Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Looking at an A8, anyone have experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 03:18 PM
ara
ara is on a distinguished road
Cool Looking at an A8, anyone have experience?

my dad and i picked the a8 out of the competition and now i'm trying to find out if anyone has any experience with them. My dad is not a performance freak, just wants somethign comfortable and reliable. It's a black on black a8L, so what's the dilly?

Should we get it or not?

Thanks

Old 12-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Big, heavy and slow is what it is. Test drove one and would rather have a Q45 and pocket 40K.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:19 PM
ara
ara is on a distinguished road
well performance and weight is not important for us, the q45 is ugly IMHO and cheap feeling. The audi felt like a lear jet.But i'm just questioning reliablility.

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:32 PM
996turbo will become famous soon enough
That new Audi front grill is butt ugly. Other than that...I'd get an S8 myself.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:10 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by 996turbo
That new Audi front grill is butt ugly. Other than that...I'd get an S8 myself.
That new Audi front grill is fantastic in person. On the W12 A8 I saw and on many of the new A6s around here , Audi now has an strong aggressive face .
I think the new BMW 5 , esp the M5 is very good looking also . Am planning to get the latter - all the performance stuff that's driver tweakable on that car and it's programmable steering wheel mounted M button is too much fun to pass on for a family sedan that's 2 sec quicker 60-150 than a base 996 Turbo.
MBZs are bland - they all look the same , and I own two of them now and many over the years. I've had several Audis and Bimmers , too.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:26 PM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
M5 or S class. why would anyone get the A8

Old 12-31-2004, 06:39 PM
MKW
Originally posted by Moogle
M5 or S class. why would anyone get the A8
Because it looks cool to a knowing car nut like me and it's a total mystery to "ladies who do lunch " in their S-classes.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:22 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Looks like a hot dog. Drives like a school bus. Terrible!

Old 12-31-2004, 09:42 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
The A8 is a real sharp car, I would go for it.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:15 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
I like them a lot, but I think it was rated worst depreciating car sold in North America this year. It loses on average something like 30% of its value once you drive it off the lot...

Old 12-31-2004, 11:11 PM
MKW
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
I like them a lot, but I think it was rated worst depreciating car sold in North America this year. It loses on average something like 30% of its value once you drive it off the lot...
Then as 996 Turbo owners we wouldn't bat an eyelash - been there, experienced that .

Old 12-31-2004, 11:14 PM
MKW
Originally posted by LSM
Looks like a hot dog.
Then I like it even more if it's as yummy as one from Herm's Palace on Dempster ( or Dumpster as my wife used to call that road) !

Last edited by MKW; 12-31-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Banned
Ferrarislave is on a distinguished road
Wow the opinions on this site, The A8 is gorgous espacially the new Grills on Audi's they look great. Test drove the A6 4.2 and it was very nice the A8 is alot nicer.

The W220 Mercedes S-class is getting outdated and its redesign is on the way. The BMW 7 series is nice from some angles but the A8 is just perfect.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I love the new A8L - loved it first time I saw it on the road. These opinions of its ride are likely just guesses, as I bet few have driven it. All the reviews I have seen mention its amazing ride which has more sporting character than it's competition in the S430 or LS430.

Reliability is bound to be a problem - we had terrible issues with our A6 and now have the Lexus instead. The depreciation can work to your benefit, if you buy lightly used! The biggest depreciation hit is always the first year, so buy a 1 year old example with extended warranty (you'll need it) and you have a sweet ride for a sweet price.

I don't know of a single luxury car out there under 100k that is as attractive as the A8L. S-class is long in the tooth, LS is always driven by blue hairs, and Q45 is too wacky. When you get into the Bentleys and Maybachs you are in a different league. The Phaeton might be a great machine, but it's still a big Jetta.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:57 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Personally the A8 is one of the nicer sedans in its market space. I would take one at the drop of a hot if I needed another sedan, especially over the 5 series and the S class Mercedes. Feature and price they are further ahead of both Benz and BMW.

Anyway who buys a car as an appreciating asset?

Buying the wife an A6 she doesnt want the bigger A8 (damn shame)

Last edited by arthurk; 01-01-2005 at 01:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking at an A8, anyone have experience?