Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Charging port in trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:59 PM
VantageGT15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Charging port in trunk

So, I have a dumb question. I keep my 2015 Vantage GT on a trickle charge during the winter. I'm currently plugging it in to the charging port in between the seats, keeping the passenger side window cracked to let the cable out. I know there's a port in the trunk for this purpose, but if I plug it in there, I either have to close the trunk lid over the cable, kinking it (and presumably eventually ruining the cable), or leave the trunk lid slightly open to avoid crushing the cable, in which case the trunk light remains on, thus defeating the whole purpose.

Am I missing something?

Old 04-03-2018, 03:07 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You will not crush the cable with the hatch closed on it. There is plenty of room with the squishy seal, same with the door seal. You can run the cord out of the bottom and keep the windows closed.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:12 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
On my '07 I use an alligator clip on the + terminal and - bump on the engine block under the hood. The hood stays down but not completely closed. I found that if I leave the hood up, the struts get sticky in that position. I made a cigarette lighter adapter but I don't want to permanently deform my weatherstripping so I don't use it.

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-03-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You will not crush the cable with the hatch closed on it. There is plenty of room with the squishy seal, same with the door seal. You can run the cord out of the bottom and keep the windows closed.
Well, maybe, but then as blue2000s says, you run the risk of permanently deforming the seal, which could eventually lead to leaks...

Old 04-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by blue2000s
On my '07 I use an alligator clip on the + terminal and - bump on the engine block under the hood. The hood stays down but not completely closed. I found that if I leave the hood up, the struts get sticky in that position. I made a cigarette lighter adapter but I don't want to permanently deform my weatherstripping so I don't use it.
+1 on alligator clips under the hood.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
I use the trunk port.
The light eventually turns itself off.

To assist with routing the cable, I place a MF towel adequately folded over the latch mechanism, and run the cord through the "folds" if the towel to ensure the paint doesn't have the cord rubbing against it.

This protects the seals, and the paint work.

Not a fan of anything under hood due to tendency of those seals to foul easier and look ugly when the hood is closed :-)

Old 04-03-2018, 04:28 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Batman-76
Not a fan of anything under hood due to tendency of those seals to foul easier and look ugly when the hood is closed :-)
I don't close the hood. There's no reason to do so.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:31 PM
I use the trunk port.

To assist with routing the cable, I place a MF towel adequately folded over the latch mechanism, and run the cord through the "folds" if the towel to ensure the paint doesn't have the cord rubbing against it.

Thanks for that--didn't realize it will shut off eventually. Like the towel idea, too. I'll try that approach.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:25 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
There are 2 detent/latch positions on my 2007's rear hatch. You can press down lightly to engage the first position and it will be latched and not pinch the cable. I put a microfiber towel on the rear bumper to keep the cable from scratching it. You can also lock the car with the hatch in the upper position.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:51 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I use the trunk port.

Me too. I leave the boot slightly ajar, and protect paint and seal with a towel, just in case. Just with the boot port, at least with mine, the wire may move a bit, and the trickle charger doesn't charge. So, its always good to check the charger is still charging during storage.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 PM
MikeD will become famous soon enough
The trunk charging point works great. You can close the trunk because whatever indent you leave in the seal won't matter. Water will not leak backwards and upwards through it. But, as has been mentioned already, the trunk light turns off after 10 minutes or so, so you can leave the trunk lid ajar. That's what I've done with my DBS for 5 1/2 months every year for 6 years (with a satin indoor cover keeping it comfortable, of course ).

Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I was at the dealership where their cars were on the trickle chargers plugged in the trunks with the trunks closed. I opened and closed them, no kinking. That answered my same question

Old 04-04-2018, 04:47 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Here in Florida we get to drive our cars year round...winter storage is where we store our Christmas tree lights for 11 months😁

Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by skywagon
There are 2 detent/latch positions on my 2007's rear hatch. You can press down lightly to engage the first position and it will be latched and not pinch the cable. I put a microfiber towel on the rear bumper to keep the cable from scratching it. You can also lock the car with the hatch in the upper position.
Mine is a roadster, so no hatch. But given the helpful responses, I'm going to try it with the trunk ajar and a MF cloth.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by MRCW
Here in Florida we get to drive our cars year round...winter storage is where we store our Christmas tree lights for 11 months😁
As a former FL resident now in the Midwest, and currently looking out my window at work at 25 degree weather, 30 mph winds, as well as some snow and ice on the ground, I officially hate you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Charging port in trunk