Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 VS Coilover upgrade question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 PM
RickyG is on a distinguished road
It looks like the lift kit will fit. Need to go back to the service center to take more measurements. But iLift and Motion Control are working together towards a solution for me. Will check if I can’ also make it work with the OE dampers and springs.

Last edited by RickyG; 07-11-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 AM
It looks like we are a go. May have to replace springs to fit into the actuator. From 70 ID to 65 ID. But if i’ll have to replace the springs anyway, I’ll probably just get some coilovers instead.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickyG
I’m dropping my car off today at the AM Service Center. iLift provided a template to check whether their actuator will fit in the cup for mounting the damper.

This is the “cup”

And the damper is mounted like this:

These are the requirements for fitment:

I got those pictures from a website that added the KW hls to a vantage. The kw hls is mounted on the bottom at the spring perch unlike iLift.

Here’s the article: http://www.brrperformance.com/blog/?p=1990

Looking at the pic above of the actuator, I have my doubts if they will fit in the mounting cup. The stock springs as well look like the take up all the space of the mounting cup. If they do, then I’ll need coilovers. But if they don’t, I’ll need to find a different solution.

I am also looking at velocity AP and Swift Springs. But before I can investigate the either option, for the swift springs I need to know the ID of the OE spring, the spring length and the spring weight. I can have the service center measure the spring length and ID but I’ve put in a query to Gaydon for the spring weights. As for the VelocityAP springs, since you have them, are they straight springs or are the tapered or barrel springs? I can only use them if they are straight. Then I woundnt need the spring measurements as they simply drop in.

Thanks for the pics of the spring perch grooves. I’ve read about them but haven’t seen how it works. The pics clear things up..

They are tapered but not in the same way shown in the illustration - that illustration shows a 'conical' taper. What they really mean is a cone type spring, but in our case the taper refers to the rod thickness. The spring is still cylindrical.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 07-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Thank you Stuart. It doesn’t look like the springs will fit into the actuator,, pictured above with dimensions. iLift thinks the topmounts need to be replaced as well.

On a separate note, what are the effective spring rates of your springs? How are those spring rates compared to stock? For the V12 Vantage S...

Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Thank you Stuart. It doesn’t look like the springs will fit into the actuator,, pictured above with dimensions. iLift thinks the topmounts need to be replaced as well.

On a separate note, what are the effective spring rates of your springs? How are those spring rates compared to stock? For the V12 Vantage S...

The spring rates on the V12V are not yet finalized. They are fairly close on the front, to a Vanquish, which for our springs is a 340-520lb range.

Not sure what the OEM rates are.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-26-2018, 08:43 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
RickyG—any updates on your lift project to report? Looking forward to hearing what you end up with!

-Dan

Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Stock springs and dampers won’t work with iLift.

What will work work is I replace the springs and dampers with coilovers. Motion Control can work with iLift for a solution.
Alternatively, the lift kit of KW can be adapted to Motion Control dampers. I suppose it would work with other coilovers, it’s just that some fabrication will be needed and you’ll have to work with the manufacturer.

The cheaper and more straightforward solution would be to get the KW dampers with HLS.

For now, I’ve opted for the cheapest and most straightforward solution...choose my routes and avoid steep driveways and parking buildings. Works flawlessly so far....

I’ll revisit the lift kit if/when I decide to upgrade my dampers.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:31 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
I just received version-2 of VelocityAP springs and will be installing this weekend. Based on the dimensions of the spring, OEM shock and what I've found with the KW HLS-2 system, I think the KW HLS-2 universal hydraulic lift system will work with this spring and OEM shock combination. I'll know more once I can get exact measurements off my shocks when I take them apart. I believe the only mod required would be to have a machine shop mill a new spring perch mount groove 65mm lower down the OEM front shock. (There's already 2 additional grooves in the OEM front shock from the factory--just not low enough.) I also need to confirm the inner diameter of HLS ring cylinder to make sure it fits on the OEM shock and spring perch--might have to contact KW direct to get that as i can't find the specs anywhere in the interwebs. The OEM shock diameter is 52mm (2 inches) which seems to be pretty standard. If I could find the diameter of the KW shock cylinder, that would answer the question too as this universal lift system is designed to work on their shocks. Keep you posted!

Old 09-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Thank you. That’s basically where I’m at myself, with the exception of the velocity AP springs. I’m looking to get Swift springs.

Im having a bit of difficulty getting dimensions of the KW HLS cylinder. KW may have different sized tubes so there may be more than one kind of HLS kit, Jr I think there is only one size universal fit HLS. I’ll keep on pushing as well.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:01 PM
valor1 is an unknown quantity at this point
V12 Vantage suspension

Just wondering how the suspension design was coming along. Any updates?

Old 08-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Kevin Bird is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in the process of ordering 1-Way springs and dampers for my Gen I DBS from EXE-TC in the UK, they are the supplier for the Singer DLS suspension. The DLS uses a new piston design that's road bias and will be used in my set https://www.exe-tc.co.uk

Before I confirm the order it would good to know if there's a solution to code out the ADC?

Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 AM
Phil57DBS is an unknown quantity at this point
For chassis VH, the most successful suspension is on the Vanquish S, same wheelbase as on the DBS...
with the AMDS tool, can we recode his software in a DBS for test ?

same ADS module hardware for all
https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...-hardware.html

Old 12-05-2019, 04:52 PM
sweyant is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates on this?

Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 AM
Kevin Bird is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sweyant
Any updates on this?
My Exe-TC springs and dampers are now fitted with brilliant results. The handling and suspension control is transformed plus the steering is much more positive. Exe-TC dyno'd the original dampers to prove they were working correctly ensuring the comparison was like for like. The dyno results showed they were fine but hard was very hard and soft very soft. They're a 12+ year old design so the new units are a big step on with a 25 stage adjustment. I have them set to firm/soft rather than hard as I'll never track it

I've left the geometry as factory including right heights, its pleasure to drive now

I decided against coding out the error message as its easily cancelled by pressing READ

Old 12-06-2019, 03:59 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kevin Bird
My Exe-TC springs and dampers are now fitted with brilliant results. The handling and suspension control is transformed plus the steering is much more positive. Exe-TC dyno'd the original dampers to prove they were working correctly ensuring the comparison was like for like. The dyno results showed they were fine but hard was very hard and soft very soft. They're a 12+ year old design so the new units are a big step on with a 25 stage adjustment. I have them set to firm/soft rather than hard as I'll never track it

I've left the geometry as factory including right heights, its pleasure to drive now

I decided against coding out the error message as its easily cancelled by pressing READ
Glad to hear you are happy. I've been checking out V12VS coilover options for years but I have never been convinced that anything on the market was right for me. For example, I was dissuaded from Nitron after a bad experience was described on this forum.

Exe-TC certainly has a good reputation in the Porsche community. Are you able to be more specific/descriptive in saying how the Exe-TC is better than OEM? Can you give some specific examples of how you feel the handling and suspension control are transformed? Is there a specific set of corners or compressions/bumps that you find are dealt with better?

Do you happen to know the height adjustment range of the Exe-TC setup? (It would appear that you can leave the ride height at OEM based on your post, but can it go lower?)

Did Exe-TC give you spring rates so we can compare them to OEM?

Exe-TC's website is pretty basic, and I cannot find any Aston-specific information. How is the "25 stage adjustment" done on your setup? When you refer to "firm/soft" are you referring to separate adjustments for rebound and compression (your original post said you were going with "1-way" so I am uncertain as to your exact setup).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12 VS Coilover upgrade question