Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Windshield (tiny) rock chip repairs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 PM
chriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nice
Windshield (tiny) rock chip repairs?

I have a few pin-head size rock chips that I imagine one could put a tiny drop of some filler to make invisible. Has anyone had a successful experience fixing these? I was thinking to call Safelite, as they specialize in filling cracks and through-holes, with limited success. But perhaps little pin-head craters would be more effective?

The pic shows the two that I'd most like to fix, NW and SE of the pencil tip. The other little specs are just dust.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Most glass /windsheild shops can do it , it needs to be extra clean to be invisible . If the chip has been there a while then chances are you will still see it once “fixed”

Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by chriscmore
I have a few pin-head size rock chips that I imagine one could put a tiny drop of some filler to make invisible. Has anyone had a successful experience fixing these? I was thinking to call Safelite, as they specialize in filling cracks and through-holes, with limited success. But perhaps little pin-head craters would be more effective?

The pic shows the two that I'd most like to fix, NW and SE of the pencil tip. The other little specs are just dust.

Thanks,
Chris
I have had small windshield rock chips repaired on multiple cars. The best repair requires drilling out the chip and then installing the epoxy under a vacuum. The epoxy is then cured under an ultra violet light. It is not the same as a new windshield, there will still be a little tiny bit of optical distortion where the repair is made, but you get a pretty good result and eliminate the chance of having a chip turn into a crack.

I am pretty sure Safelite does it, in my area there is a retired guy who does it as a side gig for some extra money. He charges $50 cash.

Mark