Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ways to improve gas mileage on 2005 S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
trlengle is on a distinguished road
Ways to improve gas mileage on 2005 S4

I looked for a thread but was unable to find so I apologize if this is the same old question.

I'm considering buying a 2005 S4 and was just curious what are ways in which gas mileage can be increased. The car has a Labree exhaust, would that help or hurt?

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to all this so thanks for sharing and hopefully I can learn lots as this membership seems very knowledgable.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
S4 and fuel economy just do not go together. I can barely get 21mpg driving easy on the freeway.

Enjoy the relatively cheap fuel here in the U.S. I also have the Labree catback - it didn't really make any difference other than sounding much better than OEM.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Lig, are you in Seattle? I'm in Seattle, would love to check out your car as I have not heard the Labree exhaust in person.

The seller of the car said that he has seen around 15 miles better gas mileage per tank, which is not much but if that's true I will take it, with the new exhaust.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Yes - I'm in Seattle. You're welcome to have a listen anytime.

The S4 has been fantastic. Excellent daily for the PacNW.

Is it an auto or manual? The auto may have better mpg on the highway.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Great looking S4! I would love to take a listen, are you Downtown, Eastside? I work in South Lake Union and live in W. Seatle.

It is a 6 speed manual so I'm not sure how he is seeing the improved mileage. He also has the Revo Technik software so maybe that tweeked something to get better gas mileage.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM
lig
Perhaps they changed the gearing on the '05s or the Revo is working wonders.

I live near Seward Park so we're not too away from each other.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I spoke with the guys at Revo this morning and they said it is possible to see 10-15% gains in mileage. However, he said the reason people upgrade with Revo software is usually for torque/power performance which usually means more aggressive driving and that eliminates the mileage gains.

Seward Park, super close. I appreciate the offer of checking your car out, we will have to set up a time in the near future. Is their a way to chat privately in this forum?

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
krazpony1 is on a distinguished road
LOL....my S must of had a hole in the tank!!! Good luck!!! Sorry no extra info on that.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks krazpony...hopefully my tank will not have a hole and somehow work miracles with the MPG's I get. I'm 99% committed to buying the car but the one thing that does eat at me is the gas mileage. However, if I bought a Prius the lack of power would eat at me more

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 AM
PbPedis is on a distinguished road
If you want good gas mileage, skip the S4. It's terrible. There are the usual ways (eg. overinflate tires, light on the throttle, etc), but if you're going to drive like a granny, why get an S4?

I get about 15 mpg city, never seen >20 highway.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Yup, I know the mileage is crappy. I was just wondering what people have done if anything to improve. Does not seem like there are any good options so I guess I will just enjoy filling up the gas tank

Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
lig
Hey trlengle - PM sent.

And yes - 4.4 track MPG

9-15 city

14-17 mixed

21 = best ever tank on an easy trip to Portland.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 AM
PbPedis is on a distinguished road
One thing I forgot to mention above that actually works is to get into the highest gear you can and get there quickly by skipping gears. There is a lot of torque in this engine at low revs and it can happily pull from <2000 rpm in high gear. So you might go from gears 1-2-4 and you can easily stay in 4th or 5th in the city.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
skiS4fun will become famous soon enough
Not much you can do about it. It took me some time before I got used to going from my B5 to my B7 with the gas mileage.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I just grin and fill it up. I'm getting close to 20MPG with a lot of freeway driving, and it just goes with the territory.

I have heard a Labree in person (a couple of them actually) and I can attest that they sound fantastic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ways to improve gas mileage on 2005 S4