Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Quattroporte vs. V8 Vantage for daily?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:52 AM
jchoice is on a distinguished road
I don't like the way the M6 looks.

I'm actively searching for a QP now but still need to take one more longer Vantage test drive. The car will now be a 50% - 70% daily driver since my Hybrid will share DD duties.

Everyone complains about the QP's tranny but I like manual tranny on that car. I guess it's because I'm used to the tranny in the 360.

The Vantage is still on the table (it just looks so good) - I just need a longer test drive.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
CJA
CJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the rough
how many miles on urs now? any problem?[/quote]

I've got almost 1,900 on mine and it's been perfect. I drive it everyday. The only thing I do is avoid shifting into 2nd first thing in the morning. After about 5 minutes though, it's like butta...

Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 AM
turbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to behold
its sad that you have to avoid 2nd gear on a brand new car until it warms up. That being said, I spent some time in a V8 end of last week. Man, I don't think I'd ever cut the radio on. The feel and sound of that car are amazing.

That would get my vote...

Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
division4our is on a distinguished road
Well I would choose the Aston but my dad's kept our Quattroporte for about 5 months now, and THAT'S saying something considering my dad changes cars like clothes.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, I thought the QP drove better than the Aston but that could have been because I was already used to my 360 and the QP felt like a luxurious Ferrari.

I tend to enjoy my cars more over time as I get "used" to them.

Anyhow, I made my final decision on completely irrational factors - I pick up my new 2007 Aston Martin Vantage on Thurs. I happened to see a white one that someone had custom-ordered (not a standard color until 08) and fell in love. Couldn't help myself. Bought it brand new even though I could have saved 15k buying one used.

Thanks for all the feedback and input.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 AM
DropGems is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Good choice. Post pics of this color if you get the chance.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:56 AM
MrTheKid is on a distinguished road
QP all day everyday ... I have a sport Gt w/ Tubi and 20" HRE's i'm at 8000miles not one single issue.
I did not like the iterior of the Vantage. the stick had some issues and there was not enough power!

chk out my poorly produced video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslaog4-VqI

Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Nico will become famous soon enoughNico will become famous soon enough
Awwww.....so you chose the Vantage? Well...at least you came to a decision! Congrats! Make sure to post pics once you get it.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
TTM0TION is on a distinguished road
Great choice I was pulling for the vantage the whole time. Absolutly amazing car...please post pics asap.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Some thoughts:

I loved the way the QP felt. I was immediately comfortable with the car. I attribute this to the fact that I have a 360 with an F1 transmission so I was already used to the engine/tranny feel.

I was comparing a used QP to a used Aston and the QP was in the 80 - 100k range while the Aston was in the 105 - 115k range.

I hated how the Aston drove. I didn't even like the way it sounded. The shifter is clunky, the low roof of the car and the high dash make you feel like you're looking through a thin front windshield.

I liked the idea of using the QP to bring a few friends with me when I go clubbing (I'm in my early 30s' and single - gotta live it up a little!).

The QP had an "executive" feel to it which I liked. Since it had four doors, it was more practical than the Aston. The Vantage was the "baby Aston" while the QP was more of the "grown up" car.

I have a great private Ferrari mech (Eugenio) so I had no concerns about QP reliability whereas the Aston seemed to have many problems. My 2002 360 has been perfect so far.

Finally, I love Entourage and my man Vinney Chase road around in a QP.

BUT:

When I was shopping for a QP, I ended up falling in love with a specific color and interior combo (white with tan or ivory and piano black trim) that would have been nearly impossible to find unless I ordered the car new.

Buying a new QP or near new QP (I ended up wanting a Sport GT) put me back in the 115 - 120k range.

They are only taking orders for automatic QPs at the moment.

My business partner, who is also relatively young (30), kept saying that he couldn't picture me in a four door. So the biggest issue was the the thought of driving around a big four door by myself (which would be 90% of the time) was a turn off to me.

So... I figured I'd try the Aston AGAIN for the third time. It's always taken me a few weeks or even a few months to get completely used to a new car. When I first got the 360, I preferred the way my NSX drove. After a little bit more seat time, I fell completely in love with the 360.

So even though I didn't like the way it drove, I figured it was worth looking at again. Perhaps I just needed more seat time. After all, the reviews oof the Aston have been primarily positive.

My local dealer had killer lease deals (this is a company car) and plenty of Astons in stock. Trying to find the right QP was getting to be a pain and not really fun any more.

The thing that put me over was that the Aston dealer just happened to get a new car that someone had ordered and never took delivery on. He had asked for his to be painted the same pearl white that Ulrich Bez has on his DB9. He paid extra for the custom paint request. As far as I know, it's ultra rare as this color was not offered in the 2007 models although, they did add it as an 08 color. It has the iron ore interior which normally would make me say "yuck" but with white, it works really well.

Bottom line: I didn't drive the car, I just fell in love with the way it looked. It was there, the deal was easy, and I was done. Now, I might hate it after a week or a month or a year. Who knows. If I fall out of love, I'll just have to deal with it.

But after I saw it in white, it was a white Aston or nothing. There are very few things out there that I feel like I "gotta have". So I enjoy those rare moments where I get that irrational feeling of falling in love with something; it makes you sure of your decision and makes the whole purchase and ownership experience more exciting.

I get my car tomorrow evening. I'll post pics and impressions over the weekend.

Last edited by jchoice; 04-20-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Nico will become famous soon enoughNico will become famous soon enough
Acceptable reasoning. Great job with your decision.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
MY QP Sport GT. Love it,
i had ordered a Vantage when it came I drove it.... i looks killer but...
not enough power for me. so i spent a bit more $ and bought the GT500E from Unique Performance

My car in Luxury Modified Exotics from concorso in 06

My GT500E

Old 04-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Drove it just a few miles, loving it so far. The sound system is pretty good, the car is comfortable, and I can't stop looking at it - it's stunning.

The color is "morning frost" and has an insane amount of pearl in it. Did I mention that it was stunning?

I don't really care about the power that much. It's a daily driver for me. My 360 is my speed fix (tubi, hi-flo cats, intake, lowered - nice and raw).

Old 04-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Look at my QP sport GT w/ Tubi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslaog4-VqI

Old 04-21-2007, 04:42 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
pics? i saw a DB9 in that color it was awesome. i didn't want to wait 6 month to order one though so i passed. would love to see some pics! u're one lucky SOB!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quattroporte vs. V8 Vantage for daily?