Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

LT4 Vantage Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 07:38 AM
Digitalsolo will become famous soon enoughDigitalsolo will become famous soon enough
As I had to cut out the factory extruded aluminum tube to clear the dry sump pan, I had a solid pice of 6061 1/2" bar laser cut and welded in place. I then boxed the remaining open end of the tube on the left side of the chassis, and added a chamfer on the other side (clearance for the dry sump lines) and then plated that in as well. The welds aren't the prettiest with the contaminated subframe metal, but I'm confident they'll hold up fine.

This weekend I'll finish adjusting and welding/painting the engine mounts so that it's properly held in place on the subframe with no wood blocks.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:32 PM
Digitalsolo will become famous soon enoughDigitalsolo will become famous soon enough
Progress video!

Old 12-11-2023, 04:17 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow great job and awesome video showing all the work you have done so far

Old 12-18-2023, 11:52 AM
Thanks!

I've been working on the transmission fitment. The diff cooler is built into the rear cover of the diff, which interferes with the subframe "x" brace. Not a big deal, I'll just move that brace around, but another thing to consider. I also cut out the rear of the crossmember to make install/removal easier. I'll just put internal tube clamps on it to make it removable and put the strength back.

I modified the torque tube to clear the floorpan where it's tight. I cut out two notches (one per side) and then plated it back in with 1/4" 6061, welded internally and externally with the outside ground back to maximize clearance. It's TIGHT, but will fit and won't interfere during normal drivetrain movement. I need to make a tiny tweak to the front subframe for header clearance, then I'll put it all back in to measure torque tube length and send that off for modification.

While that's gone, I'll start on cooling system install. I will reuse the stock P/S low side lines and cooler, though I'll build a new pressure line. Oil and radiator setups will be all new, as I'd like to put in a bit heftier bits for all of that. Radiator is in hand, and I'll use a Chevy Volt cooling fan (Spal fans, PWM, low profile, brushless and perfect fitment). Oil cooler will go back in the stock spot, just swapped to one better suited to the -10 AN fittings, and I'll reuse the stock AC condenser with custom brackets on the new radiator. I also have to fit an air to water heat exchanger up there, then duct it all so that everything gets some air. I will have dual small coolers in the rear of the car, in roughly the stock tranny cooler location. These will cool the transmission and diff separately, as each has a built in pump but run different fluid types.

I also have everything to get the dry sump and breather systems installed. That should be pretty easy as the tank will go in the stock location on simple brackets. I have a Radium dual breather tank, and will use one to filter the dry sump tank and another for the engine crankcase ventilation. I plan to recirc both into the intake side to keep it from getting stinky. Once all of that's done, it's just electrical work and an exhaust system (just an X pipe back to my Velocity AP Valvetronic).

I'll do Powerflex bushings and 2 piece brake rotors while I'm in there, and finish adding the mounts for the rear roadster/"S" shear plate.

So far, so good...

Old 01-02-2024, 09:14 AM
Chevy Volt fans (Spal brushless PWM units that the OEM Corvette ECU can natively control), on a custom radiator. Converted the radiator to AN fittings (16 top, 20 bottom) and machined some spacers for the OEM Aston (Jaguar) AC condenser. Modified the OEM lower radiator support to hold the new radiator, and will build a custom upper mount shortly.

New oil cooler added, plumbed and ducted. I followed Aston's design with the oil cooler shrouding, though I made mine out of aluminum instead of plastic.

Next up is the heat exchanger for the supercharger, then building the radiator lines, and sorting out various tanks (dry sump tank/lines, supercharger coolant tank and pump, engine coolant tank, and power steering tank). I'll reuse OEM stuff where I can, and just fabricate aluminum tanks where OEM won't work.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:28 AM
Import will become famous soon enough
Im somewhat in awe following you on this journey…was offered a jaguar v12 unit for free yesterday….kinda tempted…ya know…just in case I’m inspired…lol…great work..

Old 01-02-2024, 01:41 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Import;4935081…[b
was offered a jaguar v12 unit for free yesterday[/b]….kinda tempted…ya know…
Had to grin when I read this part. I've been down the Jaguar V12 road. If I were traveling it again, I'd probably keep on going....LOL...

Old 01-02-2024, 04:57 PM
The plot thickens….lol

Old 01-08-2024, 07:18 AM
Completed the cooling stack. Supercharger heat exchanger added to the front of the stack for maximum airflow. I was able to reuse the stock power steering cooler and lines. Next will be tanks. Overflow tank, degas tank, power steering tank, dry sump oil tank, breather tanks. Lots of tanks.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:45 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Really impressive!

Old 01-08-2024, 11:03 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
The amount of time on previous builds necessary to be able to pull this off is - impressive. I'd be interested in the man hours you have put into this.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:21 PM
I do love following a project….soooo cool..

Old 01-08-2024, 01:24 PM
Thanks all!

I'm around 40 hours into this project so far, give or take. I think it'll take around 120 hours total effort.

I've probably got 5000 hours into car builds/swap work over the last 20+ years though.

Last edited by Digitalsolo; 01-08-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:13 AM
Waiting for the torque tube to be shortened, and a few things to arrive in the mail, so I started wiring work.

Have the main harness broken out, and about half cleaned up of extra circuits. I created all of the spreadsheets for finishing the engine harness and I'm about 95% done sorting out how to integrate into the Aston chassis side.

I have a system I'm accustomed to, which you'll see in the spreadsheet screenshots below. Just basic tables and color coding/connector labeling. Trying to utilize stock wiring and connectors as much as possible, with just a few quick connects to the engine harness. I'll also have quick connects on the heater hoses, fuel lines, etc, so that I can get the engine out quickly in the future if needed (hopefully, not needed often).

Old 01-24-2024, 07:26 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Looking good, nice to see the progress!

On a sidenote: maybe time to upgrade the 4.3 front brakes as well...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: LT4 Vantage Project