Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone have the full AP Velocity power pack on a V12?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 06:53 PM
Captain Cove is an unknown quantity at this point

That’s the other VAP Xpipe I know of. I would love to hear the difference with the muffler version I have. VAP was saying it sounds the same but I’m not yet convinced. Some people “have to see” to believe, I have to hear it. And there’s no iPhone recording that will do it for sound. I still refuse to load audio files on the forum as the iPhone saturates it’s mic way to early and it is not a valid experience.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:51 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I have only done a secondary decat on my V12VS. Plenty loud, and borderline unpleasant resonance at some frequencies. Noticeable (mild) improvement in throttle response.

I've held back on headers because the readily available options (like VAP) appear to substantially change the nature of the sound, to a more high frequency (some might say F1-style) wail. I prefer the deeper chested, OEM-style sound as I think it is unique and best suited to an Aston, just MHO. I've heard that the Bamford Rose setup can preserve more of the OEM sound but availability and after sales support are an issue in NA.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:53 PM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
To follow up on my previous post, I was at Velocity AP's shop again a couple weeks ago now to add an x-pipe and "CC Charger" exhaust remote control to my set up and couldn't be happier with the result. Prior to this visit I had the Velocity AP Power Pack installed (headers, high flow cats, mild tune), but the car was obnoxiously loud and unmanageable in my opinion. The car is much quieter and more refined now. In case it is ever helpful to anyone down the road, I now have the following three distinct options to run the car in:

1) Default mode has the valves programmed in the ecu to remain closed until 5000 RPM. This allows very civilized and relatively quiet operation, even when accelerating mildly aggressively and shifting around 3000-3500 RPM. I LOVED this mode for the long highway drives returning home. Listening to the Bang and Olufson on a long drive never sounded better. It will also be very handy for leaving my neighbourhood early or returning late and keeping the peace with my neighbours. *See star below for an unintended consequence though.

2) Sport mode has the valves programmed to remain closed until around 3000 RPM, which is the OEM set up. It does seem to also add a bit of throttle response as well (though I am not an expert). Whereas previously I hated how stark the difference was from relatively quiet below 3000 RPM to an enormously loud sudden BLAAAAP when the valves decided to open, now it is a much closer tone and makes more sense overall for what the car is doing.

3) Sport mode, but also using the CC Charger to just have the valves open all the time. I almost certainly would never have used this previously without the x-pipe installed. Now, this is the mode I will drive the car in most of the time. I love how the sound builds in a much more linear fashion that directly matches what the engine is doing - no sudden BLAAAAP - just linear. And SO much more refined. Is it higher pitched - yes. Is it more like a Lamborghini / Ferrrari sound - yes. But I also personally don't see that as a bad thing at all. Only a select number of vehicles in the world are capable of producing a sound like this from a naturally aspirated V12, and people seem to recognize that something not ordinary, or exotic is going on with the car. Do I like the deep rumble of the OEM Astons - yes for sure. And no slight at all to the V8 cars, most of them sound fantastic too. But to me, my car now has a sound that distinguishes it from the V8 Vantages. To me it makes my car different and audibly a bit more special as a V12 Vantage.

*Unintended consequence* With the default setting being valves closed, the characteristic Aston loud start up is gone. I do want that back, and since the car now sounds so good that I want to hear it with valves open all the time, I have ordered the reverse CC Charger exhaust control set up - whereby the default will be valves open all the time and I should get my cold starts back. Then I just have to use the remote to close the valves when I actually want to proceed in quiet. If this works, then I will be a very happy person with the same 3 modes noted above, but just with a need to physically close the valves to enter "quiet mode".

Hopefully this write up is helpful to someone. It seems there just isn't as much info out there for Astons as there is for some of the more mainstream marquees, and modifying exhaust can be a costly and important decision!

Also a note: Velocity AP just moved into a much newer, larger and overall nicer space - so anyone that has the pleasure of finding themselves in Southern BC or Alberta has an option to visit in person! Great guys and great products!