Sponsored By:

Audi unveils the R8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Tommy6030 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TUUNER
A 2005 A4 1.8TQ MT6 AWE/Sportec...feel better now???
Wow, glad to see we are all adults here

Old 09-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Subzero is on a distinguished road
now this is how a sport car should look like

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 AM
micah has a spectacular aura aboutmicah has a spectacular aura aboutmicah has a spectacular aura about
i think it looks amazing

Old 09-30-2006, 10:29 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Just sexy...anyway with the same 4.2 liter 420 hp engine of the current RS4, it should not be at its highest stage!
I hope the will have a more powerful version...

Old 09-30-2006, 10:45 AM
JonA4 will become famous soon enough
As soon as the Gallardo is bumped to 550+ hp then Audi will release the 500hp V10 version of the R8. There is no doubt.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:49 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Does not do anything for me.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:55 AM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
It looks like a great product for Audi. In general I like it. The V10 engine is supposed to be available in about a year if you really need more power. The actual USA pricing will be critical to see where it falls in the market. If it is priced at the 997TT level that will be a mistake. If it is in the 997 range then it will sell better. There are also rumors that they may put a diesel in it, but as much as I like the V10 diesel and Audi's Le Mans car, I'm not sure that is the right move for a sports car. You don't get the same sound or sensation.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:06 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tommy6030
Wow, glad to see we are all adults here
Originally Posted by Tommy6030
I'd hate to see what you consider nice looking cars
Yeah, the kind of adults that find it hard to accept differing opinions...well done...

EDIT: In my opinion, this car will not age well...if you want to buy one, go right ahead...you do not need our approval or validation...

Last edited by TUUNER; 09-30-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:10 PM
justdumb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Subzero
i am totaly in the freaking YYYYAAAAAA camp.
Gallardo looks very old in compareson. And the Porsche turbo just looks like a sissy girl in comparison.
The Gallardo can certainly use a freshening, but come on... this car looks straight out of 1998.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:24 PM
KelvinC will become famous soon enough
I think it's beautiful. As for the power. The car is estimated (for the 6-speed) to have an MSRP of just under 100,000. Why are people complaining that 420 is weak on power! The 996TT was well over 100,000 in price and had around the same power, people weren't complaining. The F430 has over 420hp but the price is closer to 200k, if not more. The Gallardo is also much more powerful, but as expected is also closer to 200k. The 997TT is much more powerful, but at 25k more in price, it's hard to think Audi had set its sights on Porsche's top sports car. As for the comparison to the M6 and the AMV8, well, I have a feeling most of you would put your money on the Audi.

Basically, this car seems to be quite close in comparison to the Carrera 4S, which very often hits 100k with a few options. The 4S has 60-70 less hp, granted weighs around 200lbs less as well. The GT3 is close in price but is most likely much more harsh suspension-wise for a sports car for the street (everyday driver). Considering the R8's fit and finish should equal if not surpass that of the Porsches, I would say this car is spot on on it's power vs. price point. It looks like a tremendous car, regardless of whether or not they "could" have put a V10 in the car. The styling is absolutly gorgeous to me, esp the front, but there are definitely some that will hate it; styling is of course subjective. The sideblade is controversial, but forward thinking in terms of automotive design and a step towards more factory individual personalization of exteriors. Personally I'd probably choose body color, but few of us have ever seen this car in person, and I choose to not judge until I've seen a carbon or aluminum side blade in person.

I wouldn't be surprised if Audi were to not offer a V10 in the future for the R8, but for those spending around 100k for this car, I'm sure they would be perfectly satisfied with the performance in comparison to the alternatives. The Audi TT was a dissapointing performer, but made it's mark based upon iconic design, and sold quite well. Audi is exceptional at automotive design, and the R8 may not be all things to all people, but no supercar ever is.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/09/...-2007-2008-r8/

Last edited by KelvinC; 09-30-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:35 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I dont like the black part on the side looks like it's cut in half and welded.haha but it's nice if it has the new DSG tranny..

I do love this though, especially if you can see it thru the back window

Old 09-30-2006, 02:58 PM
4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future4Wheels has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by KelvinC
I think it's beautiful. As for the power. The car is estimated (for the 6-speed) to have an MSRP of just under 100,000. Why are people complaining that 420 is weak on power! The 996TT was well over 100,000 in price and had around the same power, people weren't complaining. The F430 has over 420hp but the price is closer to 200k, if not more. The Gallardo is also much more powerful, but as expected is also closer to 200k. The 997TT is much more powerful, but at 25k more in price, it's hard to think Audi had set its sights on Porsche's top sports car. As for the comparison to the M6 and the AMV8, well, I have a feeling most of you would put your money on the Audi.

Basically, this car seems to be quite close in comparison to the Carrera 4S, which very often hits 100k with a few options. The 4S has 60-70 less hp, granted weighs around 200lbs less as well. The GT3 is close in price but is most likely much more harsh suspension-wise for a sports car for the street (everyday driver). Considering the R8's fit and finish should equal if not surpass that of the Porsches, I would say this car is spot on on it's power vs. price point. It looks like a tremendous car, regardless of whether or not they "could" have put a V10 in the car. The styling is absolutly gorgeous to me, esp the front, but there are definitely some that will hate it; styling is of course subjective. The sideblade is controversial, but forward thinking in terms of automotive design and a step towards more factory individual personalization of exteriors. Personally I'd probably choose body color, but few of us have ever seen this car in person, and I choose to not judge until I've seen a carbon or aluminum side blade in person.

I wouldn't be surprised if Audi were to not offer a V10 in the future for the R8, but for those spending around 100k for this car, I'm sure they would be perfectly satisfied with the performance in comparison to the alternatives. The Audi TT was a dissapointing performer, but made it's mark based upon iconic design, and sold quite well. Audi is exceptional at automotive design, and the R8 may not be all things to all people, but no supercar ever is.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/09/...-2007-2008-r8/
People didn't complain because the TT was launched back in 2000, before the huge increases in power. In 2000 the Ferrari 360 also made 'just' 400 bhp. So that puts things a little bit more in perspective.

Now I can't really figure out what Audi intended the direct competitors for the R8 to be. I don't believe it will be able to match the 911's handling and it's also more expensive than the 911. On the other hand the Turbo/Gallardo/F430 are far more expensive and outpower the R8. So it kinda falls in the middle (of nowhere).

Old 09-30-2006, 02:59 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alex911s
I do love this though, especially if you can see it thru the back window
Yup, seen the picture the engine cover is glass.

Bajo

Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Subzero is on a distinguished road
viedo of R8 in black

OMG it looks

the film cant be liked directly so just follow the instruction:

go in to

http://www.automotorsport.se/

then klick at :

webb-tv on the left menu.( the third word )

it is in swedish but just look att the r8 ( klick on r8 on the right menu) and dont care about what they say

Old 09-30-2006, 04:31 PM
KelvinC will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
People didn't complain because the TT was launched back in 2000, before the huge increases in power. In 2000 the Ferrari 360 also made 'just' 400 bhp. So that puts things a little bit more in perspective.

Now I can't really figure out what Audi intended the direct competitors for the R8 to be. I don't believe it will be able to match the 911's handling and it's also more expensive than the 911. On the other hand the Turbo/Gallardo/F430 are far more expensive and outpower the R8. So it kinda falls in the middle (of nowhere).
I'll agree with the statement that the 996TT and 360 were cars launched quite a while ago, but seeing as how they are still pretty damn quick cars today, there's no reason to be calling the R8 "weak" especially when it's power will be more than enough to compete with competitors at its price point, save the Z06.

Whether or not the R8 can outhandle the Porsche for me doesn't justify nor negate its importance as an incredible option for those shopping for a sports car in the 100k range. I think actually the opposite of what most people are saying, it's quite a compliment that people are thinking of it as a supercar that should have power rivaling a 997TT, Gallardo, or F430, as the styling most likely leads opinions to compare it directly with those exotics. I tend to be a little more "glass half full". I think the 420hp is great for a sports car of that size and price, and on top of it, I feel the design is better looking than most sports cars from any marque out there today.

Maybe since I don't have the money to actually own these cars, I can say honestly, that I would love to drive a car with 420hp to start off with, nevermind a car that looks as incredible as the R8. But if I was at the point where I could actually afford many of these supercars, maybe I'd be commenting on it's "lack" of power. Who knows.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi unveils the R8