6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Vibration while braking (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/447872-vibration-while-braking.html)

Gologic 12-08-2021 10:32 AM

Vibration while braking

Greetings, I recently purchased a 2017 DB11 Launch Edition with 3000 miles on the clock. The brakes vibrate terribly when used. Tires were replaced with no improvement. I then installed new rotors and pads. It seemed a bit better at first but is doing the exact same thing again. The car has zero vibration while driving at all speeds, tracks perfectly straight and does not pull to either side under braking. Any thoughts on what may be causing this issue? Thanks!

LeStrat 12-08-2021 10:48 AM

- Edited - My message is no longer relevant, as it was just a typo from the OP

Gologic 12-08-2021 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by LeStrat (Post 4893595)
You changed calipers and pads but not the disks?

Distorted brake discs are the most common culprits for vibration when braking, I would have changed them way before the calipers. I actually see no reason to change the calipers unless they are old and in risk of leaking.

​​​​​​I mistakenly typed calipers instead of rotors. Original message is edited to indicate that I replaced the rotors and pads with no improvement.

Gologic 12-08-2021 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by LeStrat (Post 4893595)
You changed calipers and pads but not the disks?

Distorted brake discs are the most common culprits for vibration when braking, I would have changed them way before the calipers. I actually see no reason to change the calipers unless they are old and in risk of leaking.

​​​​​​I mistakenly typed calipers instead of rotors. Original message is edited to indicate that I replaced the rotors and pads with no improvement.

07sportspack 12-08-2021 03:26 PM

I wonder if it could be a sticky caliper...or return spring? Small stones have been known it get lodged in calipers. The noise it makes when breaking causes you think something terrible just happened!! I had a stone in mine years ago.

61mga 12-08-2021 07:40 PM

try some new rotors again. you said it improved after the first pair. it's easy to warp a rotor, if you're braking hard. it can happen in an instant. DIY. you should be able to install new front rotors for less than $200 if you don't insist on AM rotors. and they are no better than others, IMO. after all they've warped at least once already.

i had a bad vibration in a new-to-me vantage. it was in the steering wheel at speeds above 65mph. and because the car was 12 years old, had been sitting for a while and the tires were the same age as the car, i assumed they were flat-spotted. so i bought new tires. didn't fix it..... i spent a year and a lot of money trying to figure it out and it turned out that the new tires i bought weren't round! a second set of new tires did the trick. it happens.

J doubleU 12-08-2021 08:57 PM

Did you check run out on all brake rotors before replacing?

V12Stealth 12-09-2021 10:56 AM

You can take them to a local machinist and have them measured and corrected if its not too bad.

captain Greg 12-10-2021 10:51 AM

Machine them on the car ..it’s cheap and quick

8Tech 12-12-2021 10:10 AM

You really need to spend time diagnosing where the vibration is coming from. Firstly check disc rotor run-out to determine whether it is one side or both, or even the brake at all. THEN try rotating the disc on the hub one stud and try again. If that does not help, remove the disc and measure the hub run-out. You may well be blaming the disc when its actually fine but fixed to a distorted hub.
It should go without saying that all mating surfaces should be spotlessly clean as even the slightest corrosion or dirt build-up will cause your issue.

8Tech 12-12-2021 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by V12Stealth (Post 4893663)
You can take them to a local machinist and have them measured and corrected if its not too bad.

If you do this, you must really take very fine cuts because it is notoriously difficult to machine floating discs. Any side loading will cause disc movement away from the tool and make things worse.

UNDRPSI 12-13-2021 11:14 AM

Uneven bedding of new pads on the rotors can cause a similar issue, with new brake parts. Did you follow the proper bedding procedure as outlined by the manufacturer of the pads?