Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Question regarding the multitronic transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Axis is infamous around these parts
Question regarding the multitronic transmission

This has been bugging me for 4 years now. I have a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Avant equipped with the multitronic transmission (6 spd. automatic w/ tiptronic). I find it very wierd that everytime when I start driving the car from a stand still it feels like that the transmission is slipping from first to second gear. I'm 100% positive that there is nothing wrong with my car since I drove other Audi A4's equipped also with the multitronic transmission and it does the very same thing. It's hard to describe what it feels like but it feels like driving a car equipped with a manual transmission when you're slowly releasing the clutch in 1st gear. Someone please enlighten me. It's feels very similar to the DSG transmission found on the new Golf GTi's although I know they're two completely two different things.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 AM
AudiGuy is infamous around these parts
multitronic is the CVT transmission. Avants do not have CVT's, avants are quattro automatic transmissions manufactured by ZF.

IMO all 1.8T quattros feel kinda mushy in the 1-2, but all other shifts are crisp and defined.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by AudiGuy
multitronic is the CVT transmission. Avants do not have CVT's, avants are quattro automatic transmissions manufactured by ZF.

IMO all 1.8T quattros feel kinda mushy in the 1-2, but all other shifts are crisp and defined.
That's wierd because my user manual / bill of sale clearly states that my car is equipped with the multitronic transmission. Maybe my A4 Avant is a little bit different with the ones in the US? yes? no? I'm located in HK. Can you also tell me a bit more about the CVT transmission? What makes it special? Thanks!

Old 10-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Owners manuals are generic and cover all models of the A4, regardless of engine or driveline configuration.

A multitronic transmission is a CVT. I find it hard to believe they call somthing else mutlitronic in other parts of the world, but its possible. Its very simple...is your car quattro or not? Is it automatic? the multitronic cvt is not avalible in quattro in any part of the world.

In the states at least its only avalible in the A4 sedans and cabriolets with front wheel drive automatic or in the A6 with the 3.0v6 and front wheel drive...The CVT is called as such as its Constant Velocity Transmission. It uses a small clutch pack like a conventional automatic transmission for shifting between stopped and moving and from forward into reverse and what not, other times as well but thats the basics of it. Once in motion it uses a chain driven over a set of cones that constantly changes the gear ratios by shifting these cones in and out. On hard acceleration the engine is always in its power band. Many people modify these cars because they claim that its faster to drive in the power band at all times.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:22 AM
AUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these partsAUDIHenry is infamous around these parts
It's actually continuously variable transmission, not what you wrote. It is called that because there are no set gear ratios.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 AM
yeah...brain fart. i was thinking c/v boots/joints.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the explanation... the wagon is getting replaced next week.