Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vibration while braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Gologic is an unknown quantity at this point
Vibration while braking

Greetings, I recently purchased a 2017 DB11 Launch Edition with 3000 miles on the clock. The brakes vibrate terribly when used. Tires were replaced with no improvement. I then installed new rotors and pads. It seemed a bit better at first but is doing the exact same thing again. The car has zero vibration while driving at all speeds, tracks perfectly straight and does not pull to either side under braking. Any thoughts on what may be causing this issue? Thanks!

Last edited by Gologic; 12-08-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:48 AM
LeStrat is an unknown quantity at this point
- Edited - My message is no longer relevant, as it was just a typo from the OP

Last edited by LeStrat; 12-08-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by LeStrat
You changed calipers and pads but not the disks?

Distorted brake discs are the most common culprits for vibration when braking, I would have changed them way before the calipers. I actually see no reason to change the calipers unless they are old and in risk of leaking.
​​​​​​I mistakenly typed calipers instead of rotors. Original message is edited to indicate that I replaced the rotors and pads with no improvement.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by LeStrat
You changed calipers and pads but not the disks?

Distorted brake discs are the most common culprits for vibration when braking, I would have changed them way before the calipers. I actually see no reason to change the calipers unless they are old and in risk of leaking.
​​​​​​I mistakenly typed calipers instead of rotors. Original message is edited to indicate that I replaced the rotors and pads with no improvement.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:26 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
I wonder if it could be a sticky caliper...or return spring? Small stones have been known it get lodged in calipers. The noise it makes when breaking causes you think something terrible just happened!! I had a stone in mine years ago.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:40 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
try some new rotors again. you said it improved after the first pair. it's easy to warp a rotor, if you're braking hard. it can happen in an instant. DIY. you should be able to install new front rotors for less than $200 if you don't insist on AM rotors. and they are no better than others, IMO. after all they've warped at least once already.

i had a bad vibration in a new-to-me vantage. it was in the steering wheel at speeds above 65mph. and because the car was 12 years old, had been sitting for a while and the tires were the same age as the car, i assumed they were flat-spotted. so i bought new tires. didn't fix it..... i spent a year and a lot of money trying to figure it out and it turned out that the new tires i bought weren't round! a second set of new tires did the trick. it happens.

Last edited by 61mga; 12-08-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:57 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Did you check run out on all brake rotors before replacing?

Old 12-09-2021, 10:56 AM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
You can take them to a local machinist and have them measured and corrected if its not too bad.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:51 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Machine them on the car ..it’s cheap and quick

Old 12-12-2021, 10:10 AM
8Tech is an unknown quantity at this point
You really need to spend time diagnosing where the vibration is coming from. Firstly check disc rotor run-out to determine whether it is one side or both, or even the brake at all. THEN try rotating the disc on the hub one stud and try again. If that does not help, remove the disc and measure the hub run-out. You may well be blaming the disc when its actually fine but fixed to a distorted hub.
It should go without saying that all mating surfaces should be spotlessly clean as even the slightest corrosion or dirt build-up will cause your issue.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:13 AM
8Tech is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by V12Stealth
You can take them to a local machinist and have them measured and corrected if its not too bad.
If you do this, you must really take very fine cuts because it is notoriously difficult to machine floating discs. Any side loading will cause disc movement away from the tool and make things worse.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:14 AM
UNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond reputeUNDRPSI has a reputation beyond repute
Uneven bedding of new pads on the rotors can cause a similar issue, with new brake parts. Did you follow the proper bedding procedure as outlined by the manufacturer of the pads?