Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8VS Hood Vent Mesh Color

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Cobra66 is on a distinguished road
V8VS Hood Vent Mesh Color

Hi guys, I have a query about the correct color to repaint the hood vent mesh on my Vantage S. Have had the car a few weeks now and one of the minor issues is the vent mesh appears 2-toned as some of the original paint has peeled. I have seen reference to Platinum Silver and Platinum - dark grey. The car is Meteorite Silver. The mesh is a different tone to the car. It actually looks like it is powder coated? I intend to remove, scrub, de wax, etc. I guess primer is a good step to get the paint to stick. Not sure if hi-temp or caliber paint is the right choice as there is a lot of heat coming out of the vents at times. Pretty much anything would look better then they do now. Regards Cobra66.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 AM
EuroKip is an unknown quantity at this point
It's customary to match the hood with the fender vents. It was an up charge on my car for silver.
Looks great on white. It's always a personal preference however.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:37 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
My 09 non S had all the mesh light grey/silver just like my callipers but I got them powder coated satin black along with the stalk in the fenders, front 6 bar grill and exhaust tips. I personally like the black over chrome with my Meteorite Silver.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Hi All,

I decided to take a punt on the color and bought some Dupli-color Engine enamel in Cast Iron (Code DE1651). On the can it looked a bit dark (dark grey) but came out great. On the upside the Dupli-color engine enamel does not need primer and being hi-temp should handle the heat ok. The finish looks silver and has a semi-gloss finish.

The end result was pretty good and a very close match to the guard vent mesh. With hindsight there is also a matching hi-temp engine enamel clear that I could have used but I am still happy with the end result. Just a word of warning - the mesh is very soft and easily bent or damaged.

Cobra66.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Good job, that looks great.
Ron

Old 07-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Are the mesh vents easy to remove? What is the process, I need to paint mine, too.
CATTMAN

Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
good result Brian

made me look at mine - they could probably do with a touch up too

Graeme

Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Hood vents are very easy 6 plastic nuts, but be careful not distort the vent as they are also easy to dent. The side vent are attached to the stalk with 3 metal nuts, again very easy to remove on the driver side but the fender liner as to be removed or loosen to access. On the passenger side, the liner has to come out as the ECU bracket has to be loosen to access the last bolt but again not too difficult.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Hi Guys, Handyman2009 has already given a good description. I have attached a photo of what they look like taken out. Despite having the cutouts you still have to pull the hood lining down a little to get them out and as he has mentioned you need to be careful as they are quite soft and easily bent. It is a bit fiddly but not difficult. I did not bother with the guard mesh as you can hardly see them in any case and they did not have the same issue as the hood which appeared 2 tone as the surface had peeled slightly. Three light coats 20 minutes apart and I let the paint dry for about 4 hours to harden and slide a piece of normal photocopy papers doubled over between the hood bolts and lining to help prevent the threads scrapping or scratching the fresh paint. I am far from a technician but can easily handle this. Also just be really careful leaning on the aluminium guards.

Good luck.

For my next trick(s) I will be following Repants' video to remove the painted plastic trim on my taillight to replace it (full of condensation and brake leds dying or dead - I've already had it apart once and dried it out but it soon died again). I am not too keen on that one. Then replacing the outer case on my glass key - the previous owner dropped in the week before I picked the car up. Just waiting for the parts to arrive which are now overdue as Fedex has lost them somewhere in transit due to a duplicated tracking number - seems they get Dubai and Dural NSW mixed up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.