Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Whirring Noise When Braking 2009 DBS V12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 10:07 AM
carlosC4S is on a distinguished road
Whirring Noise When Braking 2009 DBS V12

Hi guys

Pulling into the office carpark this morning I hear a whirring noise, consistent with wheels turning, as I slow down to park, think to myself I must have a flat tyre. Slowly parked up get out, tyres all fine.

Left the Aston for about half hour then took out out again, same whirring type noise when gaining speed or braking. Had a look around the tyres as best I could, nothing obvious, brakes seemed ok, didn't drive funny etc. so parked up again.

Went to go home, same noise but Im thinking only when I brake now rather than as speed built or I brake. The noise was much more apparent as I slowed right down to crawling. My commute is 30 minutes on the motorway, it drove straight brakes operated fine, but then back to slow speed in built up areas the whirring is there still.

Im not talking about the grinding that ceramics do, its a rotating type whirring when Im on the brakes. Kinda like a wheel bearing recurring noise but more like a grind than squeak. Ceramic discs look ok and had the car into Aston recently so pads must be ok as they said car in good order.

Anyone ever have a situation like this please?

Thanks

Carl

Old 01-07-2022, 02:11 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
could be something caught up between brake pad and rotor? it happens....

Old 01-07-2022, 02:16 PM
I wondered that myself, it seems better at higher speeds the braking harder though?

Braking doesn't seem compromised, so the pads must be ok, and Im assuming wont be hand brake sticking on as it happens when pressing the foot brake.

How would i check for a stone/debris, or more importantly get it out, mechanical strip down?

An indy who works on high end exotics suggested it could be down to lack of heat in the brakes, is that likely?

Old 01-08-2022, 03:27 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
I've once had a similar strange noise when backing-up or moving-off forward icw a steering-angle: this sounded too like coming from the brakes but I ended up changing the differential oil since it was old and beyond its best operating life. To make sure its not the differential oil try above but then with and without steering on 2 occasions and see if there are differences.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:53 AM
Doesnt seem to be affected by steering angle, definitely does it when gently pressing the brake pedal as I slow to a junction, a stop etc. If i brake harder I dont seem to hear it. I dont think it happens in reverse but haven’t travelled far enough in R to know for sure actually.

I just got a tyre system fault message today too, tyres are all at the right pressures, checked the control under the dash and found that the green light is amber and the blue light is also amber so I believe the TPMS has stopped working.

Cant be related surely, the noise occurs when I apply the foot brake.

Thanks