Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Cheapest "Really Nice" Aston Martin on the planet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Automobilist is an unknown quantity at this point
Cheapest "Really Nice" Aston Martin on the planet?

For those of you who are addicted to Bring-A-Trailer; I bought the 1997 DB7 that was on auction last month. (And didn't sell)
I followed the auction, asked a couple questions that did not get answered, and bid accordingly.

A few days after the auction ended, I contacted the seller, to see what his deal was. Turns out he had no clue how BaT worked, and thought all he needed to do was list it and see what happened. Turns out he did want to sell it, so I gave him an offer. Quite, quite low of an offer... He countered at a price well under what Tyler Hoover just paid for his '98. I countered back a little higher than first offer, but still really low. Mr. Seller came back somewhat closer to my counteroffer. I let him sit on it for a couple days, and offered to "split the difference"... I ended up buying the car for somewhat under $20k...

Recent work on the DB7 includes: new A/C system, new tires, new brakes, new rotors, new fuel pump. Very possibly, it won't need anything expensive for a while.

Unfortunately, it's currently in a trailer plowing through snow storms, moving a bit slowly here to its new home.

Will update with a true condition, driving report when it lands here at Two Flags Farm in a couple days...

Ed

Old 11-26-2018, 07:52 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Can you post some additional pictures or the BaT link? Some car for that kind of money!

Old 11-26-2018, 10:36 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Can you post some additional pictures or the BaT link? Some car for that kind of money!
Here is the bat link.....simple search on their website. Maxed out bidding at $16,350

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-aston-martin-db7/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-27-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:54 AM
pearsonhaus will become famous soon enough
Congrats! For that price range you have purchased a nice car!

Old 11-27-2018, 08:07 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I don't get Hoovie's garage... all he does is buy cheap used cars and takes them to his mechanic

but i still watch his videos occasionally lol

Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Congratulations!!! An Aston for sub 20k is phenomenal!

Originally Posted by sonies
I don't get Hoovie's garage... all he does is buy cheap used cars and takes them to his mechanic

but i still watch his videos occasionally lol
so true!!!!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Thanks...
And don't worry, I can afford to keep it in top shape. Don't want to be that guy who buys "the cheapest" and then can't maintain/repair it.
I was trying to decide between a DB9 and a Maserati Gran Turismo at the time, but when this deal came up it was a no brainer for my first "exotic" car.

Ed

Old 11-27-2018, 08:29 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I see the same color car in the next town. Still is impressive looking to me. I was at a set of lights with my Vantage which was similar color. He was much older than me and he could be barely look over. I thought that was kind of lame. How many times are you going to be lined up with another random Aston at a red light?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
That'a a bargain... as long as there isn't too costly a repair needed. That would make a lovely daily driver. I might need to pick me one of those up. Nice one!

Last edited by Dalecannavan; 11-28-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:24 AM
Car was delivered today. Generally, it exceeded my expectations.
A few little issues:
  • taillights & license plate lights inop
  • high beams don't turn on with stalk, but do come on pulling back on stalk: flash to pass
  • central locking inop
  • antenna inop
Seems to be electrical gremlins. Fuses all ok.
Car appears to run great, though I'll really test it when I get plates on it Saturday.

Any thoughts on chasing the electric issues, besides simply tracing continuity from switch to light, etc?

Ed

Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 AM

Old 12-09-2018, 06:39 PM
rajiggyfizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
That is a lovely looking car!! Any updates?

Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Cherryblock is just really niceCherryblock is just really niceCherryblock is just really niceCherryblock is just really nice
When you consider my state tax and registration far exceeded your beautiful AM, I would say you sir are brilliant!

Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Thank you... I'm gradually building a small collection of neat "vintage" cars.
So far:
  • 1952 MG TD, owned since I was 14...
  • 1969 Beach Mk5-C Formula V
  • 1973 MB 450SL, the first year, and only year the 450SL had slim European style bumpers
  • Aston Martin DB7
Next on the list:
  • Jaguar XJ6, Series 1
  • Bentley Turbo R
  • Ford Mustang SVO

Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Aston Martin update:
Fixed most of the electrical gremlins. Mostly by simply cleaning contacts, fuses, relays, etc.
Installed new battery to ensure good voltage
Cleaned & still cleaning & conditioning the leather...
Put car on my lift and carefully inspected underside. Noted small leak from oil line. Rest of undercarriage looks excellent.

Immediate TO-DO:
  • Fix passenger side door handle (inop)
  • Fix minor leak in oil line
  • Fix power antenna
  • Fix central locking system
  • Do "paint correction", polish, etc...
  • Look into very slight front end vibration

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheapest "Really Nice" Aston Martin on the planet?