Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Birthday treat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I used to start my cars and let them run a few minutes over the winter - but I read an article about the oil not covering cylinder walls - so now I avoid it somewhat (hard to do). Not sure on the priming procedure on my V12S, is it the same as I had with the previous V8 Vantages I've owned?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
The priming procedure on a manual V12V is depress clutch and gas pedal to the floor and hold them. Push start button and hold until you see the oil light in the gauge cluster go out. (The engine will not start; the starter will rotate the engine to get the oil pump to build pressure.)

Not sure about the procedure in an auto...

Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Be careful... it only works with a Ford ECU.

V12S might have a Bosch ECU.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
You are correct - Bosch on the V12S I believe!

Old 01-25-2018, 03:23 PM
PoundCake is on a distinguished road
Not turned on............but hey!?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rohnin
Did you do the oil pump priming procedure before starting?
Yes.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:10 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I couldn't imagine not driving my car for months at a time. It's torture when Kerbeck AM has it for 7 days for service and I'm in a rental. I was just in LA for 4 days, the first of which I got to drive a 2015 V12S [be still my heart], at least this time my V8 wasn't buried in 6 inches of snow like it was when I came back from a funeral in Tulsa last month!

So I'm finally back in my baby, driving the 20 miles home from the airport, got Eagles radio back on, oblivious to the world when my headlight hits the center of the door on the white fully marked NJ State explorer I was flying by, I jumped on the brakes but just a tad too late, flashers on, I pulled straight over. Didn't even realize I was doing 97, not that I wouldn't have been, but I was 2 miles from home and not even thinking about speed. He wrote me a $50 no point Delaying Traffic ticket. I don't know why, but that's 2 in a row I've barely had a wrist slap!

BTW in NJ we have all the bad stuff, brine, salt, sand, and I was concerned about how it may have affected the car but when I inspected it on a lift over the summer, it was as spotless as it was before I drove it all winter. It's a beautiful car, but it's still just a car. No way I'm driving anything else, unless it's in the service department again. I even leave my name sticker on my key and tell people it actually resides at Kerbecks service department and they just let me drive it every now and then

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 01-30-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Habitual offender, you got off lightly on that one!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Tell me about it. How about the warning I got in MD on I95 doing 86 in the Express lane! I guess over 90 he felt he had to write me something LOL

Old 01-30-2018, 10:19 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
Habitual offender, you got off lightly on that one!
You also have to take into account that in the rest of the country, everyone doesn't drive like Grandma. Save for maybe Orlando, I've never been anywhere where they drive as slow and are happy to clog up the lanes as they do in Seattle.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Check [crosses Seattle off the list of possible retirement locations]

I've heard it's almost impossible to get your license suspended in Florida, so it stays on the list.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
CamGuard

Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I used to start my cars and let them run a few minutes over the winter - but I read an article about the oil not covering cylinder walls - so now I avoid it somewhat (hard to do). Not sure on the priming procedure on my V12S, is it the same as I had with the previous V8 Vantages I've owned?
I recently read about CamGuard on a Jaguar site. I know there are a lot of 'miracle' additives for engine oil that do nothing but this one caught my attention. Like many of us, I store my Vantage for the winter months and don't start it up till spring. That spring 'dry startup' is always a bit nerve racking.

This product claims to provide long term protection for engine components. It apparently has received approval from the FAA for aviation use. They have a website at alscamguard.com. I have no affiliation with them. Amazon carries their product. Have any of you who are recreational pilots heard of it?

Old 01-30-2018, 02:46 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jagman70
I recently read about CamGuard on a Jaguar site. I know there are a lot of 'miracle' additives for engine oil that do nothing but this one caught my attention. Like many of us, I store my Vantage for the winter months and don't start it up till spring. That spring 'dry startup' is always a bit nerve racking.

This product claims to provide long term protection for engine components. It apparently has received approval from the FAA for aviation use. They have a website at alscamguard.com. I have no affiliation with them. Amazon carries their product. Have any of you who are recreational pilots heard of it?
The MSDS looks like a detergent package. I wouldn't get my hopes up on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.