Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Regarding this condensation in tail light issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 PM
Intrazel is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm getting ready to buy a 2005 DB9, do they have condensation issues ? I'm hoping they are made properly or by another company who doesn't skimp on the silicone!!

Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I'm sorry - afraid your lights are made by the same firm. If only a fraction of owners report issues online imagine how widespread this problem truly is. I'm actually curious to hear from any DB9 or Vantage (2004-2016) owner with Magna lights who has NOT encountered either headlight or tail light condensation issues?

Quick Google search of DB9 Tail Light Condensation:

Putting aside differences of opinion on what has caused this widespread issue, the matter of the condensation can lead to failure of headlights, turning indicators, & brake lights - making this matter truly a safety related issue. The NHTSA (in the USA) is the most powerful of any national org to deal with these matters. If it has enough information and incidences it can conduct an investigation. It can also force manufacturers to correct identified safety deficiencies at no cost to the consumer. Given the low production volume of these vehicles, the complaint percentage thresholds to trigger further action would be relative.

To file a vehicle safety complaint you need your VIN:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Having dual nationality and residency in the US I filed a complaint. Easy process - took about 2 mins. If you have photos of the headlights or tail lights with the condensation you can upload them.- but that is not necessary.

To file a complaint in the US:

To file the complaint in Canada:
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-25-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:43 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I filed the two bad rear tail lights on my 160 mile (at the time of the problem) 2017 V12S, but also mentioned with the VIN the previous four Vantages with the same issues, including some with headlight issues. Hopefully we get a recall and a fix.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BMW-North
I'm actually curious to hear from any DB9 or Vantage (2004-2016) owner with Magna lights who has NOT encountered either headlight or tail light condensation issues?
2006 DB9, 52,000 miles, original red tail lights. No condensation. Same with the headlights. And I drive it in all kinds of weather almost all year round.

Always hand washed though.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:34 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Come to think of it - my 2007 Vantage with red tail lights had no problem - they were all the clear lights. Has anyone with red lights had the problem?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Come to think of it - my 2007 Vantage with red tail lights had no problem - they were all the clear lights. Has anyone with red lights had the problem?
The guy I sold my original red tail lights to had original red lights that failed. I replaced mine with a clear set from AM San Diego. My red were in good working order - still are - I saw him couple weeks ago. When I sold him the red tail lights my car had only 7k on it and was a garage queen that rarely saw sun let alone rain . He's on here RobertScottNeilly - he has a 2007 gray vantage.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Left rear red original tail light on my 2006 with 80k miles developed condensation a few months ago, and now the brake light & turn signal failed.

I also have a failed turn indicator in my left front headlight... so no left turn signal front & back.... May have to bite the bullet for a new tail light. Its just not where I'd really want to spend the cash.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
Left rear red original tail light on my 2006 with 80k miles developed condensation a few months ago, and now the brake light & turn signal failed.

I also have a failed turn indicator in my left front headlight... so no left turn signal front & back.... May have to bite the bullet for a new tail light. Its just not where I'd really want to spend the cash.
You should at least file a complaint about it. Turn signal and brake light failure are safety issues.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:17 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BMW-North
You should at least file a complaint about it. Turn signal and brake light failure are safety issues.

I did just file. It is crazy that replacing the entire headlight and taillight would be the official solution.. $2,500+ parts and 5hrs labor? For two turn signals? I did take the headlight apart trying to fix it (unsuccessfully) a year ago.. and that was roughly a 5hr job for me. Not a simple/fun task. And of course the right side will eventually go. SO $6,000 for 4 turn signals sounds a little excessive? If FL had a yearly vehicle inspection, I would not pass... I love this car and drive it daily.. but it would be nice to get some parts good-will'd.

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 06-25-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 PM
I reported my tail light condensation on the 2017 V12S over a month ago - still waiting for parts, so maybe they are just plain out of them, or maybe they are actually going to fix the units this time!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:52 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
Had the left rear tail (red) get condensation this past winter after driving through a heavy thunder storm. Car is 2007 with 38,xxx miles. First time I saw any moisture in it. Eventually affected the circuit board and threw an error code. Gave me a good excuse to replace both rear lights with clears.

The right side light stayed dry. It's for sale if anyone needs one.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:38 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
I know my rear DB9 lights get slight condensation every other time I wash it. Goes away quickly though. However my front lights only get a fogged area but i blow dry the car so some humidity could be getting funneled into it.

Now my real question is ???? Does any one have a set of Black Surround Clear taillights on their car and want the Gray Surround Clear lights????? I want to change mine out and someone with a gray ir Silver car might want to trade. Just a thought.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:32 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
I may have driven in rain. This is very bad. Light is still working. Anybody has instructions on how to remove taillamp ?

Old 08-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Ouch - that looks nasty. There isn't an easy way to remove the lens from the taillight - you need to heat it enough to break down the adhesive, and then pull it apart. (I had mine apart after the circuit board failed, and ended up coming up with a new circuit board to replace the fried one).
I would suggest leaving it in the sun enough to dry out. I think the official fix is to drill some vent holes, and if I remember correctly, someone on here put in goretex seals to help with the venting.
Matt

Old 08-10-2019, 06:45 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
But how do I remove the unit from the car for surgery?

Originally Posted by hsm precision
Ouch - that looks nasty. There isn't an easy way to remove the lens from the taillight - you need to heat it enough to break down the adhesive, and then pull it apart. (I had mine apart after the circuit board failed, and ended up coming up with a new circuit board to replace the fried one).
I would suggest leaving it in the sun enough to dry out. I think the official fix is to drill some vent holes, and if I remember correctly, someone on here put in goretex seals to help with the venting.
Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regarding this condensation in tail light issue