Location (State):

Item Condition:

GTR Deposit, anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 AM
james6290 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911C4S
Paying a markup on a car has to be the most idiotic thing a person can do. Why would anyone pay more than what is stated as the MSRP. Doesn't make sense to me. Yes, you might be the first one on your block to own one, but I guarantee in a few months the GTR won't be special. It's only special now, because of the hype created by NISSAN and how, Pleabs react to the marketing scheme. I said the same thing when the 997TT came out with a markup. Now you can pretty much pick one up for MSRP or a few dollars off.
I would have to disagree. If you can buy a GTR for 5K over and sell it the next day for 25K over, I would call that a good move. In most cases, with most cars, markup is pointless and one just pays it to have the car before their neighbor. But in cases like the GTR-markup to a point is reasonable-likewise, if an F430 can be bought for 50K over and sold for 100K over, that is also a good move. And in the case of the GTR, people are paying over, not only because it is in limited demand, but because it performs like a car more expensive than it is. I feel the nissan will retain it's hype and marked up prices for the life of it, possibly downgrade, but they will always be there. It will continue with the GTR and then the V-spec for however long that it produced. However, the hype was never created by nissan. They tried to market their car like any other manufacturer but it was the reviewers, the magazines, the first few test drivers and the videos of the GTR on the ring that created the hype. On a side note, the 997TT was great when it was launched because it was a great car for what it was, however, after so many cars were then made, it lost its value.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 AM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
agreed, it's buying into marketing hype. Demand created by PR firms and ad execs never lasts. Once the publicity machine stops getting money pumped into it reality and stability tends to set in.

I remember when the 350Z first came out and how everyone was clamoring to get one, now they're on every used car lot. Most of the people that are buying in hopes of flipping for a profit are betting on people with a low E.Q. that believe the hype generated.

And all this talk about cars being an "investment" is misguided (IMHO). Cars are a depreciating asset, not an investment. Investments grow by their very nature, whereas cars are victims of planned obsolescence by manufacturers and competition. Sure, there are a few anomolies out there, but even the coveted GT2 will lose actual dollar value the second it's driven off the lot.

Paying a markup on a car has to be the most idiotic thing a person can do. Why would anyone pay more than what is stated as the MSRP. Doesn't make sense to me. Yes, you might be the first one on your block to own one, but I guarantee in a few months the GTR won't be special. It's only special now, because of the hype created by NISSAN and how, Pleabs react to the marketing scheme. I said the same thing when the 997TT came out with a markup. Now you can pretty much pick one up for MSRP or a few dollars off.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kamran
PHP Code:
now if they would only sell them at MSRP... 
+1

If you are a VIP or Celeb there is a program to sell you one at MSRP with no waiting Their is a submission required to verify your celebrity status... NO Kidding!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Hey, how'd you like to be one of the schmucks that paid $20k over MSRP for their E60 M5? Only to find that within MONTHS they were at MSRP, then a few more months close to invoice (this when the SMG recall and failures hit)

Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned
M3-ADDICT is infamous around these partsM3-ADDICT is infamous around these parts
Can you put your name down and gt the car at MSRP if you wait long enough? I thought by signing up in advance, you surpass the premium hence the wait time. I figured if you want it now, you pay the premium. I guess it has changed to premium wait or no wait?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by james6290
I would have to disagree. If you can buy a GTR for 5K over and sell it the next day for 25K over, I would call that a good move. In most cases, with most cars, markup is pointless and one just pays it to have the car before their neighbor. But in cases like the GTR-markup to a point is reasonable-likewise, if an F430 can be bought for 50K over and sold for 100K over, that is also a good move. And in the case of the GTR, people are paying over, not only because it is in limited demand, but because it performs like a car more expensive than it is. I feel the nissan will retain it's hype and marked up prices for the life of it, possibly downgrade, but they will always be there. It will continue with the GTR and then the V-spec for however long that it produced. However, the hype was never created by nissan. They tried to market their car like any other manufacturer but it was the reviewers, the magazines, the first few test drivers and the videos of the GTR on the ring that created the hype. On a side note, the 997TT was great when it was launched because it was a great car for what it was, however, after so many cars were then made, it lost its value.

If you plan of flipping cars, then i agree with you for the most part but you still have to be very careful with today's economy. I, myself, wouldn't pay over sticker if I decide to keep the car for a long time.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
jsuh s14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
You have a wonderful and generous brother.
hahaha serious.. tell me about it. im so fackinggg excited haha. does anyone know if the ones that shipped into florida are for florida only, or are some of them for the west coast as well.

btw.. this thread has turned into a huge flaming session =)

Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned
oc6speed is on a distinguished road
I'm hearing 2nd week of July for my dealers in So. Cal.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Dvh
Dvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to beholdDvh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by oc6speed
I'm hearing 2nd week of July for my dealers in So. Cal.
I've been given a date of first week of Aug. for one of two I ordered in the state of WA. Don't even have an order # yet for the 2nd one ;(

Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i have more respect for people who pay markup and actually use the car than people who don't pay markup and flip them.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Infamous 997 has a spectacular aura aboutInfamous 997 has a spectacular aura aboutInfamous 997 has a spectacular aura about
I ordered this car for myself not expecting to flip it. If I intended to flip it I wouldnt have ordered it in White as I would hate to see it go to someone when its my favorite color. Only after I saw people asking 20 - 25k over did I say if someone wants to pay that premium I will sell and buy something else.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
I have been given an August delivery from Nissan North America. It has a build date and a delivery date in the system. Whether it makes it or not is up to the car Gods... but I have an official, emailed to me from NNA, delvery date.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speedoflight
i have more respect for people who pay markup and actually use the car than people who don't pay markup and flip them.

Haha, I know of one person in the Bay that does that.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
997GT3NM is on a distinguished road
Buying over MSRP is not necessarily idiotic, and I'm not sure why people throw that word around so much; if someone does something different than you do, or your don't agree with them, then they are an idiot. I'm pretty sure I know who is closer to an IQ below 20 points on here; those who throw that word around constantly.

Some people buy over MSRP because they can afford to and it just is not a big deal for them; why does that make them an idiot? The other question is, how much did they pay over MSRP? Right now, $5k over MSRP on a used 997 GT3 RS with 2K miles is a steal. If you can afford it, you would be an idiot not to buy an RS at $5K over MSRP. How about a brand new 2008 white GT3 RS? That is as good as it gets for the current RS models. If you got one for $15K over MSRP, I would say you just stole the car; the same goes for a green one.

Think of it this way: MSRP in most cases is used as a starting price for a car and most cars are bought below MSRP. But WHY does it have to be taboo (and you are an idiot) for paying over MSRP? Sometimes a car is worth more than MSRP due to supply and demand; it is that simple. And in the end, a car is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Period.

I think the MSRP issue for some guys (and gals) has to do with ego. They were brought up by parents who maybe knew how to buy cars and have learned that you just don't pay over MSRP for a car; in fact, you never even pay MSRP for a car. So you have it ingrained in your mind (brain washed is more like it), that if you paid MSRP, or worse yet, OVER MSRP (oh my god, what kind of an IDIOT would do that; don't they know? You never pay over MSRP).

Did any of you MSRP and below geniuses ever stop and think about how many cars you purchased well below MSRP, and in some cases took advantage of a dealer because of bad times? Now there are a few cars out there that can bring more than MSRP and the dealers are taking advantage of that; what is wrong with that? It is OK for you to steal the car from them when times are bad, but they better not do it to you when times are good for them. Is that how it works for some of you hypocrites?

I personally have never paid over MSRP for any car, and I have always paid below MSRP on my cars (and still do). But within the past 2 or 3 years I bought 3 cars at MSRP, which for me seemed out of character. But I did not complain, because I knew the market and I knew that what I was buying was just the going price, and I was especially lucky to get 1 out of the 3 at MSRP. The other two were borderline, but still ended up being worth what I paid when it came time to resale.

Recently I have been making offers on 997 GT3 RS's over MSRP. If it is the right color, mileage, and year, then I was offering anywhere from about $5K to as much as $20K over. Unfortunately I missed out on a private sale on a 2007 Silver RS at about $5K over. I am still kicking myself on that one; I was just a little too slow to get it.

I buy my cars to drive, not to flip and make money on them. Although I am basically on your side about paying over MSRP, you need to be fair and not use it as the end all measure for the value of a car. There are times that a car may be worth more than MSRP, and buying one over does not mean you have an IQ below 20.

But, if you are so closed minded as to think that anyone who pays over MSRP is an idiot (you just called a lot of people on here idiots), then my guess is that your IQ is closer to that 20 point mark! And if you don't like hearing that, then I suggest you not insult others on here.

Stephen

IQ right around 140; I'm sure there are many on here with a higher IQ than mine and I am OK with that. I have what was given to me at birth and try to use it to the best of my abilities; and, yes, grammer is not my strongest area; probably my weakest.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned
oc6speed is on a distinguished road
My dealers are telling me I've got a Super Silver and a Black one coming July 8th.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.