Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Broken radiator and disintegrating fans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 PM
jf.houde is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, when I saw that code I immediatly ordered a new ECT sensor.

Now I have to decide if I order a jag controller module and hope it fits and communicate correctly with the AM computer or try to have this burned one repair.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jf.houde
Yes, when I saw that code I immediately ordered a new ECT sensor.

Now I have to decide if I order a jag controller module and hope it fits and communicate correctly with the AM computer or try to have this burned one repair.
Honestly I would be extremely surprised if it did not communicate correctly. After all our fans use a Jaguar fan setup. Here's an example: The OE provider (Bosch) stopped making fans (and modules) in 2012 for the BMW e46 chassis. I tried aftermarket fans (and modules) in two cars and they were junk. I started using Bosch fan modules that were in certain Mazda, Ford and Volvo vehicles that carried a similar Bosch part number. I've had two in a couple of bimmers now going on 5 years - no issues. On those I had to splice the BMW harness (pigtail) connectors at all the connections cause the Mazda, Ford and Volvo used different connectors than BMW. You won't need to even do that since the fan connections are Jaguar cause it's actually a part for the Jaguar fan. The only connector that could theoretically be different is the 3-wire connector coming from the ECM - but I think the odds there are even 100/1 against cause it plugs into the same module. The inner workings of these are simple - they control fan activation and speed based upon the PWM signal (whihc is just a square wave on/off voltage signal from the ECM - all the complex logic is pretty much in the ECM.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:58 PM
DB IX is on a distinguished road
Hi

On a similar note does anybody have an alternative for the air con condenser for a DB9 that fits onto the front of the radiator?

thanks

Old 07-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
There is a used one on eBay for a decent price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Condense...8AAOSwwFNcGXw5

Even a new one isn't outrageous.
https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...-assembly.html

Matt

Old 07-07-2019, 10:27 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
The condenser for the Vantage is a Jaguar part - made by Visteon.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:55 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Confirmation. The Jag fan and controller is a direct fit, and works perfectly, no wiring connector changing needed.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Great! I like this forum for helpful threads like this one.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Great news, I am currently waiting for:
  • Coolant sensor
  • Used fans
  • Used controller
I am doing the following while the car on jacks and waiting for parts:
  • Gear oil
  • Brake oil
  • Air filters
  • Power steering oil
  • Thermosthat
  • Oil catch can
  • PCV Valve
  • Idler pulley with new belt
  • Engine oil
  • Porterfield brakes

Enough to be busy while the parts are on their way.

I will keep everyone updated on the result.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by oo7
Confirmation. The Jag fan and controller is a direct fit, and works perfectly, no wiring connector changing needed.
Thanks, That’s good to know as it likely confirms that the newer smaller fan module that replaced the original Jaguar (BTM) fan module can be a low cost direct replacement if the fan module only needed replacement. Takes the cost from $800 (used) to less than $100 for a new equivalent factory quality component.

Last edited by BMW-North; 07-14-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:16 AM
I cant locate the coolant temp sensor, can anyone help me?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 AM
It's down beneath the throttle body housing - Remove the accessory belt then remove the waterpump pulley (3 bolts) you will see the harness. If you have a workshop manual refer to page 3-3-10. Add a little coolant on the o-ring when installing the new one.

A note on this part - it is an extremely common part used on nearly a hundred Ford, Daimler, Jaguar, Land Rover and Mazda vehicles. Not sure why Aston parts dealers sell it for $240 - it's typical cost is about $12.

Replacing CTS Aston Martin Vantage V8 4.3

Last edited by BMW-North; 07-14-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 AM
Ok great thanks!!!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:09 AM
Would you recommend on replacing the foams on each side and top of the rad, they cannot be reused.

Also, do you have a link for this workshop manual?

Thank you

Old 07-16-2019, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't buy the foam but I might cut new sections from a new piece. - it's more of a cushion than anything else.

Here's a link to the workshop manual

Aston Martin Vantage V8 Workshop Manual

Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Thank you, I should have start with this lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Broken radiator and disintegrating fans