Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

new buyer/owner question - Option A, B or C?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by davidm17
I think the first thing you need to decide is if you want a manual. If you truly don't care then I think #3 would be the choice. Color choice is completely subjective and you are the one who has to be happy with it, but I'll take silver over white. I'm biased to tungsten silver, though. Blue interior wouldn't be at the top of my list either. I think premium audio is a definite plus.

I don't know what is the price range you are looking at, but there was a 2013 black manual S for $70K available a little over a week ago. It would have been on my short list.
Yup, price point is 60-65K. I honestly don't get to concerned with the Manual vs. SS debate; I've had a 911 with Manual and my current XKR is SS. For me, in Atlanta, and the traffic here, SS is way less hassle. Given the apparent weakness of the V8V clutch, SS may be a better option. For me, the overall condition of the car with win out and if it's a Manual, cool. I'm not interested in the SSI transmission, so only a SSII with 7 gears is a consideration.

I do understand the whole "but...the manual is a drivers car...", I get it... just not too sure it's relevant to me, in this instance, living in Atlanta.

What I do care about is the overall condition of the car, especially the leather, and how the previous owner took care of it. I'm fortunate enough to have the ability to change a clutch by myself on my lift and fix just about most non-catastrophic items, but I need a solid base and a verifiable good example to start with.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:55 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
I've not driven a SS, but from what I've read on here you may want to rethink the "it's better for traffic". The auto mode seems to be pretty dismal. I would think trying to manually use the paddles in traffic is going to result in a lot of jerking and maybe stalling. Probably lots more clutch wear as well. I personally don't drive mine during high traffic times as it would just be an effort in futility here in Atl.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:09 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Your XKR is not a SS -- it's a real automatic with torque converter.

SS is a robotic manual with a clutch. Big difference.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:25 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Since the title asks for choice of A, B, or C and you have us options 1,2 and 3, I chose Roman Numeral III.

However, get the 'book' ands study it and then decide!

Old 11-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by MRCW
Since the title asks for choice of A, B, or C and you have us options 1,2 and 3, I chose Roman Numeral III.

However, get the 'book' ands study it and then decide!
Yeah... I should edit the original post!!! LOL

I do have the book, and I have read it multiple times. The problem is I decided on what I think I want, then change my mind... So am asking the folks that have been through this process before.

Cheers.

Matt.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:43 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yvr
Your XKR is not a SS -- it's a real automatic with torque converter.

SS is a robotic manual with a clutch. Big difference.
If you want the automatic you're use to; the DB9 would have that. Aston's automatic's are way more fun than anything in a Jaguar; even if the Jag may shift quicker...

Have you considered a DB9?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
If you want the automatic you're use to; the DB9 would have that. Aston's automatic's are way more fun than anything in a Jaguar; even if the Jag may shift quicker...

Have you considered a DB9?
I have considered a DB9, not really interested in it. The newer DB9, the one I'd have, is out of my budget.

Honestly, I've always liked the Vantage platform.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by englishmatt
Yup, price point is 60-65K. I honestly don't get to concerned with the Manual vs. SS debate; I've had a 911 with Manual and my current XKR is SS. For me, in Atlanta, and the traffic here, SS is way less hassle. Given the apparent weakness of the V8V clutch, SS may be a better option. For me, the overall condition of the car with win out and if it's a Manual, cool. I'm not interested in the SSI transmission, so only a SSII with 7 gears is a consideration.

I do understand the whole "but...the manual is a drivers car...", I get it... just not too sure it's relevant to me, in this instance, living in Atlanta.

What I do care about is the overall condition of the car, especially the leather, and how the previous owner took care of it. I'm fortunate enough to have the ability to change a clutch by myself on my lift and fix just about most non-catastrophic items, but I need a solid base and a verifiable good example to start with.
FYI, SS and Mans trans have the same clutch, one is just automated. The clutch life seems to be even worse with SS transmissions.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Zettinger
FYI, SS and Mans trans have the same clutch, one is just automated. The clutch life seems to be even worse with SS transmissions.
I do understand that the clutch is more of an issue with the Sport Shift I (6 spd) transmission, but per the book and reading this forum, and trade reviews... they seem to have vastly improved the slow speed issues as well as the overall performance of the transmission has been vastly approved upon with the Sports Shift II version, no?

I'm not looking for any car that has the 6-Speed SSI version. I'm only considering Manual or SSII cars.

Are the clutch concerns still as valid with SSII?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:09 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I do understand that the clutch is more of an issue with the Sport Shift I (6 spd) transmission, but per the book and reading this forum, and trade reviews... they seem to have vastly improved the slow speed issues as well as the overall performance of the transmission has been vastly approved upon with the Sports Shift II version, no?

I'm not looking for any car that has the 6-Speed SSI version. I'm only considering Manual or SSII cars.

Are the clutch concerns still as valid with SSII?
yes, especially if you live in a hilly area

Old 11-27-2018, 12:02 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
#2. You get the 2012 upgrades (make sure it's a 2012.5), and it's still a manual. I know there are differing opinions on this but I wouldn't want any sports car with an automated clutch or slush box. Unless you're a track junkie you don't get the advantages of an auto clutch. Besides the AM auto clutch was way behind the times and would drive most people nuts during regular use. My opinion and I hope I didn't leave anyone insulted.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by deckman
#2. You get the 2012 upgrades (make sure it's a 2012.5), and it's still a manual. I know there are differing opinions on this but I wouldn't want any sports car with an automated clutch or slush box. Unless you're a track junkie you don't get the advantages of an auto clutch. Besides the AM auto clutch was way behind the times and would drive most people nuts during regular use. My opinion and I hope I didn't leave anyone insulted.
Thanks for your reply. I'm also considering a 2013 V8-S, manual tranny with 15K miles. We will see where this goes!

Old 11-27-2018, 01:51 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply. I'm also considering a 2013 V8-S, manual tranny with 15K miles. We will see where this goes!
This right here would be the winner if you can swing it and as long as you like the colors. I wouldn't get a car you aren't happy with the colors no matter how good everything else is.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:56 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
There are few Vantage S cars with manual transmissions. There's likely a premium being asked for that one. You get some shiny things with the S.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
All,

Just a quick question to the members. I'm eyeing three (3) cars. They are as follows:

Option 1.) 2010 V8 Base - 17K miles, Manual 6 spd, White with Blue leather, black 20" wheels (with stock wheels also), Quick Silver exhaust (with stock exhaust also), new clutch installed at 14k, all receipts,
Std Audio, Condition overall is 9/10
If city driving, that's normal. I've replaced them low as 9,000"km" on ASM and 25,000km on 6spd...either way it's been replaced and receipts to prove the work.
I don't see many with blue leather, usually beige colors, red or black.
I like the newer bumpers and 10MY didn't get them yet(depends if you like the early style better??).
This should of also came with the old Smart Tire system(costly to fix). Beru which is newer was added in 11MY(most favored). Same goes for the Nav, this one has the old Volvo system with 1000$ update discs that has nothing newer than 2010 maps. The favored Garmin system was added in 12MY vehicles...not a good year for me if newer years are on the table of choice.

Just an FYI, the white V8V's usually belonged to the wife..just my 2cents

Option 2.) 2012 V8 Base - 10K miles, Manual 6 spd, Black on Black with Black 19" wheels, Std Audio. Totally stock except for the wheels, being a black car got a few stone chips on the front but nothing too bad. Overall condition is 9/10
Depends if it's a 12MY or 12.25MY..aka older or newer styled bumpers. But, if the 12MY V8VS below is same price group then I'd pass this on unless the S didn't appear so good in person.

Option 3.) 2012 V8-S - 30K miles, SSII Trans (didn't make manual that year), Tungsten Silver with Black Interior, stock wheels, totally stock, premium audio. Overall condition is 9/10
I love manual shift but I'm a huge fan of the ASM 7-speed in the V8VS. The crawl mode is gone and the gears ratio's are perfect for this 4.7L engine(my own opinion). I had been an Aston Martin technician for 15 years, give me a choice to pick one to drive with the 4.7L V8 and it's got to have the 7-speed ASM. This model year also has everything you would need for accessories like Garmin, upgraded wipers, Beru TPMS and the most power of the bunch, also upgraded brakes better steering response from newer style steering rack+++..etc. The added interior alcantara and "S' stitching is a cool touch in door cards, cluster hood and seats.

All 3 owners seem like really stand up guys, all three cars seem to be in real great shape. All three cars are all just about the same price.

Before I purchase I will PPI, before I purchase I will drive the 2,000 miles round trip to see all three cars.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Matt
See response in bold above..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new buyer/owner question - Option A, B or C?