Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Reduce the Creation of Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Reduce the Creation of Swirl Marks

I recently stumbled on a method that makes it easier for me to wash my cars and, I think, may reduce the creation of swirl marks. What is needed: (1) a pressure washer with low psi, (2) a CR Spotless Water Deionizer and optionally (3) an Air Force dryer blower. In addition, for best results, this method needs to be used on a car that is polished and waxed on a regular basis. This new procedure allows me to clean my cars without applying car shampoo with a pad or wiping my cars with any kind of towel - thus it should reduce the creation of swirls marks. I have noticed that the dreaded swirl mark is a hot topic on this forum.

I had been using the above for some time with great results except I was using a microfiber pad to apply the car shampoo. I had abandoned drying the car with towels weeks ago when I purchased the CR Spotless. I would first use the pressure washer to remove as much dirt as I could from the wheels and the rest of the car. Then I would apply the car shampoo with a microfiber pad. Next I would use the CR Spotless system to rinse the car. And last I would use the Air Force dryer blower to get as much water off of the car as I could. As a side note, the Autoglym products, sold by the Bentley dealer, work great. I use another well known brand of wax on my 2 Mercedes and Autoglym on the Bentley. While the other brand works well, the Autoglym wax works the best by far.

My pressure washer (electric low power) has a soap dispenser so I decided to try a little experiment on my 11 year old silver ML430 by using the soap dispenser to apply the car shampoo. I also decided to pre-rinse the soap off with the power washer without using a pad first. I was amazed with the results . I decided to try the same thing on my 8 year old red SL500 and again the results were great . Now I was ready to try this on my new Onyx (black) Bentley GT. The reason I hesitated was that the Bentley’s brakes produce the most dust of the three and while the pressure washer can get the dirt off well, grime is another matter. Also, for those of us who have owned a black car, we know black is the most challenging color to maintain. Well, it worked great on the Bentley as well . When I got through, I used a white towel on the bottom of the door panels and the back bottom portion of the car to check for grime. There was literally no black grime to be found. It actually worked better on the Bentley than on the Mercedes cars. The only difference is that I used Autoglym wax and shampoo on the Bentley and another brand (that I have been using for years and years) on the Mercedes.

After a little research, I have concluded that by applying the car shampoo with the pressure washer, the soap acts as an emulsifying agent (detailed article: http://chemistry.about.com/od/cleane...oap-cleans.htm). Then, by using the power washer to do a pre-rinse, the dirt and grime are blasted away. If any of you know of any future problems I might encounter by using this procedure, please let me know. Or if you have any refinements, let me know about that as well. Or if you think I am stupid and should have known about this in the first place, I can handle it (I am waiting Dr. Disaster ).

Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I don't know about you but I just like rubbing mine.

I too am evolving as a car-cleaner enthusiast. I have not reached such lofty heights as Grwisher but being the neanderthal the I am my improvement is retarded.

I was told by my professional detailer that the soap application in the pressure washer was the key to lifting the dirt from the surface before any rag or pad is applied. I have not bought it yet but have only washed the car once since the polish and Opticoat. That nanocoating is the bomb because bugs come off very easily.

Now let me re-read Gr's post to gouge at him some about his new **** car treatment.

After further review I conclude that Grwisher has, after owning a ML, SL and GT, finally learned to was his cars. For your final test please come by and clean mine.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I was told by my professional detailer that the soap application in the pressure washer was the key to lifting the dirt from the surface before any rag or pad is applied.
So it may not so crazy after all. Please ask your detailer if doing a rinse with the pressure washer could be substituted for using a rag or pad. Or was he talking about drying the car as opposed to rubbing the soap around prior to rinsing the car.

Regarding your remark: "I don't know about you but I just like rubbing mine." That is what polishing and waxing are all about my Neanderthal friend. Does the Opticoat procedure eliminate polishing and waxing? I haven't read anything from you as to how Opticoat is doing for you. Any words of wisdom? Was it worth it?

Last edited by Grwisher; 05-15-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I do not need to polish or wax and will not for at least five years. I had a polish paint correction to remove all the swirls and then had the Pro apply Opticoat. I paid $900 for the whole treatment and it took him 15 hours.

The one time I did wash the car I was going to hook up the pressure washer to pre-rinse and use during the washing. I got lazy and just pulled out the hose. I went to the front to test the big resistance and put a finger over the hose to generate a little pressure. 95% of the bugs came off, no soap , no rag no nothing! Since that time I have not had the car out in the rain so dust and bugs is all I have dealt with. I use a duster and the Adams Detailer to wet the car and wipe gently with a microfiber. I use another to wipe to a shine. My pro made me throw away many of my rags and buy new ones telling me that I was the cause of most of the damage. I am **** about my rags now and love this coating. You should check it out. Opticoat.http://www.opti-coat.com/

Go to his site(Trushine)http://www.trushinedetailing.com/ to check out what he says on the whole matter but if you are lazy like me then here is the synopsis. Pressure pre-rinse, pressure apply soap and let sit, just like the article you linked to . Rinse and use a wool rag mit to wash the surface using grit guard in the buckets X2 one wash one rinse rag. Final rinse blow dry and use a detailer for final shine if desired.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 05-15-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 PM
bmw tuning is on a distinguished road
good info thanx