Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Has anyone installed the Naviks CarPlay unit for garmin based systems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 09:42 PM
mbrandt1402 is an unknown quantity at this point
The one year warranty is a non-issue for me. Modern electronics don't age. In most cases, they are DOA or they work for a very long time.

Production and engineering team rolled into one sounds like two guys operating out of a garage, which is somehow better than guys operating out of a house? And where do you think most electronics are manufactured these days? It isn't in the US. It is Korea or China.

That said, I have a friend with mechanical and electronic engineering degrees and he has learned to code at the hardware level. He is currently finalizing a military-grade engine, designed from scratch and running his software working out of a small shop with a small team. If Chuck built something in his kitchen for my car, I'd buy it in an instant, but I know the guy and what he can do.

DashLynx needs to get product into the hands of knowledgeable users and build some street cred. Not take swipes at someone that has actual product that works for these niche cars we love. Most Astons either have Volvo nav or Garmin (2011 to ??). The Garmin unit is a GVN54, and Garmin sold variations to many car companies. Learning that system would be a gateway into more than just Astons.

Last edited by mbrandt1402; 05-07-2024 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:59 AM
downeaster1 will become famous soon enough
The whole interaction is awkward at best. I was looking into the Naviks system, but Aston Martin themselves now offer a retrofit CarPlay option though the dealership that uses the factory joystick on the radio, rather than an aftermarket one. The OEM part number for the Garmin-based systems is 708971. Book time is 1.5hrs of labor, but an east coast dealer charged a friend 5hrs, so shop around accordingly.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:36 PM
downeaster1 will become famous soon enough

This is a screenshot from a friend for an OEM retrofit for a 15' Vantage at the dealership.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:11 AM
Teekster will become famous soon enoughTeekster will become famous soon enough
Mods, can we clean up this thread for those seeking info about Naviks installation? Perhaps the Dashlynx posts could be moved to another thread.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:37 PM
Teekster will become famous soon enoughTeekster will become famous soon enough
I tried it using CD, Sirius and FM radio. Unfortunately the joystick sends commands to both interfaces simultaneously. The reason it works in aux is that the joystick has no effects there, so you’re just controlling CP. since I use CarPlay for music, phone and navigation, it’s a non-issue for me, but if you listen to CDs, you have a problem.

sirius sounds better through the app anyways and FM is just awful.

This post will no doubt prompt the new guy into another post about how his nonexistent system is better. I have no stake in Naviks. The customer support I got from Naviks was outstanding. It was pretty obvious I was dealing with a small business. He answered his phone all weekend for my silly questions and always had an answer. He was even aware of the different revisions regarding the details of the waterfall.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:02 AM
mbrandt1402 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Teekster
I tried it using CD, Sirius and FM radio. Unfortunately the joystick sends commands to both interfaces simultaneously. The reason it works in aux is that the joystick has no effects there, so you’re just controlling CP. since I use CarPlay for music, phone and navigation, it’s a non-issue for me, but if you listen to CDs, you have a problem.

sirius sounds better through the app anyways and FM is just awful.

This post will no doubt prompt the new guy into another post about how his nonexistent system is better. I have no stake in Naviks. The customer support I got from Naviks was outstanding. It was pretty obvious I was dealing with a small business. He answered his phone all weekend for my silly questions and always had an answer. He was even aware of the different revisions regarding the details of the waterfall.
Thanks - that is what I assumed, and feared.

Navtool has a selection of products from CP/AA to cams-and-mirroring to cams only for the Volvo and Garmin cars (and Made in USA, so Dashlynx won't have that angle to attack). I was interested in their mirroring system, but they "upgraded" the control system to a hideous (IMHO) wireless remote. I assume they use that remote for the CP/AA units.

I updated the maps on our Garmin this week, so I may settle for adding front and rear cameras. We don't commute or run errands in our Vantage, so quickly/easily being able to select a new nav destination isn't as important for us.

I'm almost certain that the Sirius stream is the same as the satellite signal. Both are digital. If Sirius sounds better through Naviks, the Naviks analog conversion must be better than what Aston or B&O selected. That surprises me. A lot!

Thanks for testing. I came back to the thread just to see if you had posted results, but I will turn off notification again.

Last edited by mbrandt1402; 05-12-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:00 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
This has gone far enough and way off topic, which was a discussion of Naviks. Members please start another thread regarding Naviks and Dashlynx stay out of it. I would like to know what dog gretslox has in this game as he only joined to flame Dashlynx. I would ask you both to stay out of any subsequent discussion of Naviks. Thread closed

Old 05-12-2024, 01:23 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Teekster
Mods, can we clean up this thread for those seeking info about Naviks installation? Perhaps the Dashlynx posts could be moved to another thread.
yes we can and expect the discussion to get back to Naviks. In the meantime both Dashlynx and gretslox are barred from the AM forum while IB investigates this matter. Back to topic please.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-12-2024 at 01:35 PM.