6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   New owner cannot open bonnet! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/430220-new-owner-cannot-open-bonnet.html)

geodavky 04-02-2019 07:21 PM

New owner cannot open bonnet!

My new to me 2006 V8V arrived tonight. Sadly no owner manual and I cannot figure out how to open the bonnet?
Is there a secret?

boxercupdave 04-02-2019 07:34 PM

There should be a handle to pull left hand side just under the dash. It's close to the gas cap release button.

geodavky 04-02-2019 07:51 PM

Ha! So it is the lever. I thought it was the lighted button with the car on it. What’s the lighted button?

handyman2009 04-03-2019 04:38 AM

You can get the owners manual through the apps store of either android or apple... much simpler than asking all those questions

geodavky 04-03-2019 05:45 AM

Thank you. I didn’t know that was available.

Prefurbia 04-03-2019 06:09 AM

Speaking of bonnet - there was a 2008 Vantage many years ago (used) at the Jaguar dealer here that had the hood fly open during a test drive - the hood latch adjustment is supposed to be part of the annual inspection, just something to be aware of.

hsm precision 04-03-2019 07:45 AM

If you pull on the lever, and the hood doesn't open correctly, it means the rubber bumpers aren't adjusted right. When my car went out of adjustment, I had to pull up lightly on the hood, and have someone pull the lever. A few turns out of the rubber bumper made it operate normally again. (for some reason, the hood needs a bit of preload to release correctly)

Matt

brightoncorgi 04-03-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by geodavky (Post 4775060)
What’s the lighted button?

Gas cap

embdenb 04-03-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4775096)
Speaking of bonnet - there was a 2008 Vantage many years ago (used) at the Jaguar dealer here that had the hood fly open during a test drive - the hood latch adjustment is supposed to be part of the annual inspection, just something to be aware of.

Good point and often overlooked. That said,
If the latch failed the backup latch ( the one you have to release manually by sliding your fingers below the hood to release it) also failed. Seems someone tampered with both latches.

Prefurbia 04-03-2019 03:25 PM

When I got my V12S (my 5th Vantage over 9 years) I when to take the grill out and discovered the loop that the hood latches to was loose - very loose (about a full turn by hand each bolt to tighten. Naturally while down there I tightened the bolts and closed the hood which would not open again! After about an hour of sweating, swearing, and going crazy, we eventually popped the hood open. I loosened the bolts as before and it was fine. The Aston dealer (the cars under warranty) adjusted as prescribed. The fact is that these bolts had always been loose from the factory - scary!