Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

CCM brakes - no joy from DBS any longer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 01:07 PM
convexproblem will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by chrzesm
Sorry to read about your issue. After I have exhausted all options and ideas, I decided to replace rotors and pads at the front. Shockingly pocket painful exercise, however the vibrations were gone immediately.
Ouch. What did you do with the take off rotors and pads? Do you have them? I might be willing to buy them to experiment with lol.

CCM brakes are silicon carbide in a carbon matrix, and the surface friction comes from the silicon carbide rubbing against some other similarly hard material in the pads. Cleaners would leave some kind of persistent residue that changes the friction, but I don't see why the rotors are necessarily ruined from that. You just need to somehow remove the surface contamination, either taking a thin layer of the disk off or not. I believe the silicon carbide will actually oxidize (forming silica and CO2, with the silica being softer and wearing off) under very high temperature braking, so you should be able to slough off the top layer with some hard high speed braking (to heat the surface quickly rather than the whole rotor). Any hydrocarbons would naturally also burn off, though trace metallic salts might remain as problematic "lubricants" though I feel like they should be removable with something like vinegar.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:22 PM
Phil57DBS is an unknown quantity at this point
measure the veil of the front discs ... 0.06mm maximum !
if more, so the crowns of the CCM discs are gripped on the aluminum bowls, by the bodies of the 10 fixing screws, rusted in the carbon
so the disc must be changed it is the unique solution !

Last edited by Phil57DBS; 09-07-2022 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:47 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
My carbons squeaked so bad that I ended up converting my carbon ceramics to steel orders on my 2009 DBS. I converted back when I sold the car. I still have the kit if anyone is interested.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:09 AM
Motown79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Picked up an 09 MT DBS in mint condition and its been perfect in every way. EXCEPT a bit of squeeky breaks and a vibrating steering wheel when breaking at high speeds (160+ kph). When getting the car checked out at the dealer before pulling the trigger, they did tell me that the front breaking squeek is high and I might need to change the rotors soon. Given what we know about the absurd pricing at dealers, I have gone to a trusted AM garage, who is now suggesting to change the break pads, even though theyre at 50% of their life, as its a good first step to address the problem. Not buying the argument and after reading this thread, and perhaps chemicals were used on the rotors with the previous owner and the painful inevitable fact of having to change the rotors needs to happen. Wondering how common a vibrating steering wheel at a high speed with these cars is and if you have any views if changing the break pads could address the issue. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2022, 09:13 AM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Motown79
Picked up an 09 MT DBS in mint condition and its been perfect in every way. EXCEPT a bit of squeeky breaks and a vibrating steering wheel when breaking at high speeds (160+ kph). When getting the car checked out at the dealer before pulling the trigger, they did tell me that the front breaking squeek is high and I might need to change the rotors soon. Given what we know about the absurd pricing at dealers, I have gone to a trusted AM garage, who is now suggesting to change the break pads, even though theyre at 50% of their life, as its a good first step to address the problem. Not buying the argument and after reading this thread, and perhaps chemicals were used on the rotors with the previous owner and the painful inevitable fact of having to change the rotors needs to happen. Wondering how common a vibrating steering wheel at a high speed with these cars is and if you have any views if changing the break pads could address the issue. Thanks!
I tried almost everything on my previous DBS. I ended up going with a steel rotor conversion from RB Performance brakes. Drove the car around for a few years with zero issues and when it was time to sell, I put the carbons back on. I still have the kit in my storage. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:51 AM
Thanks but Im looking to stick to CCB.

Old 09-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Bones 53 is on a distinguished road
They have made great progress in eliminating the brake squeaking over the past few years. On my 2012 V12 Vantage, the squeaking was horrible. On my 2019 DBS, they are as quiet as a mouse.
Thanks,
JH

Old 09-05-2022, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Bones 53
They have made great progress in eliminating the brake squeaking over the past few years. On my 2012 V12 Vantage, the squeaking was horrible. On my 2019 DBS, they are as quiet as a mouse.
Thanks,
JH
I bet... Lots of new tech over the past 13 years.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:59 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Motown79
Lots of early DBS’s had steering wheel vibration at speeds around 80+ mph. This also resulted in vibration under braking. The factory released a SB to determine the imbalance in the front rotors and then balance the front wheels to compensate. Later cars came with better balanced rotors from the Brembo factory so the need to counterbalance the wheels was eliminated.

It’s possible that your DBS did not have the SB performed, or you may have a different issue. And not all DBS brakes squeal; only some. There’s a SB on eliminating the squeal (or reducing it) involving developing a pad transfer layer onto the rotors by repeated hard braking from different speeds.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:11 AM
Former Vendor
Redisc is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, just came across this post. What do you mean by chemicals being used?
You think they were refurbished?

Old 01-09-2023, 02:58 AM
chrzesm is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Redisc
Hi, just came across this post. What do you mean by chemicals being used?
You think they were refurbished?
When it comes to CCM, you should avoid any detergents (especially wheel cleaners) as they deteriorate CCM transfer layer. In my case, CCM brakes were compromised by some sort of chemical reactions to detergents used by the previous owner. Brembo suggests to use a plain soap only. After I had to replace my CCM disks draining heavily my pocket, I do clean my wheels only when they are off the car. As a routine, I cover my wheels (brakes) during every car wash.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:46 AM
Former Vendor
Ok. Thank you so much. My first thought was, that this was done with some kind of unproffesional refurbishment.
Yes, CCM discs are very "soft" and sensitive. We are actualy doing the refurbishment and upgrades on CCM discs and this treatment really help to get discs back in its original measurements or to protect them. I know how much the new cost so I do believe you are doing the you can in order to preserv them as long as possible.

Also very important is to warm them up before using them hard. Hope you are happy now. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:06 AM
Exactly as you pointed. My aim is to keep the rotors as shine and glossy as possible. I did not know CCM could be refurbished! The only method I can imagine is to put a new transfer layers or to replace bell or disk, which is not recommended by Brembo. I cannot imagine any mechanical (machining) process can be effective. Where are you based?

Old 01-09-2023, 04:36 AM
Former Vendor
You are on point.
Actually CCM are even more pleasant to work with because CCB have that additional layer and they are more hard. Our idea is probably the most unique and was developed for more that 10 year. We are using chemical and mechanical process. That means we are work on the similar process as discs are producedMECHANICAL PROCESSING: The disc is disassembled, weighed, measured with a wear gauge, inspected for structural damage and, if necessary, X-rayed.
Then, brake discs are then impregnated with polymers to fill the air pockets. This process is repeated until the disc reaches its target weight. In the third step, the carbon fibres are “coated” to protect them from further vaporisation with pyrolysis.
Then we apply an OXY COATING to the outer surface. The coating is not applied to the tread surface, only to the outer and inner surface. The coating prevents oxygen from entering the interior of the carbon-ceramic disc.

We also give out a certificate with measurments.
We are using this

All the discs are measure with carboteq so we know exactly what is going on with the disc.

The production is located in Slovenia (Europe) and we work internationaly. You can check more on https://www.redisc.si/en/.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:56 AM
Looks impressive, so I will keep your contact details. I wonder if you can comment on the following: after I have replaced my CCM I noticed the rotors do nor wear equally. Rear rotors are mirror like, while the front ones are more matt. That seems ok, probably it is a consequence of different loads, so front are much more heated. However I can also see a difference between front left and front right. The right one is more glossy while the left one is clearly more matt. In terms of the brake performance I do not see a difference, however it seems the transfer layers are different between left and right. What would be your thoughts and how to make left one more glossy? Do you think this is a structural thing? Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CCM brakes - no joy from DBS any longer