6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   DB11 - DBS Superleggera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/425580-db11-dbs-superleggera.html)

Gene G 10-19-2018 06:13 PM

DB11 - DBS Superleggera

The new DBS and the DB11 both have. 5.2 V12. The DBS has 715 hp and the DB11 has 600hp. Is the difference just in the tune or are there fiscal differences in the engines?

J doubleU 10-19-2018 08:01 PM

Everything I have seen points to tuning. Was told the gearbox is changed for the extras.

Graze 10-19-2018 10:00 PM

I think the suspension and brakes may also be different

Graze

embdenb 10-20-2018 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gene G (Post 4745390)
The new DBS and the DB11 both have. 5.2 V12. The DBS has 715 hp and the DB11 has 600hp. Is the difference just in the tune or are there fiscal differences in the engines?

The engines are the same. Increasing horsepower in pressurized engines in a lot easier than non pressurized engines. Generally this is done managing the wastegates and modifying the ecu.
My understanding is that, due to the size of the turbos, Aston has reached the horsepower limit on this engine.

Phil57DBS 10-22-2018 05:56 AM

Standard DB11 on Dyno test = 554hp :mad:
with VAP tune = 604hp
with VAP tune + 100cells cat = 626hp :)

Standard DB11 on Dyno test = 490ft-lbs = 664Nm
with VAP tune = 600ft-lbs = 813Nm !!!
with VAP tune + 100cells cat = 832Nm !!!!!! :eek:

https://www.boostaddict.com/content....wnpipes-127WHP

Gene G 10-22-2018 12:42 PM

I just wonder if you could download the tune from the new DBS and then upload it to the DB11. Anyone know if that would be possible?

AWV12 11-04-2018 01:18 AM

Test drove the DBSS Coupe yesterday.....what an impressive car!

Much more different from a DB11 than you would expect (a bigger difference than between a DB9 and the previous DBS). It is not only the extra horse power and torque (that is immense!) but also the handling, steering, suspension and (exhaust) noise........all much more involving. In GT mode you can drive it through town easily, and in Sport (or Sport+) things get really wild, especially if you drive it in manual mode (using the flippers). Braking is also very confident (a step forward from the previous DBS, that also has CCBs).

The only downside is the "lazy" ZF transmission, especially when downshifting, you really notice the delay. Strangely the downshift sound is right on (with perfect blips, burps and murmles from the exhaust) but the downshift itself takes more time than these sound bites (also in S+). A DSG transmission would make this a perfect car imho! (or a manual 7-speed gearbox, but we probably can forget about that.....). Maybe a software upgrade can make this shifting faser / more suitable to this extreme good car?

Looks are of course superb: outside the showroom you see how beautiful it is. One of the most beautiful cars out there currenty imho.

It is really a GT Sports car that could be used every day, but also for some serious driving around mountain roads or a track. For real track driving fans, you are probably better of with a Vantage, but for GT lovers like me, it is (almost) the ultimate car out there now.

Waiting for the Volante to hear the sound of the V12 in open air!

SheriffDep 11-05-2018 10:38 PM

The DB11 is a soft GT car that has around 600hp.

The DB11 AMR is the same car but different suspension, some larger carbon fiber bits, and a different tune which brings that to 630HP or so. Much sportier than the regular DB11 and from what I am told drives way different, and more like sports car.

The DBS is a totally different car with multiple personalities. It has 700hp, much more of the car made from carbon fiber, carbon ceramic brakes, and much different suspension setup. This is supposed to be world class.

Velocity AP does have a tune---about 700hp out of the 5.5L V12 twin turbo motor. I know the tune in my RRS that velocity did, due to the torque and power curve changes the way the transmission worked changed a bit. So not a dedicated tranny tune, but it did change it. Depending on the ZF unit, Velocity may, again may, be able to adjust the parameters on the transmission if needed.

Most manufacturers start with a series of cars with a certain new motor. ie.....Jag's 5.0L V-8 supercharged. They put it in all the high performance vehicles with 510hp. Then such as the Range Rover Sport (510HP) they sell the SVR version, and say wow it has 30hp more. Meanwhile with just a good tune the motor by Velocity AP can have 600HP. So as Aston has done, they de-tuned the 5.5L motor so at its base it has the 600hp. Now they can increase by Tune's the HP for newer models, AMR versions, and still use it in it top model with max HP.

Go with larger turbos and a tune, that motor could see significantly more HP without drivability issues. Good for everyone.

AWV12 11-06-2018 08:56 AM

Will be interesting to know if/when VAP have a tune for the 725 BHP DBSS available and how many BHP and torque that will result in! hilarious

Gene G 11-07-2018 12:16 PM

I would doubt that they can get much more out of the DBS with just a tune. The DBS and the DB11 engines both have the same part number. The difference in power is just in the tune.

Zettinger 11-07-2018 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Phil57DBS (Post 4745691)
Standard DB11 on Dyno test = 554hp :mad:
with VAP tune = 604hp
with VAP tune + 100cells cat = 626hp :)

Standard DB11 on Dyno test = 490ft-lbs = 664Nm
with VAP tune = 600ft-lbs = 813Nm !!!
with VAP tune + 100cells cat = 832Nm !!!!!! :eek:

https://www.boostaddict.com/content....wnpipes-127WHP

Originally Posted by AWV12 (Post 4748575)
Will be interesting to know if/when VAP have a tune for the 725 BHP DBSS available and how many BHP and torque that will result in! hilarious

Originally Posted by Gene G (Post 4748792)
I would doubt that they can get much more out of the DBS with just a tune. The DBS and the DB11 engines both have the same part number. The difference in power is just in the tune.

That is funny. Per Phil's data, VAP tune would downgrade the DBS from 725 to 604 HP. hilarious

SheriffDep 11-07-2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by AWV12 (Post 4748575)

VAP already has the tune to match the DBS numbers. They have had it for awhile now

Originally Posted by Gene G (Post 4748792)

Now I was told by a Brand Manager who knows his stuff that 800HP was the max for that motor. He did not know or elaborate if that required a change in the turbos. I also have heard the DBS and VAP tunes max that motor out with its current sized turbos. So not sure what the reality actually is.

I would suspect, that a full change of exhaust, larger turbos, and then a good tune could net 900+ hp easily without risking the motor. Most manufacturers stay well within the bounds of safely giving power.

Stuart with VAP could easily tell us.

Stuart@VelocityAP 11-13-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SheriffDep (Post 4748884)
I would suspect, that a full change of exhaust, larger turbos, and then a good tune could net 900+ hp easily without risking the motor.

"Risk".... how are we defining that. A or B?