6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Charging port in trunk (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/419208-charging-port-trunk.html)

VantageGT15 04-03-2018 02:59 PM

Charging port in trunk

So, I have a dumb question. I keep my 2015 Vantage GT on a trickle charge during the winter. I'm currently plugging it in to the charging port in between the seats, keeping the passenger side window cracked to let the cable out. I know there's a port in the trunk for this purpose, but if I plug it in there, I either have to close the trunk lid over the cable, kinking it (and presumably eventually ruining the cable), or leave the trunk lid slightly open to avoid crushing the cable, in which case the trunk light remains on, thus defeating the whole purpose.

Am I missing something?

J doubleU 04-03-2018 03:07 PM

You will not crush the cable with the hatch closed on it. There is plenty of room with the squishy seal, same with the door seal. You can run the cord out of the bottom and keep the windows closed.

blue2000s 04-03-2018 03:12 PM

On my '07 I use an alligator clip on the + terminal and - bump on the engine block under the hood. The hood stays down but not completely closed. I found that if I leave the hood up, the struts get sticky in that position. I made a cigarette lighter adapter but I don't want to permanently deform my weatherstripping so I don't use it.

VantageGT15 04-03-2018 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by J doubleU (Post 4706940)
You will not crush the cable with the hatch closed on it. There is plenty of room with the squishy seal, same with the door seal. You can run the cord out of the bottom and keep the windows closed.

Well, maybe, but then as blue2000s says, you run the risk of permanently deforming the seal, which could eventually lead to leaks...

Mathman85 04-03-2018 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 4706942)
On my '07 I use an alligator clip on the + terminal and - bump on the engine block under the hood. The hood stays down but not completely closed. I found that if I leave the hood up, the struts get sticky in that position. I made a cigarette lighter adapter but I don't want to permanently deform my weatherstripping so I don't use it.

+1 on alligator clips under the hood.

Batman-76 04-03-2018 04:12 PM

I use the trunk port.
The light eventually turns itself off.

To assist with routing the cable, I place a MF towel adequately folded over the latch mechanism, and run the cord through the "folds" if the towel to ensure the paint doesn't have the cord rubbing against it.

This protects the seals, and the paint work.

Not a fan of anything under hood due to tendency of those seals to foul easier and look ugly when the hood is closed :-)

blue2000s 04-03-2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Batman-76 (Post 4706959)
Not a fan of anything under hood due to tendency of those seals to foul easier and look ugly when the hood is closed :-)

I don't close the hood. There's no reason to do so.

VantageGT15 04-03-2018 04:31 PM

I use the trunk port.

To assist with routing the cable, I place a MF towel adequately folded over the latch mechanism, and run the cord through the "folds" if the towel to ensure the paint doesn't have the cord rubbing against it.

Thanks for that--didn't realize it will shut off eventually. Like the towel idea, too. I'll try that approach.

skywagon 04-03-2018 05:25 PM

There are 2 detent/latch positions on my 2007's rear hatch. You can press down lightly to engage the first position and it will be latched and not pinch the cable. I put a microfiber towel on the rear bumper to keep the cable from scratching it. You can also lock the car with the hatch in the upper position.

mto 04-03-2018 05:51 PM

I use the trunk port.

Me too. I leave the boot slightly ajar, and protect paint and seal with a towel, just in case. Just with the boot port, at least with mine, the wire may move a bit, and the trickle charger doesn't charge. So, its always good to check the charger is still charging during storage.

MikeD 04-03-2018 06:27 PM

The trunk charging point works great. You can close the trunk because whatever indent you leave in the seal won't matter. Water will not leak backwards and upwards through it. But, as has been mentioned already, the trunk light turns off after 10 minutes or so, so you can leave the trunk lid ajar. That's what I've done with my DBS for 5 1/2 months every year for 6 years (with a satin indoor cover keeping it comfortable, of course hilarious).

rohnin 04-04-2018 12:14 AM

I was at the dealership where their cars were on the trickle chargers plugged in the trunks with the trunks closed. I opened and closed them, no kinking. That answered my same question

MRCW 04-04-2018 04:47 AM

Here in Florida we get to drive our cars year round...winter storage is where we store our Christmas tree lights for 11 months😁

VantageGT15 04-04-2018 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by skywagon (Post 4706978)
There are 2 detent/latch positions on my 2007's rear hatch. You can press down lightly to engage the first position and it will be latched and not pinch the cable. I put a microfiber towel on the rear bumper to keep the cable from scratching it. You can also lock the car with the hatch in the upper position.

Mine is a roadster, so no hatch. But given the helpful responses, I'm going to try it with the trunk ajar and a MF cloth.

VantageGT15 04-04-2018 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by MRCW (Post 4707040)
Here in Florida we get to drive our cars year round...winter storage is where we store our Christmas tree lights for 11 months😁

As a former FL resident now in the Midwest, and currently looking out my window at work at 25 degree weather, 30 mph winds, as well as some snow and ice on the ground, I officially hate you. :D