Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How much attention does your Aston really get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 08:00 PM
convexproblem will become famous soon enough
Well, I ended up buying one, but it's going to be kept on the West Coast and not driven into "rough" parts of town. Forget what I said about leaving it dusty, this car is so beautiful I actually enjoy detailing it, whereas doing that work on other cars usually pisses me off. Sort of to answer my own question, it definitely still stands out and the neighborhood kids said "it's worth 200k", but it's obviously more toned down than a 911 GT3 or Ferrari.

The PO kept it extremely clean, but I spent 2 days touching up the interior a bit; Spent a lot of time carefully color matching some acrylic paint to cover wear spots in the leather, buffing it with leather conditioner, fixing some of the carpet and plastic clips, going through gaps with a toothpick to get everything shiny.

Next, it's gonna get some light window film for heat reduction, touch up some rock chips, do a "self-healing" coating, some preventative mechanical maintenance items, then install my lithium titanate battery.

Last edited by convexproblem; 04-04-2021 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:13 AM
Rjscharer is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine seems to be the only new one in this part of Florida. Smiles,stares,questions and lots of 10 year
old kids that ask if they can sit in it....

Old 04-05-2021, 07:41 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I don't notice very much. When my wife is in the car though she is always commenting how people are looking. When I see people in the rear-view mirror at stop lights I sometimes notice them looking with a quizzical look as in what is that car?. Many time I drive it someone goes out of their way to give me a thumbs up or the like. In general the response is a tone more favorable than when I had my Porsche's. You know people let me in graciously on a merge.

Last edited by deckman; 04-05-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:35 AM
MAUMAU is an unknown quantity at this point
Whether driving or just having parked the Vantage, I get nothing but positive responses.

”Beautiful Car” ..... “An Aston Martin!” ...... “What kind of car is that?” etc.

That being said, I had a contractor here a few days ago that initially thought it was a Tesla. When I fired it up however to remove it from the garage he realized it was something entirely different.

If I can get those kind of responses from a Tungsten Silver Vantage I’m sure those with more lively colors get even more.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:29 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
color is important respecting attention. Vandals see flashy colors quick. Meteorite silver is understated and looks generic which is the key: garners less attention, etc., also keep wheels stock.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:21 PM
convexproblem will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by oo7
Meteorite silver is understated and looks generic which is the key
This is true, I parked it in a lot today and glanced back really quick. The first thing that my brain registered was "gray Honda Civic Coupe" (since they have a wrapping red taillight pattern as well lol). A Porsche Cayman even in a boring color is definitely more distinctive due to its shape, especially the tail lights.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:22 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by convexproblem
This is true, I parked it in a lot today and glanced back really quick. The first thing that my brain registered was "gray Honda Civic Coupe" (since they have a wrapping red taillight pattern as well lol). A Porsche Cayman even in a boring color is definitely more distinctive due to its shape, especially the tail lights.
i had someone say to me as I walked to my car... "Is that the new Genesis?" because Genesis logo looks eerily similar to Aston Martin wings...

we chatted briefly and when I started up the vantage he said "that's no Genesis..."

Old 04-06-2021, 10:24 AM
JaguarSVR is an unknown quantity at this point
The Alloro Green and yellow "lipstick" combo on mine make it impossible not to attract attention.

All of it, positive, so far though!

Old 04-10-2021, 11:36 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Most of the time you don't even get a second glance. Then there are the ones that notice but have no clue, I've been asked if it was a Genesis, is that the new Chrysler? Or just, WTF is that? Then there are those that know what it is, and those are the thumbs up, you catch them taking pictures of your car when you're walking up to it, the ones that want to talk to you about it. And when they ask is that James Bonds car I get to say, yes, yes it was

Old 04-12-2021, 04:31 AM
soniczoom5 is an unknown quantity at this point
2nd gen Vanquish; i took it out for an hour today and had two bikers give the thumbs up; also noticed a bunch of people staring, esp younger folks
attracts more attention than I had thought it would

Old 04-15-2021, 07:41 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 61mga
as an adult male... does anyone else feel as if they are standing in front of their bedroom mirror twisting around to see how they look in their jeans from the rear when discussing in a public forum how much attention their car gets? seems a bit shallow and vain to me.
Agreed. Too cool for school, aren't we?

Old 04-15-2021, 02:12 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
with my meteorite silver 2007, i usually have someone mention how great the car looks when i'm at the gas pump after i've just washed and dried it. the paint finish is something else. sometimes they ask me what kind of car it is. a few know. lots of james bond remarks. people rarely pay much attention to it on the road though. after all, there are a zillion dark silver cars out there...

Old 04-15-2021, 04:14 PM
slkret123 will become famous soon enough
These are very beautiful cars in a artistic sense but IMHO generally not very noticeable. Why is that? I think a large part of it is the color. When you are driving around these days what color are the cars you see? In the US the most popular color is white but in general the cars are colorless....White, Black. Silver and grey. When you drive by a dealers lot what do you see? White, black, silver and grey. Why? Because that's what sells. If there is a bright color like red, yellow, apple green etc on the lot the car just stands out in the sea of common colors. An Aston Martin is a conservatively styled car compared to other exotics. It isn't designed to stand out like a Lamborghini or Ferrari. As a buyer or owner, there's nothing you can do about that and so you will blend in with the cars around you. There are exceptions to this of course. Some people will notice the badges or maybe the gorgeous wood trimmed interior in a convertible and see the elegance of the car and think "very cool". But, for the most part if you want to be noticed in your Aston Martin wait for the rare bright color like red or yellow car to come on the market or get your present ride wrapped in a bright color. When it comes time to sell your chrome red wrapped V8V you will get a lot of interest, BUT you may need to remove the wrap OR have a VERY detailed set of pictures and/or video documenting the condition of the finish under the wrap. I'm in the market for a V8V or a DB9 and I will get it wrapped immediately.

Steve

Old 04-15-2021, 07:47 PM
M I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud of
A wrap will get you noticed. Even the wife's BRG Jag went unnoticed until we added the wrapped trim. Easy way to enjoy life and easily go back to stock Storm Black if I ever sell.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:22 AM
slkret123 will become famous soon enough
M I Six
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I love that Avery color shift material/ How long has the film been on your car and how's it holding up? What did you do in the door jambs? What about under the hood and trunk lids? are the calipers powder coated or are they wrapped also? The black union jack looks good I think. Does the film go on top of the stone guard in front of the rear wheels or did you remove that material and put new on top of the Avery vinyl? How well does the color shift work under city lighting at night?
Very nice.
Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: How much attention does your Aston really get?