtremeContact DW (no longer available as they have been replaced by ExtremeContact Sport)

A question I have for you, how do you remove the window trim? I want to have them either powder coated black like all other chrome I had on the car or wrap them black if I couldn't remove them. Thanks
The window trim is not that bad, you just need to be careful. There are many torx head screws (exact number I cannot remember) that run above the drivers window. Otherwise, the rest of the trim goes in on clips that are riveted to the body. To access all the screws you will need to manipulate the seal covering some of them out of the way. They are evenly spaced for the most part so sort of easy to find them all. Careful on removing the trim from behind the door. It pulls straight out out on part of it but it has a tab that slides in a the very back going towards the rear of the car. You will want to do a careful wiggle motion (for lack of better wording) to release the clips. You can also use a plastic trim tool between it and the window to help get them out. Just make sure your force is straight out so you do not bend up the trim and/or the clip. The long section slides into the rear curved section. You can see that seam 2/3 of the way back on the rear window. The front slides forward to be released. Also, tape the roof line along the edge to make sure none of the trim comes in contact with your paint, especially at the front edge. My procedure was to remove the screws moving forward from the back side of the door opening (that way the last screw is at the front, where the paint can get scratched the easiest). I would then grab the trim and start to wiggle it out at the back. Once I have the long piece released from the clips I would slide the 2 pieces apart. Then I would remove the rest of the trim. Hope that part makes sense.

For the trim on the doors, the main sections slide off and the pieces between the mirror mount are taped on. Those are easy.

Overall, I would recommend vinyl wrapping the trim if you want it black. There are seals that are taped directly to the trim and I am not sure you will be able to save (foam type). I need to look for some of that material as one of my trim sections has a small tear in the seal.

Last edited by skywagon; 06-27-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:29 AM
Thanks I guess vinyl wrap it is for now, maybe later I will upgrade to the factory black trim.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:04 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Are n400 sills available ? Very interested

Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by oo7
Are n400 sills available ? Very interested
I have had several inquiries regarding the N400 sills. I have them on my workbench to detail and photograph this next week. The reassembly of the car has taken a little longer than planned. I am needing to get it back off my lift so I can perform a major service on one of my other vehicles. Back to the sills, they are painted a decent match for Tungsten Silver but I would still recommend a repaint. As I learned during this project, the initial recommended color matches by 3 different paint systems yielded nothing that that matched the factory paint. We had to use a couple of them as a basis to create a custom blend for my car. I even opted to blend onto neighboring panels and re-clear them as well to ensure a great match/transition. Because these cars are hand painted at the factory, there may be more variability between cars for the same color vs other manufacturers that use robots to paint their cars. There can be variations based on ambient conditions as well (temp, humidity, etc.).

I am planning on going down a list based on inquiries I have received via PM. There are 3 people ahead of you; if they pass on them I will contact you via PM. Thanks for asking though.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:16 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I am familiar with the variations, I had a really tough time matching when I had front and present sills resprayed, was only successful thanks to an "artist" in manhiem pa specializing in matching paint.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Great Build!!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by oo7
I am familiar with the variations, I had a really tough time matching when I had front and present sills resprayed, was only successful thanks to an "artist" in manhiem pa specializing in matching paint.
I am thankful for the shop I used. They did create a match that could have probably been just fine for panel painting. I am glad I opted for the additional effort as it now looks factory in person. The N400 sills on the car were an eyesore to me due to the paint mismatch.

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Great Build!!
Thanks Stuart! I have the V12 clutch kit you sent me sitting on the bench. I am going to get this part of the project completed first. I want to make sure I have all of these check engine lights satisfied before I start the clutch swap. Running the car with all of these things disconnected really can aggravate it.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Wow. You don't visit the forum as frequently and then you discover all sorts of treats when you pop in.

The car is looking fantastic. Great job. Congrats.

FYI, the blue wrap was just me having fun and teaching myself a new skill. I was never intending for it to be a long term thing. But when the opportunity presented itself to buy a new Vantage, the plan was to restore the car back to its original color. The sales team at my dealership are personal friends and they encouraged me to try to sell it with the wrap on and see how it did. They allowed my car to sit in the showroom even though it was not a consignment deal.

I wasn't in a rush to sell my car since the new car was going to take about 8 months to build. Much to the dealership's surprise, I wound up selling the car for a quite a tidy profit and the price was even higher than newer cars they had on the floor with thousands fewer miles. In fact, my final price was 15K more than I was offered for it in trade.
As an aside, I just got a letter in the mail from the dealership offering to buy my current Aston from me. That ain't gonna happen though.
Even as a partially color-blind person, I could clearly tell the N400 sills were never really color-matched. I bought them from a guy on Pistonheads who had them painted by a local Jaguar shop in the UK prior to shipping them. They only used the paint code since my car was never there to match it with.

Oh, and the little brackets on either side of the license plate were responsible for saving the car from much worse damage when that girl drove into my rear bumper years ago. Her car hit squarely on one of the little extrusions which absorbed all the impact. The only things needing to be replaced were the diffuser and the bumper support beam (which held the extrusions that you removed. LOL). The bumper cover was just repainted as it had no damage. The body shop also replaced the transmission oil cooler because a few of the vanes were bent. This was totally unnecessary but was the product of our insurance industry at work to maximize profits for all.

Believe it or not, that little bit of repair wound up costing a total of $35,500

The girl only had minimum collision coverage ($10K). I believe that State Farm wound up putting her on a monthly payment plan in order to repay the difference. So, word to the wise, increase the collision coverage on all your cars' insurance policies. Increasing my property damage coverage from $100K to $500K only cost me $12 more a year. (yes, only twelve dollars!)

Keep up the great work.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:19 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Car looks great! Only suggestion I would have is get the lug nuts color matched or get black lug nuts so they stand out much less and blend in more.

Other than that awesome! Enjoy her

Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Rwp137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking really nice....great work!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.