Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM Battery Maintainer / License Plate Frame

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 07:17 PM
aaj23 is an unknown quantity at this point
AM Battery Maintainer / License Plate Frame

Hi All,
Just today I got the OEM battery maintainer with the magnetic puck attachment for my vantage; when I went to attach it however, I realized I couldn’t put it in place because my license plate frame prevents the puck from lining up properly with the slot on the car...guessing it was designed with British license plates and frames in mind.

Has anyone else faced this? Did you just go without a frame? I may take the frame off and notch it out, but thinking it may look a bit tacky.

Any insight on what others have done is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-05-2020, 10:33 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Assume that it's a 2019 on Vantage? Have you called the dealer to ask why it doesn't fit? Plate mounting has adjustment for different types and markets.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Assume that it's a 2019 on Vantage? Have you called the dealer to ask why it doesn't fit? Plate mounting has adjustment for different types and markets.
Correct, it’s a new vantage; and thank you for responding!

I haven’t called the dealer, as neither local dealer could tell me where the charging port was in the first place...even the US Aston Martin technical lead struggled to find it (it’s not in the manual that either of us could find)...my faith in any of them providing a meaningful answer in this context as a result is non-existent.

I tried moving the plate holder down a bolt, which works, but then the plate sits to where it looks a little ridiculous...now that I think about it though, I didn’t try the plate holder upside down, so perhaps that may provide a middle ground...will give it a shot and provide an update.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:34 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Sounds like you're on the right track. Owner book is vague about a lot of things that could be useful for the correct information. Unfortunately you maybe the only one that has tried to use their battery maintainer.

James

Old 08-06-2020, 07:54 AM
Update - Plate bracket upside down doesn’t work at all...the mounting is simply too far offset to be usable upside down.

I did however find that if you put the bracket to the lowest setting, and fiddle with the screw inserts, it provides enough float to have it slide up a bit and look ok. The puck still doesn’t seamlessly slide into place, but the small amount of extra clearance allows you to just give the license plate a little press inward due to the flex of the plastic, and the puck now fits. Not an ideal solution, but it works...wish AM had given this a bit more consideration for the US market.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:52 PM
AJN334 is on a distinguished road
Not sure what type of frame you have but I also have an Aston Martin frame and have no issues. The license plate and frame are somewhat adjustable in how they mount to the bracket on the car. You just need to adjust so the frame and plate are mounted lower closer to the diffuser

Old 08-06-2020, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by AJN334
Not sure what type of frame you have but I also have an Aston Martin frame and have no issues. The license plate and frame are somewhat adjustable in how they mount to the bracket on the car. You just need to adjust so the frame and plate are mounted lower closer to the diffuser
It’s a basic chrome frame plate that the dealer put on; it’s fine looking so I left it. It’s not unusually deep or thick as compared to others I’ve seen, but maybe I’ll order the OEM one if you’re saying it’s a more seamless fit. If you don’t mind me asking, what bolt hole setting are you using for your bracket, top, middle, or bottom?