Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Underhood lighting for V12 vents

Old 01-02-2019, 05:53 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Underhood lighting for V12 vents

I'm thinking of having underhood lighting added (see picts below). I have 'tailgate' LED's and temporarily taped them in the inside of the hood and wrapped them around a ground and the battery '+' connect to see what they would look like. I did this also (see below) on a Chevy Powered Porsche 928 I had but in red LED's. What I'd do is tap somewhere that is easily accessed under hood if possible. There does not seem to be many options - I'd want hem to just be on all the time when the key is inserted either in the accessory and start positions or simply when the engine is on. Any suggestions for those that know the V12S areas I can easily tap onto? They will likely be professionally installed as I'd probably find some way to screw it up if I did it. Also picts below show white LED's - I could go a color like I did on the 928... thoughts?

Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
When I built my Halo headlights for my Vantage I pondered illuminating the inside front grill. After testing I dismissed it as I thought it was tacky. Not saying your hood grill lights would be - but the halos were enough light mods for me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - primary reason I went this way (added harness and separate relay) is so that everything can be removed and all the original wiring left intact with NO splicing or even stripping of wire insulation.

In regard to your wiring. It is very easy. You can do it the exact same way. See diagram. If you wire like this using a fuse tap then the lights will activate when the IGN=ON (KL15). If you wanted to also activate the grill lights via the remote, tie them in via the passenger footwell light (piggyback on the +12V feed to the light) - so when you press the remote and the comfort lights activate - so will the grill lights. They will stay on after IGN=OFF as long as the comfort lights (User selectable on the Entertainment Unit - I think it is 15 or 30 sec intervals. ) I tapped into fuse slot F6 in the engine bay. It is an Ignition Supply From CEM - marked SPARE (on my vehicle diagram). Use the wiring diagram for your model to find a similar available, matching fuse slot in the engine bay fuse box. You will also find a suitable grounding point. I used one near the fusebox that the fender bolts onto - it had other grounds attached. The wiring harness you buy will have everything needed (except the fuse tap, solder, shrink tape. You can't see anything unusual looking in my engine bay and no stray wires - unless a keen eye notices the extra relay.

On my Halos install I tapped into F6 in the engine bay. It is live at KL15 (Ignition ON). I had the lights hooked up to the footwell so that they came on with the remote but I ended up disconnecting that and just have them come on now with IGN=ON.

Here's the new relay mounted in the engine bay

You will need to buy a generic
BMW Halos wiring harness BMW Halos wiring harness
(amazon link provided) -Typically $12-30 - comes with relay and fuse. You need to buy the appropriate size
fuse tap fuse tap
. (amazon link provided) About $10.

Here's the Halos

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-02-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Wow - thanks!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:41 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Seems to me you posted on this over a year ago.

I was hoping that you had abandoned this grotesque idea. Did you imbibe a little too much over the Holidays?

Old 01-02-2019, 03:59 PM
No did not remember posting before - saw a video of a V12S with extensive lighting changes but thought the Vent lighting was cool, and does not change anything on the car that's visible otherwise - keeping it somewhat original.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
To each his own, but these types of mods are cheaper and easier on Hondas. If you decide to move forward, best of luck completing before prom! Just kidding!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:07 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by spinecho
Seems to me you posted on this over a year ago.

I was hoping that you had abandoned this grotesque idea. Did you imbibe a little too much over the Holidays?

Not sure if that was for the OP or my response? If for me, I couldn’t care what you think. My DRL solution works a lot better than Aston Martins solution for DRL, (they have none - they just turn all lights on at KL15) plus my clear tail light upgrade doesn’t stay lit every time the engine is on, never mind the ultra cheap side markers with single 10 cent bulb that AM has turn on as well. The headlights on these have to be opened at some point, if only to fix the poor quality assembly that came from the factory...may as well do something to make them seem a little more current and than the 1990’s style that they look now.

Point of my post wasn’t to recommend, approve or disapprove of the OPs choice, just to share with him how he could wire it with simplicity and full ability to revert.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM
mackorbuddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BMW-North
When I built my Halo headlights for my Vantage I pondered illuminating the inside front grill. After testing I dismissed it as I thought it was tacky. Not saying your hood grill lights would be - but the halos were enough light mods for me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - primary reason I went this way (added harness and separate relay) is so that everything can be removed and all the original wiring left intact with NO splicing or even stripping of wire insulation.
This is very cool, do you have a link to the halo lights you used? I just noticed a small amount of condensation in my headlights for the first time yesterday. If I open them up to re-seal I'm going to explore the possibility of doing this mod. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if that was for the OP or my response? If for me, I couldn’t care what you think. My DRL solution works a lot better than Aston Martins solution for DRL, (they have none - they just turn all lights on at KL15) plus my clear tail light upgrade doesn’t stay lit every time the engine is on, never mind the ultra cheap side markers with single 10 cent bulb that AM has turn on as well. The headlights on these have to be opened at some point, if only to fix the poor quality assembly that came from the factory...may as well do something to make them seem a little more current and than the 1990’s style that they look now.

Point of my post wasn’t to recommend, approve or disapprove of the OPs choice, just to share with him how he could wire it with simplicity and full ability to revert.
I think your halo DRL modification is brilliant. I know you posted the process some time ago, and it’s on my to do list. Can you PM me the post again?
Thanks

Old 01-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Bernie & Mackorbuddy, I had a couple of PM's for the same thing so I'll put together a PDF and PM you a link. Might take a few days as I'm travelling right now.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:51 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Bernie & Mackorbuddy, I had a couple of PM's for the same thing so I'll put together a PDF and PM you a link. Might take a few days as I'm travelling right now.
I'll take the link too...

Old 01-09-2019, 05:45 AM
Phil57DBS is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll take the link too..
Thanks ans best regards from France
Phil

Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
  • Yay on the the Angel Eyes.
  • Nay on the vent lights.

Would be curious to see the PDF.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Putting this pdf together proved to be more than an hour or two so I have thrown together a draft version which I will finish later (within the next 2-3 weeks) with links for each component and finalize the harness routing. In the meantime you get the idea and if you're confident enough to tackle this as a DIY well you probably know what I haven't yet put in the doc.

Draft AE Install DIY
Updated slightly Jan 14 -2019 - editing

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-14-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Stealthssfc is on a distinguished road
Thank you! Looks great. Can’t wait to get mine installed.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Underhood lighting for V12 vents