6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   CEL on (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/445367-cel.html)

Marmot 06-14-2021 11:41 AM

CEL on

Well, I have the Check Engine Light on with a message about service being required. I ordered a Foxwell scanner the same day to find out more, but is there any way to extinguish the CEL? I was able to remove the message by pressing the 1/2 buttons on the stack, but the CEL stays on. The light came on after an extended period of idling and stop and go at low speed, I checked fluids and oil was a small bit high so I am not sure if that is related. I sucked out the surplus to the top line on the dip stick. Car is idling and driving fine, so I don't suspect a misfire yet. Any advice would be helpful!

convexproblem 06-14-2021 12:02 PM

I always keep a basic bluetooth OBD2 scanner in my cars so I can check the codes and such at any time. The ELM327 knockoffs are 6 bucks on Ebay and work okay for this purpose.

bavarianstance 06-14-2021 12:40 PM

Foxwell will be able to read and clear codes. Nothing you can do in the meantime without the tool I'm afraid.

Marmot 06-14-2021 12:43 PM

Good to know, thanks! I guess I will avoid driving it in that case.

hsm precision 06-14-2021 03:18 PM

You can get them read at autozone? They should be able to clear them too.
Matt

Marmot 06-15-2021 06:37 AM

Autozone had occurred to me but for whatever reason I figured that they could not read A.M. codes or clear them. They can for BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar etc. so I am not sure why I concluded that. I may stop by in the interim while I wait for the Foxwell to show up and see if they can help. Thanks!

hsm precision 06-15-2021 09:03 AM

They should be able to read the generic OBD codes. There are 2 OBD plugs on an AM though, so they need to read from the correct one. (left side if I remember correctly - they are labeled).

matt

gaussianmist 06-16-2021 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Marmot (Post 4879566)
Well, I have the Check Engine Light on with a message about service being required. I ordered a Foxwell scanner the same day to find out more, but is there any way to extinguish the CEL? I was able to remove the message by pressing the 1/2 buttons on the stack, but the CEL stays on. The light came on after an extended period of idling and stop and go at low speed, I checked fluids and oil was a small bit high so I am not sure if that is related. I sucked out the surplus to the top line on the dip stick. Car is idling and driving fine, so I don't suspect a misfire yet. Any advice would be helpful!

How did you remove the excess oil? I've tried a turkey baster but it is way too slow.

Marmot 06-16-2021 11:58 AM

Went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a pump that screwed to a quart and gallon container and eyeballed the dipstick how high over it was and pumped out roughly that much on the dipstick. It wasn't much, maybe 2 cups at most. Total cost $7.99 and an almost empty 1/2 gallon of milk about to turn...

Marmot 06-18-2021 10:52 AM

Autozone did indeed work. Code P0174, Left bank lean OR rich...that is as specific as they could get. They were able to clear the code. The 5 miles back home did not get the light to come on again so I assume it is intermittent...

ccfulton 06-20-2021 08:46 AM

Once you have your own reader you can watch the fuel trims while driving and see for yourself if any of them are particularly high.