Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

CEL on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 11:41 AM
Marmot is an unknown quantity at this point
CEL on

Well, I have the Check Engine Light on with a message about service being required. I ordered a Foxwell scanner the same day to find out more, but is there any way to extinguish the CEL? I was able to remove the message by pressing the 1/2 buttons on the stack, but the CEL stays on. The light came on after an extended period of idling and stop and go at low speed, I checked fluids and oil was a small bit high so I am not sure if that is related. I sucked out the surplus to the top line on the dip stick. Car is idling and driving fine, so I don't suspect a misfire yet. Any advice would be helpful!

Old 06-14-2021, 12:02 PM
convexproblem will become famous soon enough
I always keep a basic bluetooth OBD2 scanner in my cars so I can check the codes and such at any time. The ELM327 knockoffs are 6 bucks on Ebay and work okay for this purpose.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:40 PM
bavarianstance will become famous soon enoughbavarianstance will become famous soon enough
Foxwell will be able to read and clear codes. Nothing you can do in the meantime without the tool I'm afraid.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:43 PM
Good to know, thanks! I guess I will avoid driving it in that case.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
You can get them read at autozone? They should be able to clear them too.
Matt

Old 06-15-2021, 06:37 AM
Autozone had occurred to me but for whatever reason I figured that they could not read A.M. codes or clear them. They can for BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar etc. so I am not sure why I concluded that. I may stop by in the interim while I wait for the Foxwell to show up and see if they can help. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2021, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
They should be able to read the generic OBD codes. There are 2 OBD plugs on an AM though, so they need to read from the correct one. (left side if I remember correctly - they are labeled).

matt

Old 06-16-2021, 10:26 AM
gaussianmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Marmot
Well, I have the Check Engine Light on with a message about service being required. I ordered a Foxwell scanner the same day to find out more, but is there any way to extinguish the CEL? I was able to remove the message by pressing the 1/2 buttons on the stack, but the CEL stays on. The light came on after an extended period of idling and stop and go at low speed, I checked fluids and oil was a small bit high so I am not sure if that is related. I sucked out the surplus to the top line on the dip stick. Car is idling and driving fine, so I don't suspect a misfire yet. Any advice would be helpful!
How did you remove the excess oil? I've tried a turkey baster but it is way too slow.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:58 AM
Went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a pump that screwed to a quart and gallon container and eyeballed the dipstick how high over it was and pumped out roughly that much on the dipstick. It wasn't much, maybe 2 cups at most. Total cost $7.99 and an almost empty 1/2 gallon of milk about to turn...

Old 06-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Autozone did indeed work. Code P0174, Left bank lean OR rich...that is as specific as they could get. They were able to clear the code. The 5 miles back home did not get the light to come on again so I assume it is intermittent...

Old 06-20-2021, 08:46 AM
ccfulton is on a distinguished road
Once you have your own reader you can watch the fuel trims while driving and see for yourself if any of them are particularly high.