Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

S5 or new M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
IMHO it's kinda stupid to compare a 335 to an S5. Perhaps the performance numbers add up to be a fair comparison, but that's where the similarities end.

The S5 is far more exclusive and costs about $5K more when optioned similarly (against a 335xi). The S5 is going to have a nicer interior and is being marketed as one step up-market from the "regular" 3-series.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned
mbphreak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by trojanman
IMHO it's kinda stupid to compare a 335 to an S5. Perhaps the performance numbers add up to be a fair comparison, but that's where the similarities end.

The S5 is far more exclusive and costs about $5K more when optioned similarly (against a 335xi). The S5 is going to have a nicer interior and is being marketed as one step up-market from the "regular" 3-series.
The physical size of the S5 alone begs it to be more comparable towards a BMW 6-series...

Old 03-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
I'd need to see proof (never really paid that much attention to Audi), but I know the S5 has a 354 hp motor compared to the 335i 300hp. And the 335i isn't that much lighter.

54hp difference counts for something I would think. And I do agree, the S5 is much better to look at no matter which way you... well... look at it.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Scryer_360
And I do agree, the S5 is much better to look at no matter which way you... well... look at it.
I'm sorry brain, let me get you your bottle of Grey Goose, it is after all 5:30....

Old 03-06-2008, 12:17 AM
tr1ggerx1 is infamous around these parts
m3 yummmmy =P

Old 03-06-2008, 01:46 AM
porsche23 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Guys if i'm not wrong,:--

AUDI A5 = BMW 328i

AUDI S5 = BMW 335i

AUDI RS5 = BMW M3

also i find it really stupid to spend 75+k and feel as if you're sitting in a 30k beemer 3 series.. why not spend a little more and go for the 6 series even though the base 6 series would not match the m3's performance . to give you an idea about what i'm talking about:---

m3

old m3 (much more driver focused interior)

again thats just my opinion

Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 PM
frap is infamous around these parts
I think S5 is not the natural competitor of M3. The M3 is much more faster and nice to drive. I would choose S5 though.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
I am thinking about both of these cars right now Trojan....did you ever pick one?

I drove the M3 the other day...LOVED it....felt great and the v8 rumble was nice. Steering, shifting, and handle was perfect for me - but i must say, the looks are AMAZING and the interior was OK at best.

The S5, in my opinion is one of the BEST looking cars on the road today. The interior is PURE SEX too - now i just have to go drive one and see if its up to snuff in that area. If so, and the deal is right, that might be the one for me...

I will say this - the moddability of the M3 seems better no??? I DEF plan on modding whatver car i get so that is an important issue to me.

(cool thread)

Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
I am thinking about both of these cars right now Trojan....did you ever pick one?

I drove the M3 the other day...LOVED it....felt great and the v8 rumble was nice. Steering, shifting, and handle was perfect for me - but i must say, the looks are AMAZING and the interior was OK at best.

The S5, in my opinion is one of the BEST looking cars on the road today. The interior is PURE SEX too - now i just have to go drive one and see if its up to snuff in that area. If so, and the deal is right, that might be the one for me...

I will say this - the moddability of the M3 seems better no??? I DEF plan on modding whatver car i get so that is an important issue to me.

(cool thread)
My wife loves the S5, so I guess that seals the deal! Unfortunately I have to wait for my E55 lease to be up this summer. Good news is that prices should soften by then.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Went to Seattle BMW to see an Alpine White/Black M3 Coupe today.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I was hoping that it would look better in the flesh but it just looks like a 335i with a cancerous growth on the hood and a little spoiler on the trunklid.

It might be fast - but it doesn't have the same kind of visceral impact that an E46 M3 has.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trojanman
My wife loves the S5, so I guess that seals the deal! Unfortunately I have to wait for my E55 lease to be up this summer. Good news is that prices should soften by then.
Ah i see...well both are great cars so either way you win.

I just have to go drive an S5 but as of now the M3 is looking mighty nice (esp after a spirited drive down some backroads here in PA!)

Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by lig

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I was hoping that it would look better in the flesh but it just looks like a 335i with a cancerous growth on the hood and a little spoiler on the trunklid.

It might be fast - but it doesn't have the same kind of visceral impact that an E46 M3 has.
Looks wise the M3 wont win many hearts (although its a sporty looking car for sure) but behind the wheel it made me a fan! Take one for a nice drive and see what you think.....

Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Looks wise the M3 wont win many hearts (although its a sporty looking car for sure) but behind the wheel it made me a fan! Take one for a nice drive and see what you think.....
Fair enough - but I doubt there will be any available for a while for test drives around here.

I'm sure it's a good drive - but I certainly wouldn't be swapping my C2S for one.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM
dsb
dsb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lig

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

My thoughts exactly. It didn't do much for me. I really want to like it but it needs quite a few visual mods before it stands out. Oh and they need to give the interior some love... at least for M spec cars. In my SLK55, there are quite a few visual elements that make it more aggressive and better looking than their lesser counterparts. In the M3, the only thing I thought looked really good was the CF roof. The rest is just EH.

S5 looks stunning inside and out. Their interiors are amazing and that exterior looks sweet too. A little tweaking and it would look perfect. As in:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=122541

Last edited by dsb; 03-17-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 PM
lig
^^^^^ we're definitely on the same page.

The CF roof looked cool - particularly on the white. The interior wasn't anything special at all.

If it had the more menacing touches of say a CLK Black Series like bigger flares and the CF diffuser I think it would be more enticing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.