6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   AGM or non AGM battery (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/428251-agm-non-agm-battery.html)

lovingit 01-23-2019 02:12 PM

AGM or non AGM battery

Dealer is selling an Interstate non AGM battery for v8v for $275. I found an Autocraft AGM battery for $190. Dealer says for our cars, AGM does not really matter. I've always thought AGM batteries last longer. Thoughts?

Gene G 01-23-2019 03:55 PM

If it doesn’t matter then why pay the stealer an extra $80 ?

englishmatt 01-23-2019 04:50 PM

AGM holds the charge better when not used often. So, if you don't use your car often and do not have a trickle charger...AGM will last longer before needing a charge. I have AGM in all my bikes that do not get ridden but once or twice a qtr.

Also, AGM doesn't need to vent.

I just replaced the battery in my car with a Duracell Extreme AGM.

007JB 01-23-2019 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by englishmatt (Post 4762333)
AGM holds the charge better when not used often. So, if you don't use your car often and do not have a trickle charger...AGM will last longer before needing a charge. I have AGM in all my bikes that do not get ridden but once or twice a qtr.

what's the part # you use for duracell? how much you paid ?

SheriffDep 01-23-2019 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 007JB (Post 4762348)

I got the same one a week ago-----AGM Duracell was $212 including tax

AGM battery is what our cars are made for, has the small vent tube on the left side.

englishmatt 01-23-2019 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 007JB (Post 4762348)

Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 94R Car and Truck Battery

SLI94RAGM

Got it from batteries plus for $199. It’s a perfect fit. AGM batteries do not have a vent tube.

007JB 01-23-2019 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by englishmatt (Post 4762362)

SLI94RAGM

Got it from batteries plus for $199. It’s a perfect fit. AGM batteries do not have a vent tube.

thanks. I called my vendor, they're gonna do special price for me $145, because it's my car. how many month warranty they gave you on that?

englishmatt 01-23-2019 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 007JB (Post 4762367)
thanks. I called my vendor, they're gonna do special price for me $145, because it's my car. how many month warranty they gave you on that?

I believe it’s 48m, but I could be wrong. It will last forever though, my car lives on a CTEK charger.

SheriffDep 01-23-2019 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by englishmatt (Post 4762362)

SLI94RAGM

I have the same battery. There is a plug on the right side, and a vent tube plugs into the left side and then drops out the bottom of the vehicle. MAYBE this is not a vent tube and just some tube for something. But I have the same battery as you.

007JB 01-23-2019 08:17 PM

I believe they are all USA made. I'm gonna order one for my 2013 Vantage. It's time. thanks for info.

MRCW 01-24-2019 04:49 AM

Group buy?

RolexDaytona1 01-24-2019 10:48 AM

Check the date code!

I inadvertently bought a Duracell (as above) but it had been sitting too long on the shelf and 'should' have been returned to the mfg had anyone noticed...

I wound up with a dead/faulty battery 2 months later and had to do another (never enjoyable) battery swapout. They acknowledged it was the reseller's fault. But a lot of time wasted on my end.

2nd one has been fine.

davidm17 01-24-2019 12:15 PM

The Bosch AGM I put in most definitely has a vent tube.

I mentioned this in one of your other threads, but 2013+ (maybe 2012.5+?) cars use a different size than prior cars so make sure you are getting the correct size.

blue2000s 01-24-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by englishmatt (Post 4762333)

Many AGM batteries have vent ports. All AGM batteries CAN vent hydrogen if charged at a excessive voltage levels, even the unvented ones.

englishmatt 01-24-2019 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SheriffDep (Post 4762372)
I have the same battery. There is a plug on the right side, and a vent tube plugs into the left side and then drops out the bottom of the vehicle. MAYBE this is not a vent tube and just some tube for something. But I have the same battery as you.

OK...not sure we have the same battery. I literally just went back out to car, took all the packing and carpet out to double check i'm not losing my mind and there is not a vent tube.

MY Duracell battery, absolutely does NOT have a vent tube anywhere at all. While i'm not debating if AGM batteries have vents or not....11 bikes in my garage, my RAM 3500 truck (which has 2 batteries) and now my Aston all have AGM batteries and NONE of them have vent tubes.

Not sure what all that means, but at least that's a data point.

Cheers,

Matt.

SheriffDep 01-24-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by englishmatt (Post 4762517)
OK...not sure we have the same battery. I literally just went back out to car, took all the packing and carpet out to double check i'm not losing my mind and there is not a vent tube.

MY Duracell battery, absolutely does NOT have a vent tube anywhere at all. While i'm not debating if AGM batteries have vents or not....11 bikes in my garage, my RAM 3500 truck (which has 2 batteries) and now my Aston all have AGM batteries and NONE of them have vent tubes.

Not sure what all that means, but at least that's a data point.

Cheers,

Matt.

Not arguing either, Maybe were talking around what I am saying a vent tube. One side (facing driver) has a small hole by the front end on the side top part that has a PLUG in it. Small tiny plastic plug. That is transferred from old to new battery. Passenger side on the top side part, there is another small hole for the cell bank on that side. That is where a L shaped push in plug goes, and then a small tube runs down the side to a hole in the bottom. Between the bottom fo the batt tray, there is about a 3" gap before the venting outside the vehicle.

Aston1936 on YouTube shows this exactly. Like most Astons, whenever a previous batt was replaced the tube no longer is even in any of the holes. (take or cut a 6" piece of straight coat hanger, put in tube and align before dropping batt all the way in. Then reach under vehicle, and pull hanger out. Easiest way.

1. Resetting seats, windows ------ not hard just push button till you hear a click, then the other way till a click. Seats-- just move all the way to each position.
2. ARE the coast down mis-fire procedures ONLY on DB9's????? I dont know, but i suspect they are.

A> 70mph-30mph at least 5x times if not 7x times in a row WITHOUT touching the brake. So up to 70, then coast down, then back up and then down etc.... I figured you need about 10mi of highway at after midnight to do this. Running 30mph on highway sucks. If you touch your brakes, then you have to start ALL 5 or 7 over again.

I think the way around the coast down ------IS keep you battery maintainer plugged into the cigarette lighter plug in the trunk. Taking extreme care not to touch positive lead with any metal. (take 4 short socks, and put over positive lead when removed) Remember always take negative lead off first and put on first. I think this retains all of the functions for mis-fire, windows, and seats. Might save alot of time and effort if it does. I did this, due to not being able to do the coast down procedure anytime soon.

Gene G 01-29-2019 07:22 AM

Thanks for the tip on covering the positive lead with a sock when removed and having the battery tender plugged in.