Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Dash material

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:34 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MRCW
Wow... Are you a small business owner? ever? Its not so simple to just "pay a deductible" for something minor like this... Likely his deductible is at least $1,000 or even $5,000... it's not like car insurance. As a small business owner myself, Often you pay out of pocket to avoid dealing with insurance company because it's such a PITA

Besides, it is so not noticeable...As you noted, its bearly visible in your pictures

Sure, you know its there, his fault, yada yada yada but really, Your going to take a guy to court over this? I think its classless. My opinion, of course
No I’m not a small business owner. I personally think it’s classeless when you don’t own up to your mistakes and try to take care of the customer for a mistake you did as a business owner.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:38 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Replacing that piece involves a lot of dismantling & lots of parts being (mis-)handled. The chance that something else gets scratched or damaged while doing the replacement is high.

Get it painted and don't look at it ever again.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by yvr
Replacing that piece involves a lot of dismantling & lots of parts being (mis-)handled. The chance that something else gets scratched or damaged while doing the replacement is high.

Get it painted and don't look at it ever again.
You are probably correct. I wonder if there’s any recourse from the auto body shop if that were to happen. But removing and reinstalling the windshield has a greater chance than 70% of cracking which is also a huge liability.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:13 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lovingit

No I’m not a small business owner. I personally think it’s classeless when you don’t own up to your mistakes and try to take care of the customer for a mistake you did as a business owner.
the tint shop is not ignoring you but wanting to resolve this. With the payment he's already at a loss.

Good luck with your fix

Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by MRCW
the tint shop is not ignoring you but wanting to resolve this. With the payment he's already at a loss.

Good luck with your fix
yes, they are trying to work with me. However, I feel he isn’t really being honest. Initially, he said he wanted to go the repair/repaint method. When I asked him why, because since it’s a plastic piece you would not technically paint a plastic piece, he said Newport Beach AM service advisor told him that the dash is a matte black painted piece. And because it’s a painted piece, the correct way to fix it is to repaint it. I asked him if it’s a cost issue with the insurance company because replacement costs $4500 and repair costs $1200-$1500. His response was no, he is trying to fix it the “right way”. In my position, the correct way is to replace it to the condition that it was when I left the car with him. A plastic piece, not a painted piece. But now that corporate AM got involved and we discovered that it’s actually a plastic moulding, his reasoning doesn’t hold water. The “right way” is technically just one way. Replacement is the other way. 3 certified AM body shops have told me it’s better to replace it because you wouldn’t want to paint plastic and deal with the windshield. I’m guessing it’s all because of cost and he’s just not being honest with me.

Last edited by lovingit; 03-08-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
In the interest of full disclosure, I’ve commented on this owner’s issue about taxes on battery core charges...

Personally, I’ve obsessed over the slightest imperfections in my cars, so I get it. And I get the principle of a thing... But sometimes you gotta let it go. Like someone said, buy another <perfect> car if you can no longer live with this one. Mine has a couple of jacked-up buttons, but I can’t fathom the cost to replace. So I just avert my gaze and love my Aston...

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 PM
I wish it were that easy to buy another car just like that. You guys must do that all the time or just joking. It’s a manual in a configuration that took me a few years to land. It took a long time to actually pull the trigger on this one after looking for it. Now it’s finally here, it’s brought more headache rather than joy. I’ll acknoeldge everyone’s comments and drive it rather than fix it I suppose. The owner isn’t going to pony up $4500 to replace it and neither is his insurance. I don’t have time not the energy to go small claims over something like this. I guess its best to leave it be rather than risk the windshield and other parts breaking........

Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I wish it were that easy to buy another car just like that. You guys must do that all the time or just joking. It’s a manual in a configuration that took me a few years to land. It took a long time to actually pull the trigger on this one after looking for it. Now it’s finally here, it’s brought more headache rather than joy. I’ll acknoeldge everyone’s comments and drive it rather than fix it I suppose. The owner isn’t going to pony up $4500 to replace it and neither is his insurance. I don’t have time not the energy to go small claims over something like this. I guess its best to leave it be rather than risk the windshield and other parts breaking........
As noted... take the $1200, move on. You literally will not enjoy any car you drive if you obsess over the smallest scratch. Even if you 'won' this one... Someone would probably back into it in the parking lot the next day... I recall being that high strung in my 20s and am glad I got past that phase. These are truly first world problems we have.... Its up to you to create the 'joy' or 'headache' in your life. Some things are worth fighting for.. this is not.

+1 on the single malt scotch and dinner idea.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Two weeks after buying my Vantage with 3700 miles on the odometer and the car is essentially as new condition I was driving behind a truck. Something fell off the truck and put a small chip on the windshield.
Devasted I rushed to the dealer to have the windshield replaced. Every time I drove the car I was fixated on the chip. The small defect was not enough that my insurance would pay for it and I was prepared to pay out of pocket.
Then sanity prevailed. I could just as easily get another chip with a new windshield. I went to safelite and had them repair the crack by injecting resin and curing it. It’s been a few years, and unless I am specifically looking for it, I no longer see the chip.
Drive the car, enjoy the car and try not to sweat the small stuff that you have no control over.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Do you know how much or if something like this would appear on the car fax, if insurance pays for it?

Body shop was saying they believe anything over $1000 work even if it’s not collision paint or body work might go on the carfax, when it’s going through insurance it is reported.

Last edited by lovingit; 03-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:44 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Do you know how much or if something like this would appear on the car fax, if insurance pays for it?
Note that incidents are reported to CarFax. So if the windshield replacement company does not have and arrangement with CarFax then its not reported. My guess is that replacing a scratched or damaged windshield will not impact your CarFax report

Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
This is akin to curb rashing a wheel and instead of refurbishing and repainting, replacing the entire wheel - almost no one would ever go for the latter option. Take the money, paint it, and enjoy the car

Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by lilseevs
This is akin to curb rashing a wheel and instead of refurbishing and repainting, replacing the entire wheel - almost no one would ever go for the latter option. Take the money, paint it, and enjoy the car
I have learned that it is a coin toss. It’s all up to how the insurance reports it. Sometimes they report to Carfax and sometimes they do not. I’ve heard from some people that something minor that was done to their car eventually showed up on their Carfax even though the shop said it wouldn’t.

I discovered that three months after this ordeal, he finally opens up a claim thru his insurance yesterday. So the entire time, he was just trying to pay under the table. Could have done it right and opened up a claim in Dec and saved both of us some valuable time. Now when his insurance contacts me, they will assign an estimator which will probably low ball me. I have the AM $4500 quote. If I choose a payout, I wonder how the insurance decides on an amount and would a payout show up on the carfax?

Last edited by lovingit; 03-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Hopefully it won’t go on CARFAX now as that would put you in a less desirable position.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:19 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Do you plan on selling the car at some point? If not, I don’t think CarFax should matter then

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dash material