Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Volante latch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Volante latch

2009 DB9 Volante. American passenger side latching mechanism for the rear lid isnt working properly. Making a ratcheting sound and doesn't complete the movement to latch down the rear deck portion. Sounds like a gear may have stripped a bit. I know I've only got one or two more cycles before it's shot so I hesitant to cycle it without having a plan for repair/replacement.
Any assistance out there? It's right at the very end of either the raised or lowered portion of it.

Last edited by Old phart; 08-03-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
You are talking about the tonneau cover, correct?

If so, the latch is opened and closed by a motor and cable system, meaning the motor turns the cable and the cable turns a wheel for a lack of a better description and moves the latch.
On mine the cable was binding and preventing the latch from moving, to check just disconnect the two pistons from the tonneau cover and hold the cover open and have someone open and close the roof with the switch while you watch what happens and you should see where it is binding pretty easily.

Note: Do this will cause you to get a Roof Fault error message, just let the system sit for 15-20 minutes till it unscrambles its brain and then put the key in and close or open the roof, whichever you want.

I suggest either having a battery tender hooked up or the car running, because that roof uses a lot of juice.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Thank you. Was on a trip to the coast. Had my emergency allen wrench out and ready to go. Will give it a look Saturday morning.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:56 PM
So I disconnected the struts and got a good look. The gear that works the mechanism to lock down the cover is stripped. In order to take the unit out it looks like I have to disassemble a major part of the main roof structure. Looks like it's going to be a dealer fix.
My temp fix was to remove the piece on the cover that it latches to so it would at least sit flush. Top up you can't tell but with it down there is a little rise on the faulty side.
Anyone go through this and have a ballpark estimate?

Quick update - Saw they are for sale on AM Bits for $144 pounds. Gonna give it a try. Checked in the repair manual and apparently the whole top is only held down by 6 bolts. Anticipating it to be a 4 pint job Wish me luck.

Last edited by Old phart; 08-07-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:07 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Good Luck...I have seen you post many times and seem like a good guy! My only thought is simple...fix first then 4 pints...lol

Old 07-04-2022, 11:41 AM
Soccerdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Old Phart, thanks for shedding a little more light on this sore subject. I clearly see the stripped gear. Did you end up taking it to the Dealership, or did you end up tackling it yourself? My real question however is how did you get the tonneau cover to release enabling it to be opened manually? Once opened, I’d at least have a chance of figuring things out on what’s going on in there, but getting that cover open seems to be the bigger issue….

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.