Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Bad whine during warm up drive from power steering system -cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Bad whine during warm up drive from power steering system -cause?

ive had this whine on my power steering pump for many years now when the car is cold. sometimes the next day after driving it isnt as bad, but there for about 2 miles of driving and then, never makes a sound again. could that be a pump? almost sounds like a supercharger im wondering if anyone else has had this issue. when i first got the car 5 years ago, i thought the PS pump was low on fluid , so i topped it off and that didnt seem to help , because thats the sound it was making.. like it was low on fluid.
thanks!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:57 PM
bolteon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by XWCGT
ive had this whine on my power steering pump for many years now when the car is cold. sometimes the next day after driving it isnt as bad, but there for about 2 miles of driving and then, never makes a sound again. could that be a pump? almost sounds like a supercharger im wondering if anyone else has had this issue. when i first got the car 5 years ago, i thought the PS pump was low on fluid , so i topped it off and that didnt seem to help , because thats the sound it was making.. like it was low on fluid.
thanks!
Usually that's a belt being loose.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
thanks!
It could be one of the idler pulleys.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:50 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
That sounds more like the oil pump pressure relief valve rearing its ugly head. Steering pumps usually make the same annoying sound but change with input and temperature and get louder when hot. You could try a steering flush and fill to see if it changes and if that is your issue. Make sure all fluids are at the correct level and you may want to visit a shop that could diagnose the fault.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:16 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
I'd have the PS fluid flushed and see if that helps. Check the belt tension and condition as well. If you still have the issue then likely something with the pump itself.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Are you sure it's coming from the PS pump? What year is your car? As noted previously, the oil pressure relieve valve is known to be noisy on 06-08 cars but it does not indicate a problem with the car.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3943680

Old 10-26-2018, 05:13 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Are you sure it's coming from the PS pump? What year is your car? As noted previously, the oil pressure relieve valve is known to be noisy on 06-08 cars but it does not indicate a problem with the car.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3943680
Im pretty good with noises, but you never know.. it whines until it gets a little warm, and it sounds similar to my porsche when it had low power sterring fluid level. I think i topped it off at the dealer and that helped, but it might have been chance. bottom line, it does make the noise when cold and not warm. its a 2006 vantage manual

Old 10-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Im pretty good with noises, but you never know.. it whines until it gets a little warm, and it sounds similar to my porsche when it had low power sterring fluid level. I think i topped it off at the dealer and that helped, but it might have been chance. bottom line, it does make the noise when cold and not warm. its a 2006 vantage manual
The early cars had regular ATF for PS fluid, Aston switched to CHF11S to resolve the pilot bushing squeak and better cold temp lubrication. I've flushed numerous of the early models with CHF11S.

Can't say it will correct the issue 100%, but if it's only when idling cold and not at full lock, doesn't scream out that it's a pump issue.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 AM
s3lki3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm also getting this same noise from my DBS. I had this happen on another car of mine and it turned out to be the power steering fluid. The trick to determine that was I could hear it more when I was turning the steering wheel. Planning on bringing it up at the next service since it's not too loud currently.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:02 PM
what brand fluid do you guys use for toping off of the PS fluid. does the 2006 use ATF dextron III or something like it?
thanks!

Mk

Old 11-10-2018, 12:02 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
what brand fluid do you guys use for toping off of the PS fluid. does the 2006 use ATF dextron III or something like it?
thanks!

Mk
From the workshop manual:

Old 11-10-2018, 12:42 AM
anyone actually buy the powersterring fluid (to MY10)? i cant seem to find texaco cold weather power steering fluild

Old 11-10-2018, 08:08 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Drain and refill with the new stuff.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...405116/4650332

Old 11-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Drain and refill with the new stuff.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...405116/4650332
That's what I did. Well, it's more like cycle and replace than drain and fill, but the Pentosin is what I used last year.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Is 1 Liter enough to do the job or you need to buy 2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad whine during warm up drive from power steering system -cause?