Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Can you self service the CGT ?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Geo3 is on a distinguished road
Do you think there may be a GT/GTC owner/enthusiast out there, who may set up a site devoted to DIY maintenance of the these models?

It would be great to see and read "how to" articles, etc. on those wonderful machines.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 PM
speedy1wrc is on a distinguished road
I'll try and answer a few questions here.

VAG-Com will work on Bentley, yes. It covers all* VAG lines including VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda/Lamborghini/Bentley...

You need a VAG-Com or similar for the rear calipers to retract the pistons. The applies to the Audi A6/A8 and Continental. They all use a similar brake setup. Looking at the front suspension you will see that they share a whole lot more too.

You can never use a C-clamp on rear calipers whether a VAG product or not. Rear calipers must be screwed in no just pushed in. Not to worry as any decent brake caliper tool will assist with this.

The dealer may use a VAS 5054 or VAG-Com. Most likely the VAS 5054 since it talks to VAG central for things like radio coding and key coding too. It also interfaces with their parts system.

So for DIY you most certainly can do much yourself. However some things are less DIY than others.

An oil change is easy. However removing the belly oan while on stands of some sort is a chore. There are 6 torx screw in each fender well, 6 across the front and then 6 others in the middle. Then you need to support the belly pan and extract it too. The filter isn't bad you only need a large socket to loosen it then hand turn to finish removing it. I would recommend re-orienting the air hose clamp slightly otherwise re-installing the filter is awkward. Loosening the clamp then turning it slightly upward can give you just enough clearance to get the filter aligned and back in place. Getting the belly pan reaigned and in place while on your back is...fun. Leaving it to someone with a lift might not be a wholly bad idea.

I believe i saw someone post a cost of $200 to have it done and that's not outrageous. Even on a lift working at a comfortable pace it's about a 1.5 - 2 hr job. synthetic oil at around $7/qt plus the labor will put you in that ball park. I just did one today for a good customer and barely broke even at $150. Oh and don't forget a new crush washer for the drain plug!

For anything diagnotic VAG-Com is the way to go The cheapest entry level setup is a few hundred dollars so it isn't for everyone. You'll need it for rear brakes and reading any mfg specific codes. Other than the basic powertrain codes that a generic reader gives you, VAG-Com will allow you to read measuring blocks for every module rather than just 0 that standard readers give you.

I probably missed a few posts here and there, but hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.

You can also contact me directly. I don't always get a lot of time to answer specific emails, but I try!

Mark
Wetzel's Imports & Exotics
716-508-0878
mark@wetzelsracing.com