Item Condition:

996 or Boxster CF Front Hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:17 PM
SilverBlue is on a distinguished road
996 or Boxster CF Front Hood

SOLD....

Sorry, local purchase in the San Francisco Bay Area only.

Painted Arctic Silver, in excellent paint condition.

Purchased from another 6speeder a while ago, but never bothered to install it.

Last edited by SilverBlue; 07-16-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 AM
doccao will become famous soon enough
Might be interested...do you know the weight and fitment on 996TT?

Old 02-19-2007, 12:47 AM
It'll fit on a 996TT. That's what the previous owner had it installed on. I'll have to get back to you on the weight tomorrow.

John

Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 AM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
who makes it and how was the fitment when installed?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:35 AM
More Info...

Doc,

The hood is still hidden behind my wheelset and a whole lot of stuff, so I'll weigh later this afternoon. I suspect the weight savings is about 10lbs or less, as the stock aluminum (I think) hood is likely to be pretty light.

Eddie,

My recollection (I bought this two years ago from SEH) is that it's an MA Shaw piece and that the fitment on his 996TT was very very good. Likewise the paint is in very very good condition, but not as perfect as a factory job. As close as you can get with an aftermarket paint job.

Here's the underside of the hood. It's still naked. There's a small spot near the top of the pick where the carbon fiber was treated to a little clear paint. It could be completely painted and clear and the effect would really gloss up the carbon fiber.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
That sounds like a really good deal. How much is this peice new?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:51 AM
My guesttimate is $1000 plus paint.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
if this is an MA Shaw hood (i had the same hood), here's the deal:

the hood is fiberglass with a carbon fiber overlay. i never weighed it, but the CF hood felt considerably lighter than stock (less than half). the fitment is as good as it gets with these things. my personal hood had about an 1/8" rise on one side. you would probably have to go through 10 of these to find a perfect one. i personally paid about $600 for mine unfinished. however, i also bought a front bumper along with a rear decklid and rear wing, so i got a small discount.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:13 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
So this hood for sale is not really CF?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I can't tell for sure if it's CF and fiberglas as Mark says. Short of sanding off the paint I cannot tell if CF ends and meets fiberglas or not.

Bottom line is it's light, has at least some carbon fiber component to it, it weighs only 14 lbs, and is a good price especially if it matches your color.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:57 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
man is this tempting....it would be PnP for me!!

aaaarrrgh!! $400 huh? hmm...I am in So Cal...so the shipping would be a mess I am guessing....oh but a little extra weight savings...on a cab is good no?

EDIT - also in the pic...it does not have holes for the front emblem. So are you supposed to NOT run an emblem?

and last stupid newbie question...this hood that has a CF overlay...so it is like a silver over the CF and you can still see the CF texture? Or does it visually just look like a regular old hood. Does anyone know what I mean? I have seen RED CF hood..and BLUE CF hoods...I am wondering if this hood visually looks like CF...or does it look like an OEM hood and you are simply being stealth in weight savings? I cant really tell from the pics.

Last edited by AsianImage; 02-19-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:58 AM
The hood looks stealth. The outer side is all silver. Correct, there are no holes for the badge so one could drill the holes and add the badge, or rather leave it naked and only people in the know would understand :-). This item isn't for the rice oriented who scream "CF!!!" with a hood of honor.

John

Old 02-20-2007, 02:11 AM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SilverBlue
The hood looks stealth. The outer side is all silver. Correct, there are no holes for the badge so one could drill the holes and add the badge, or rather leave it naked and only people in the know would understand :-). This item isn't for the rice oriented who scream "CF!!!" with a hood of honor.

John
OK got it...

Dang...if you were in So Cal you would have my paycheck. Maybe it is a good thing you live up north.

If you decide to ship maybe we can chat again. I know you prefer a local pick up.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:47 AM
24lemans is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AsianImage
EDIT - also in the pic...it does not have holes for the front emblem. So are you supposed to NOT run an emblem?
You could just pick up an OEM RS Hood Emblem Decal from Carnewal.com

Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
i went without an emblem for weeks, but i opted to eventually drill holes for a silver one.

Last edited by Mr Kram; 02-20-2007 at 05:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 or Boxster CF Front Hood