Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replace or patch this tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
They plugged mine, after giving me the "we can't be responsible..." where I cut them off and said then don't even write me a receipt, just plug my tire please. It still have 8mm tread. I put 15,000 miles on that plug before having to put new tires on.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:41 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I had a run flat tire plugged and patched by absolving the tire repair company of any liability ( and paying in cash &#128516

Old 08-15-2017, 01:05 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hsm precision
If you haven't seen this, worth reading through - not using the correct jack points (especially if having someone else do the work) can be catastrophic....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...firestone.html
I did see that, pretty scary. Basically just looks like they stuck the jack in too far away from the jack points. I'm not sure I'm convinced that car is totalled, but still a great heads up.

I didn't use a board to spread out the pressure from the jack but will do that next time, or the hockey puck approach. I plan to DIY oil changes at least on this car and a decat pipe soon, so definitely want to make sure I"m jacking it correctly.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
They plugged mine, after giving me the "we can't be responsible..." where I cut them off and said then don't even write me a receipt, just plug my tire please. It still have 8mm tread. I put 15,000 miles on that plug before having to put new tires on.
Basically what happened. Had some errands to run so through the wheel in the back of the Raptor; first 2 places said it's against policy and refused to examine it any further. Third place has done tires and minor brake work on several of my cars over the years and knows me; first guy at the counter did the same "nope, not going to touch it b/c of liablity" but then I saw a guy who has helped me several times and said it was no problem, assured me it was not overly dangerous as well. He took the tire off and said the screw was so short it just barely even pierced the inside of the tire and that the patch should be just fine. He didn't charge me anything, and the voice mail said "give me a call back" rather than "your car is ready" like normal, so I'm sure that was for liabilty reasons. I gave him a $20 for lunch at least.

They just did patch (they don't plug), so this is how it looks. Is the suggestion I should also plug it, but won't that possibly push the patch off on the inside of the wheel? I presume it's best to do a plug/patch hybrid or plug first and then patch, so I'm just going to leave it as is. The car has TPMS and the tires have steel belt reinforced sidewalls - for street use I'm not concerned. I drove probably 50 miles on my 911 before realizing the rear was completely flat - sidewalls are so firm. Mostly likely the worst case is I'll walk out to the car in the garage and see it's gone flat or TPMS will yell at me when starting. No reason to get a new tire with 6/32nds left on a 3 year old tire, let alone replace all the tires or go mismatched.

Attached Images  

Last edited by MikeR397; 08-15-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:39 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MikeR397
Basically what happened. Had some errands to run so through the wheel in the back of the Raptor; first 2 places said it's against policy and refused to examine it any further. Third place has done tires and minor brake work on several of my cars over the years and knows me; first guy at the counter did the same "nope, not going to touch it b/c of liablity" but then I saw a guy who has helped me several times and said it was no problem, assured me it was not overly dangerous as well. He took the tire off and said the screw was so short it just barely even pierced the inside of the tire and that the patch should be just fine. He didn't charge me anything, and the voice mail said "give me a call back" rather than "your car is ready" like normal, so I'm sure that was for liabilty reasons. I gave him a $20 for lunch at least.

They just did patch (they don't plug), so this is how it looks. Is the suggestion I should also plug it, but won't that possibly push the patch off on the inside of the wheel? I presume it's best to do a plug/patch hybrid or plug first and then patch, so I'm just going to leave it as is. The car has TPMS and the tires have steel belt reinforced sidewalls - for street use I'm not concerned. I drove probably 50 miles on my 911 before realizing the rear was completely flat - sidewalls are so firm. Mostly likely the worst case is I'll walk out to the car in the garage and see it's gone flat or TPMS will yell at me when starting. No reason to get a new tire with 6/32nds left on a 3 year old tire, let alone replace all the tires or go mismatched.
Because it was on the edge I would have preferred a plug because the flex at that point might work against a patch, but I definitely defer to somebody that does this for a living and saw it in person.

My RE050 tires on my Z were not runflats like they use on the BMW's [at twice the price] but I had one go to zero psi and it was driving just fine, nearly like it wasn't even flat, I didn't even put the spare on till I got home. So the RE050's will definitely run with 0 psi like an RE050 RFT, for half the cost. Not sure if yours are still the original factory or not but the tread looks right.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:48 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
My rule is that if the screw did not go all the way through the tire, and it holds air, I leave it alone

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.