Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Missing items from S5...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 AM
dakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Ok, I'm going from a 2005 C55 to a new S5. However, I feel this car is missing some important luxuries a 60k car should have which my C55 already does. Here is what I have so far. Now, since I'm picking up the car today from the dealer some of this "might" be incorrect so please chime in if it is...

No power adjusting steering wheel
No memory seating on passenger side
No convenient entry and exit system for steering wheel and seat
No power head rest (not a biggie but it sure is nice to have)
Heated seats do not automatically back off the intensity over time.
No DVD/DTS audio decoding from stereo. Only does surround sound replication. (my c55 doesn't do this but new ones do as do many other vehicles, new and old)
Sideview mirrors don't automatically move down toward the curb when parking in reverse so I don't jack my rear wheels (living in downtown Chicago, this is huge for me)

I know this is probably some pretty petty stuff to a lot of people here, but I have grown accustomed to these luxuries and also expect them now in a new car which costs 60k. Heck, my C55 was less than 60k and it has a significantly more powerful engine. I don't know, I'm not starting this thread to just complain, but to get other people's thoughts on this. I am somewhat beginning to regret my purchase and maybe I just need a little reassurance.

Thoughts?
Side mirror does tilt down.
How often do you adjust your steering wheel?
Memory on the passenger side? I didn't know cars had that. Most people don't need it.
DTS audio? ALL stock/upgraded manufacturer audio systems sound like crap to my ears. I wouldn't even pay 400 dollars for Mark Levinson or B&O.

Just my thoughts on some of your complaints. We are all picky about certain things though. I really like the new C63 exterior and engine, but can't get over the cheap and ugly interior.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:59 PM
rs4fast is infamous around these parts
Don't worry about the little things, look at the bigger picture

Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
SolidGranite is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dakine
Side mirror does tilt down.
How often do you adjust your steering wheel?
Memory on the passenger side? I didn't know cars had that. Most people don't need it.
DTS audio? ALL stock/upgraded manufacturer audio systems sound like crap to my ears. I wouldn't even pay 400 dollars for Mark Levinson or B&O.

Just my thoughts on some of your complaints. We are all picky about certain things though. I really like the new C63 exterior and engine, but can't get over the cheap and ugly interior.
I adjust the wheel all the time because my girlfriend who lives with me drives it as well. Also, the C55 would raise the the wheel and move the seat back when you open the door so it's easier to get out for taller people like myself.

Yes, my C55 has memory on the passenger side along with 3 memory settings to boot. Again, I ride on that side of the car as does my g/f depending on who is driving. We both like the seat in completely different spots.

You are right, I don't really care about DTS/DVD Audio. Since I'm a techy, I just think stuff like that is cool. However, I would have to disagree with you on the upgraded B&O system. Sounds quite good and among the best I've heard. I have had many aftermarket sound systems and the only place stock systems lack is deep hard bass response. I'm not a bass guy so I don't mind...

Yeah, I have the EXACT same thoughts about the C63 so that is why I am in an S5 now. I really do love MB, but they just lost a customer for another 3 years or so until something better comes along. The interior on the C63 is just crap.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
LS417 is infamous around these partsLS417 is infamous around these parts
hows the S5 power/powerband compared to ure C55? butt dyno impressions ofcourse...

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I was skeptical at first but it's pretty darn close. I can easily feel the torque difference as the C55 has 50 more lbs. The C55 still "feels" quicker at all speeds, but the S5 isn't far behind. The 4 or 500 lbs in weight difference really holds the S5 back, but that 6-speed mated with the FSI engine are great. Both cars feel quite different but for all out acceleration the award would have to goto the C55.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:46 AM
dakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud of
I adjust the wheel all the time because my girlfriend who lives with me drives it as well. Also, the C55 would raise the the wheel and move the seat back when you open the door so it's easier to get out for taller people like myself.

Yes, my C55 has memory on the passenger side along with 3 memory settings to boot. Again, I ride on that side of the car as does my g/f depending on who is driving. We both like the seat in completely different spots.

You are right, I don't really care about DTS/DVD Audio. Since I'm a techy, I just think stuff like that is cool. However, I would have to disagree with you on the upgraded B&O system. Sounds quite good and among the best I've heard. I have had many aftermarket sound systems and the only place stock systems lack is deep hard bass response. I'm not a bass guy so I don't mind...

Yeah, I have the EXACT same thoughts about the C63 so that is why I am in an S5 now. I really do love MB, but they just lost a customer for another 3 years or so until something better comes along. The interior on the C63 is just crap.

Ahhh. Okay it makes sense with the girlfriend always driving it. I'm not a bass head either, just really picky about audio I like everything time aligned and equalized to the drivers seat to get rid of any peaks in the midrange or highs and to minimize the reflections. The B&O is great for people who want a fairly good system without going through the hassle of installing aftermarket equipment. 500 dollars on speakers, 800 on amps, 400 on a processor and 500 to install and you will have a system that puts any manufacturer system to shame. Most people don't want to go through hassle, so the B&O is just fine. Just trying to say that a stock sound system should not make or break someones purchase. You are an awfully nice guy to let your gf drive your car so much. The only time my gf drives my car is when I drink too much. haha Enjoy your S5. Debating weather or not to get one myself or wait for the rs5.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
interesting going from a 55 car to the S5, i test drove a S5 and then got back in my E55 and decided it wouldve been a stupid move - not as nice in the inside as the S5, but after getting on the gas... couldnt have cared less

Old 12-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by dakine
Ahhh. Okay it makes sense with the girlfriend always driving it. I'm not a bass head either, just really picky about audio I like everything time aligned and equalized to the drivers seat to get rid of any peaks in the midrange or highs and to minimize the reflections. The B&O is great for people who want a fairly good system without going through the hassle of installing aftermarket equipment. 500 dollars on speakers, 800 on amps, 400 on a processor and 500 to install and you will have a system that puts any manufacturer system to shame. Most people don't want to go through hassle, so the B&O is just fine. Just trying to say that a stock sound system should not make or break someones purchase. You are an awfully nice guy to let your gf drive your car so much. The only time my gf drives my car is when I drink too much. haha Enjoy your S5. Debating weather or not to get one myself or wait for the rs5.
You might be surprised to find the B&O in the S5 has a "driver" setting for the audio so the separation and imaging aren't off. Makes a surprising difference.. Check it out if you have time.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
interesting going from a 55 car to the S5, i test drove a S5 and then got back in my E55 and decided it wouldve been a stupid move - not as nice in the inside as the S5, but after getting on the gas... couldnt have cared less
Living in downtown Chicago, the S5 is plenty of power. I can barely use the S5 power let alone AMG power from an E55. The C55 was also plenty for me with the rough roads and god awful traffic.

Also, like I said before the interior on my C55 and the new C63 just doesn't cut it anymore. I feel the C55 is very classy and has nice materials but it just lacks way too much in options and available equipment I wanted so bad in a new car.

Decent NAV
Real IPod integration
MMI for adjusting everything in the car all the way to vent fan speeds etc.
Integrated BT
Proximity Key
Better than 1/2 way decent sound system
Voice Activation
Etc, etc...

The C63 has some of this stuff but is a pretty poor interior all together with things being out of place and low end materials used. The C55 does not have most of it and the NAV on this year MB is just awful. I could go on forever, but in the end I feel I made the right choice based on options I wanted and the amount of power available to my right foot. Audi nailed it when they designed this car and only missed a few details like I mentioned when the thread began. I'm just being picky and I know the perfect car does not exist... Just my opinion.

Last edited by SolidGranite; 12-31-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
golfusa997 is infamous around these parts
My brother-in-law had a C55 and I thought it actually had a pretty good sound system,def more bass then my S5. As far as aceleration I would have to say the C55 feels faster but maybe it isn't actually. Once my car is properly broken in I will let you know.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by golfusa997
My brother-in-law had a C55 and I thought it actually had a pretty good sound system,def more bass then my S5. As far as aceleration I would have to say the C55 feels faster but maybe it isn't actually. Once my car is properly broken in I will let you know.
This is true. My C55 felt considerably faster 1 year after ownership.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:05 PM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
Are you guys in favor of solid black or phantom black? please post advantages of each one. Thinking black, white, phantom black or grey.

Love the S5 so far. Dealer says they are taking orders for automatic now. He also said i can test drive a Rs4 which has the same tranny S5 will be getting so i get the feel for it.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm partial to Phantom Black as that is the color of my car. I do believe it will hold up against swirls and what not better than flat black too. The pearl gives the black color more depth but at the same time might not be quite as "sporty" as flat black.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Heated seats do not automatically back off the intensity over time.
My mom's E500 and my former ML55 had this feature and I HATED it! I want my heated seats to stay on until I turn it off!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by atomic80
My mom's E500 and my former ML55 had this feature and I HATED it! I want my heated seats to stay on until I turn it off!
LOL!! I can respect that. Personally I liked that feature though because my butt would burn if I left it on too long.

However, since Audi has 6 different levels of heat I don't really have that issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Missing items from S5...