Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thinking about an AM..need your input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
ef996TT is on a distinguished road
Thinking about an AM..need your input

Hi

I am thinking about getting an AM....now it will be used, wont be a daily driver but will be my second car...I have heard of problems with several years and models..I am looking for a week end car, trip...etc,
So I have my eyes on a DB9 or a Vanquish..I have found a Vanquish i the Seattle area, an 02, but would love to hear what you guys have to say regarding models and years...
Thanks for your input

Old 04-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ef996TT
Hi

I am thinking about getting an AM....now it will be used, wont be a daily driver but will be my second car...I have heard of problems with several years and models..I am looking for a week end car, trip...etc,
So I have my eyes on a DB9 or a Vanquish..I have found a Vanquish i the Seattle area, an 02, but would love to hear what you guys have to say regarding models and years...
Thanks for your input
Is this the Blue one?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
DB9 is one of the sexiest vehicles out there today, the *** on those cars is phenomenal. I almost bought one but passed as I have heard too many horror stories about their "reliability"
You cant go wrong with either one IMHO both gorgeous cars.
You should be OK if you are buying from a AM dealer, they get real finicky if you buy "their" cars elsehwere, ahh those Brits i tell ya, LOL.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks...saddly I am not even sure there is one in Seattle or at least not yet...So that is a concern...

The vanquish is Black on Black

Old 04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Couple of things.

First, I've been in the same indecisive mode on an AM for a LONG time. I've looked at several cars and just keep delaying. Most important to me is that whatever car I purchase is covered by AM's full warranty. If the car ever goes out of AM's warranty, you can still purchase an extended from the dealer, but it won't be the full extended. In the long run, it's worth the few thousand every 3 or so years for the coverage. FYI, I beleive I know the Black/Black Vanquish you are considering. I considered it, too, when it was in FLA. I had my local dealer run the VIN through their system, and it is out of warranty. Thus, no longer eligible for the full extended warranty. I took a pass on it. However, there is no record in AM's system of any damage to the car. You should absolutely consider having the VIN checked by your local dealer.

Second, the '02 MY of the Vanquish was not known to be the best. That said, I'm sure that if all the subsequent updates have been made, the car should be improved. This generally relates to software updates for engine managment and transmission shifting. Check to see that those updates have been done. Again, through the local AM dealer.

Third, depending on the kind of driving you do and your personal "style" the Vanquish v. the DB9 will be apparent. Personally, I like the aggressive look of the Vanquish. I find the DB9 to be smoother and more elegant, but the Vanquish is the one I really love the looks of. However, after having driven the Vanquish, I'm kind of turned off by it. I felt the seats were like overstuffed couches. I drove an S version, which is the penultimate, I suppose, but I came away indifferent. The interior is somewhat dated, and it just didn't give me the satisfying feeling that I expected. Haven't driven the DB9, but from my driving style the dealer suggests I drive a manual, as opposed to the paddle. The point is drive it before deciding. After driving a Gallardo, I was suitably impressed. Understand that I've been a longtime Ferrari owner. I still own several (both street and race cars). So, I'm used to a "fun" driving experience. The 'Quish didn't do it for me.

Fourth, AM's depreciation is ridiculous. The longer you wait, the better a deal you can get. I just find it so hard to plunk down $200K and have it be worth $150K the next year, $125K the following year, and so on. Who knows where the bottom is? They just keep going down, in contrast to Ferraris (some of the cars I've owned have held their value or even appreciated). Even the Lamborghinis are holding value better than the AMs.

Fifth, the recent sale of AM to Dave Richards is an interesting time, but we'll have to see what comes of it all. Dealer network must remain in place for a good ownership experience. Also, Prodrive is going to offer performance upgrade kits for AM cars. The Rapide is a green light, as is the Vanquish replacement (DBX?), and the DBS is entering production soon. Does this mean AM will become stretched too thin? We'll see. Also, know that AM will now retrofit Vanquishes with a manual tranny. Cost is about $25K.

Good luck. The Vanquish, for my money, is the best looking car on the road. Period.

CW

Last edited by CornersWell; 04-07-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CornersWell

FYI, I beleive I know the Black/Black Vanquish you are considering. I considered it, too, when it was in FLA. I had my local dealer run the VIN through their system, and it is out of warranty. Thus, no longer eligible for the full extended warranty. I took a pass on it. However, there is no record in AM's system of any damage to the car. You should absolutely consider having the VIN checked by your local dealer.
CW
I also looked at that Black Vanquish.Its the one with the AVUS Wheels. I decided to pass on it when I found out that the extended warranty wasn't available. A tranny on a V will run you $30K. Not worth the risk.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Don Relentless will become famous soon enough
i too have looked into the vanquish S as well, its such a ****in hot car, but way too problematic. i was detoured from it after inquiring about it from the service manager. he could not stress enough how i shouldn't get it so i went with an 07 amv8, cheap and and it looks great, but i must admit, it lacks torque. its a great touring car, sportscar, not a chance. having warrantee is a must with these things. the 02 vanquish is very a bad year, as well as the weathering of the leather that comes with a 4 year old car. good luck and 07 amv8s are going way below sticker about 10k.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks, i appreciate your input, i always had porsches...because I love them and you can drive them everyday pretty much worry free...which the more I read about AM is not the case especially with no dealers in the area....it might be wise to wait where the company is going under new ownership...
the cars sure look good
And yes we are talking about the same black vanquish...and i ll pass too for the same reasons and others on that car. Thanks again...the search goes on

Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
So if you get an AM that's still under warranty, one could theoretically keep it that way forever? If so, does that apply to buying a car with existing extended warranty? Interesting concept, would be a great sales tool if the dealers advertised it a bit more.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 AM
doccao will become famous soon enough
Went to visit my former boss since I heard about his brand new Vanquish. Unfortunately, it was in the shop that day