Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Things I have learned 3rd day into owning the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Kanga
Mash the throttle and use hypershift when it hits 7000 rpm.
Originally Posted by Kanga
Hypershift is changing gear using the paddle but without lifting off on the throttle. Sportshift is set up to do it when the throttle is at greater than 80% and revs are above 5500rpm.
Got it thanks !

Old 04-27-2018, 06:10 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I noticed that my V12S says 'Pure Aston Martin' on the start up screen - also on the 09, I always gave it about 10 seconds after startup to make sure it did the 'kiss' proceedure... on my 15's the sportshift would have an indication it was done.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:24 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
V12s SS III has a different strategy for clutch learning. It does it at operating temp. during a drive cycle when at a stop. Most will never hear or feel it unless you really pay attention.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:43 PM
I think I finally hear the click. For me it happens really fast within the first 5 seconds of startup. But just to be safe. I usually let it idle for 20 seconds before moving out of the garage in the morning.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Do all 4.7 have a light ticking sound at idle? I've noticed a lot of threads about this ticking sound and just also noticed a light/faint ticking sound at idle myself that almost sounds like a diesel-ish but not quite. You can't hear it inside the car but only standing outside near the engine .but since I have no other cars to compare to. Don't know if all the 4.7 sound like this. The car was pre inspected by two places. One at the exotic dealer that had its own service center and provided me with a report and another Pre Purchase Inspection done at Galpin Aston Martin that rates the car great shape other than needing a future clutch replacement. Do these cars just sound like this? Otherwise it drives like a race horse

Any local owners in the Glendale, burbank, van nuys California area?

Old 04-28-2018, 05:10 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Unlike electric coal powered cars... the Aston has a real engine and it makes some noise while it runs... no need for active sounds to mimic engine sounds...

it's normal

Old 04-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by MRCW
Unlike electric coal powered cars... the Aston has a real engine and it makes some noise while it runs... no need for active sounds to mimic engine sounds...

it's normal
​​​​​​
LOL... This!

Old 04-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Mild ticking is a "feature", but at some point (to an expert trained ear) ticking can be an issue. The service department at Galpin impressed me when I took my car there under warranty. In fact, they replaced my engine due to a serious ticking, as determined by the folks st Gaydon. One of my first posts on this forum described the unusual episode. But for most "ticks", and certainly compared to early DB9 V12s, the 4.7 is pretty robust.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hedged
Mild ticking is a "feature", but at some point (to an expert trained ear) ticking can be an issue. The service department at Galpin impressed me when I took my car there under warranty. In fact, they replaced my engine due to a serious ticking, as determined by the folks st Gaydon. One of my first posts on this forum described the unusual episode. But for most "ticks", and certainly compared to early DB9 V12s, the 4.7 is pretty robust.
Did you deal with John? He was the service advisor I dealt with. One of the most knowledgeable service advisor I've spoken to .Beverly hills wouldn't do clutch stroke count but Galpin would do a comprehensive PPI with clutch stroke count line by line .

Last edited by howzz1854; 04-28-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Yes, John is very good and I wish he would buy a second home in Charlotte!

Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by howzz1854
Did you deal with John? He was the service advisor I dealt with. One of the most knowledgeable service advisor I've spoken to .Beverly hills wouldn't do clutch stroke count but Galpin would do a comprehensive PPI with clutch stroke count line by line .
I work with John as well, he is great!
Ron

Old 04-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
In the two years I had my 09 Sportshift I never could hear the click. I had music on a USB in the center console which tool about 10 seconds to start up, so I just waited for the music before selecting a gear... in the few times I forgot and put the car in gear prematurely, it was always a regret.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:27 AM
how exactly does the oil service light work. is it Time AND Mileage based? does it light up if it hits 12 months even if it's less than 10K miles?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 PM
so i had my first quirk today. on the way home, all of a sudden the stereo went dark, no sound and the radio console display went back. i tried pressing the radio button but nothing happens. and since the radio display section went dark, i couldn't see the air con temp either. after coming home and checked a couple fuses, all was fine. the navigation display no longer pops up anymore.

then i saw online that some fine gentleman suggested to take the sat nav disc out will make the sat nav pop up again. so i located the sat nav in the trunk and tried to open the sat nav disc door and couldn't figure out how to get the disc out. checked the manual and apparently the key needs to be in to get the disc out. went back into the car put the key in, boom, the radio and sat nav screen popped up. so it looks like the sat nav disc door got moved due to vibration and slid out of place on the road. nice job AM, maybe design a sat nav disc door next time that doesn't slide vertically with the gravity.

on a related note. is there a way to prevent the sat nav display from popping up everytime? i don't use it, and i can't imagine that'll be good for the internal gears to pop up everytime.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:09 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
If you have the sat nav screen open when you turn the ignition off, it will come back up next time you turn it on. If you manually close it before ignition off, then it will stay closed. It remembers the last position it was in each time the ignition is cycled.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Things I have learned 3rd day into owning the car