Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Owner satisfaction, and Color combinations, what would you change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM
1960apache has a spectacular aura about1960apache has a spectacular aura about
Owner satisfaction, and Color combinations, what would you change?

I guess this is how it all starts. I have been looking for a new car for about a year, I haven't found anything that grabs me by the jewels, at least til now!
I was settled on the new M3, but was going back and forth between black/white exterior with red/black interior combination's and also just waiting the market out! Within the last 6-9 months, they have gone from $5k-$20 over sticker, but are now near invoice with the lots are flooded with cars like all other manufacturer's!
So while I have been waiting, I figured the 6 series is not far from the $70k sticker of the M3, then of course I like the XK8/XKR, then I am, not too far into 2004-2005 Continental GT territory at this point, and then, not far off from the 2007-2008's that are on the market. And of course I made the biggest mistake of walking into a dealer that has a GT Speed, big mistake!! I went from thinking about $70k to $180-$200K! Now, nothing else seems worthy!! Why, why, why did I do that? Kind of like "sorry I slept with her honey, but she was a Supermodel and I couldn't pass that up"
Anyway, I have spent endless hours using the Bentley Configurator, and have seen some of the common combination's at the dealership! I keep going back and forth with just plain basic Baluga/Baluga, to what I really want, one of the darker shades of Green. I like the Midnight Emerald, but from some angles it looks like dirty black or something, but in the sun, it looks killer. But basic black looks great and never gets boring!
So here is the question? How satisfied are you with purchasing a GT, based on the color combination, the year you bought, if you bought new or used, if you feel you should have waited to cars like the GT Speed to come down in price in a few years or?? And mostly, how do you still feel about the color combination you have, and if anything, what would you change? Do the light colors seem to lose their appeal, in addition to getting dirty easily!
Like I say, I like the basic dark/dark combination, but saw some of the Baluga/Ivory type combinations, Dark Green, tan/dark brown combinations that I like and they look like the classic colors for a British car!
So post your thoughts and experiences, and also based on when you bought and the current new and used car market?
Actually, I am almost leaning toward getting the M3, or low milage 2004-2006 GT and waiting for the speed to come down in price! For the hit I think I would take on a new GT Speed, I could drive the M3 for a few years, and the depreciation on the GT Speed will probably be the total price of what I will pay for the M3, (an 08/09 GT Speed will drop $70k in 2 years, which is the cost of the M3) and that way I could have the 2 cars I want for what I would spend on a new GT or GT Speed, if I buy now instead of waiting?? I am about 50/50 on which way to go! I would love to have a new GT Speed built exactly like I want, and keep it 10 years because I don't get bored with my cars to quick, but I just don't want to take the initial hit, when I would be happy with a low milage 06-08!
What are you thoughts, I know nobody has the financial crystal ball, but what do you guys think is going to happen in the market with these cars? And realistically, what is the real world price on a new GT Speed? The dealer's tout "Agressive Pricing" but I really am not sure number wise, what that will be, and there are quite a few low milages used ones on the market that seem to be a good buy compared to a new 08-09!