6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   What Battery to use? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/412206-what-battery-use.html)

got one 09-19-2017 11:41 AM

What Battery to use?

Searched but didn't find too much so figured I would start a new thread.

Looking for recommendations and reasons why of choice.

2007 Aston Martin Vantage Coupe.

Which car battery should I use and where would be the best place/price to get it?

davidm17 09-19-2017 12:57 PM

I think there are a couple battery threads on here. If you just want a standard lead-acid battery then pick your favorite brand. Different brands seem to be better in different sizes so you could research that some if you want. I went with an AGM battery when I replaced mine. Pepboys sells the Bosch line of AGM batteries and they get pretty good reviews. Or you could get one online.

If you want to save some weight you could get Redpant's mounting bracket and Braille battery. It's pricey compare to just replacing the battery, though.

David

Redpants 09-20-2017 05:08 PM

Group 49 battery. A few people have had me install non-OEM direct replacement batteries in their cars.
If you want a different type, you'll need an adapter to fit it because of the way they're mounted.

Originally Posted by davidm17 (Post 4665910)
If you want to save some weight you could get Redpant's mounting bracket and Braille battery. It's pricey compare to just replacing the battery, though.

Yeah, the battery and mount together add up, but the mount only needs to be bought once. There are a few benefits, too:
-It makes swapping the battery any time after a 5-minute job. Replacing the lightweight battery only requires loosening the two cables and two bolts. Seriously easy!
-Despite being smaller and lighter, they recover better from discharge than lead-acid batteries. I'm a huge fan of AGM batteries... they've been far more robust when drained/recharged in my experience.
-And of course the weight loss benefits. What else on the car can be swapped for this price and shed nearly 30 lbs? :cool:

http://www.redpants.lol/shop/lightweight-battery-mount
Not something I'd do if you have a good battery, but something worthwhile if you want the various benefits and need to replace a bad battery.

HabitualOffender 09-21-2017 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Redpants (Post 4666201)
-And of course the weight loss benefits. What else on the car can be swapped for this price and shed nearly 30 lbs? :cool:

The driver :D

DetomasoGTS74 09-21-2017 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by got one (Post 4665889)
Searched but didn't find too much so figured I would start a new thread.

Looking for recommendations and reasons why of choice.

2007 Aston Martin Vantage Coupe.

Which car battery should I use and where would be the best place/price to get it?

Ryan-I would go with Rich (Redpants) lightweight battery and new mount. I would have gone this route if it was an option 3 years ago when I needed a replacement. 30+ lbs is break savings!

Redpants 09-22-2017 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender (Post 4666417)

I'm trying... Clare's got me on a diet lol. But I've been burning at both ends to keep up with a day job (and getting out of that day job) and getting things done with Redpants, so I don't have the time or energy to work out. Two years ago I did three Tough Mudders and a half marathon during the span of six months. Now... I can't even fit into my infamous red pants :(

Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74 (Post 4666501)
Ryan-I would go with Rich (Redpants) lightweight battery and new mount. I would have gone this route if it was an option 3 years ago when I needed a replacement. 30+ lbs is break savings!

I'll install it for a beer and carrying a couch or two when the time comes ;)

HabitualOffender 09-22-2017 10:20 AM

You know they make pants in different sizes right? ;)

I've had 2 best friends and a daughter all move in the last month, the last and worst will be tomorrow. I've got bruises I don't even know about till I touch something, and my joints are breaking down. Moving sucks even more when you're moving somebody else ;/

Redpants 09-22-2017 11:48 AM

It's the principle of the matter lol. When I got out of boot camp, I weighed 135 lbs. That was 47 lbs ago....... My normal weight should be 170 :(

HabitualOffender 09-22-2017 02:07 PM

I spent too much time in the principles office.

Yup, 135 when I was in great shape. My leather stage pants were 28". Now 185 with 30 years of added bloat, far too much around the waistline squeezing into 36's because I refuse to buy 40's!

Is the Texas move a work transfer? I don't see how you're going to be able to keep a real job much longer as many irons as you've placed in the fire.

XWCGT 12-21-2017 10:49 AM

what AGM battery does pepboys have that will replace the vantage v8 battery? model number? does pepboys have a conversion chart for the AGM battery? is it lighter?
im sure it will be a little smaller, (or maybe not) does it fit exactly like stock, stock connectors, etc? mounting??

thanks

Mark

cret 12-21-2017 01:02 PM

Any Group 49 (H8), AGM or not, is a direct replacement. AGMs cost a bit more and weight a few pounds more.

MRCW 12-21-2017 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender (Post 4666417)

ha ha... lost 20 lbs over the past couple months... no improvement in my 0 to 60 times...

HabitualOffender 12-21-2017 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MRCW (Post 4687049)
ha ha... lost 20 lbs over the past couple months... no improvement in my 0 to 60 times...

Loose another 20 and you may shave a 10th ;)

I just had the dealer put a battery in, they put a Rolls battery in it, hey, at least it's still British!

era2076 12-21-2017 10:52 PM

Reduce sugar, processed carbs, and alcohol. Protein and fat are good, but be smart. Learn to use nuts. Do not eat dinner during your normal work week.

You will accomplish much easier with reduced caloric intake than you ever will relying on exercise. Make sure you exercise :)

chr

randyb 12-22-2017 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by era2076 (Post 4687135)
Reduce sugar, processed carbs, and alcohol. Protein and fat are good, but be smart. Learn to use nuts. Do not eat dinner during your normal work week.

You will accomplish much easier with reduced caloric intake than you ever will relying on exercise. Make sure you exercise :)

chr

Reduce alcohol, are YOU crazy???

That is what keeps me sane.